Lapua 300gr HPBT .338?

hooksz86

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2011
panhandle of Oklahoma
Does anyone have any experiance loading the lapua senar bullet in a savage 110BA 338 lapua. Im just wanting to know if Im able to seat it out to the lands 7 to 10 thousands off and still fit in mag. I am able to with the matchking just wanting the higher BC with the lapua.

Re: Lapua 300gr HPBT .338?

seating closer to the lands may not give you better performance. In fact I found that seating farther from the lands (in order to get the rounds to fit in the mag) gave me more consistent MVs.

Odds are not even close unless you have a CIP length mag
measure the inside of your box mag and load .015 inside of that
to insure proper feeding. Good Luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: longdistance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone have any experiance loading the lapua senar bullet in a savage 110BA 338 lapua. Im just wanting to know if Im able to seat it out to the lands 7 to 10 thousands off and still fit in mag. I am able to with the matchking just wanting the higher BC with the lapua. </div></div>

Not trying to flame you or anything but... Just a suggestion. Have you measured your chamber to determine the distance to the lands with the Scenars? The 110BA has the CIP mags 3.850". The Ogive design of the Scenar is not meant to be jammed or just off the lands, you will find around .010-.015" will work just fine. I load 2.980" (Ogive) or 3.713" COAL and they fly very well your rifle will tell you what it likes. My 110 BA loves them.
Sully

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diego-ted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sully, how is it going with your BA, did you re-barrel or did she come around?

Diego </div></div>

To tell you the truth it must know it's getting an upgrade the last 2 times I've had it out it has performed better than it ever has with the H1000/300gr Scenars. Logging .5 to .75 at 800 and 1000 yds. When the weather clears i will take that load out to 2000. The upgrade should be complete by April as Mark Channlyn will have the barrel done and be ready to fit. Went to his shop last month and it was an amazing thing to witness him building his barrels.
Sorry to the op for hijacking their thread!
Sully

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 402</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diego-ted</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sully, how is it going with your BA, did you re-barrel or did she come around?

Diego </div></div>

To tell you the truth it must know it's getting an upgrade the last 2 times I've had it out it has performed better than it ever has with the H1000/300gr Scenars. Logging .5 to .75 at 800 and 1000 yds. When the weather clears i will take that load out to 2000. The upgrade should be complete by April as Mark Channlyn will have the barrel done and be ready to fit. Went to his shop last month and it was an amazing thing to witness him building his barrels.
Sorry to the op for hijacking their thread!
Sully </div></div>

1/2 MOA at 1k sounds good to me?? What is the new tube costing, if you don't mind me asking. I am about 1/4 of the ways used up on mine!! LOL Me too sorry for the HJ.

Diego

I finally got time to work in a load for the lapua
88.6 grain of H 1000
Berger 300 grn VLD
C.O.A.L 3.681 The VLD is so long it wont clear my chamber fits the C.I.P mag easy but has to be this short to chamber.
Fed. 215 primer
2738 FPS 10 FPS ES
.7" group at 200 yd. I was very happy with this load could be a tick faster but easy bolt lifts on remington action.