• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

lapua vs nosler custom cases

Re: lapua vs nosler custom cases

I've yet to buy lapua but they're around the same price. I have nosler haven't put them through they're paces so i don't exactly know how many reloads ill get out of em. Although weight sorting them they were all very close together. They're already deburred and the flash hole is already cleaned also, i can't complain. Prepping them is pretty effortless. I've also heard that norma manufactures nosler's brass so that could be.

Theres less brass prep with nosler imo. The problem with nosler brass is the thin necks. Unless your have a tight neck reamer there is going to be a huge neck expansion. The case necks will be overworked as well. Nosler brass works great in my .291" neck .260 with no turning. Unless you have a tight neck I would stick with lapua.

With Lapua...do you have to size them at all before loading or chamfer the mouth? I've never bought them before but might lean that way if theres no inital brass prep which would be really nice.

My current batch of Noslers are going on it's 4th loading and I am getting quite a few loose primer pockets. The primer seating is very inconsistent too. Out of the 200 or so in circulation, I have lost around 15 cases.

With all new brass, I at least size the necks with a mandrel. Not a expander ball. The mandrels give me the least amount of runout in the cases and gives me .001 neck tension no matter what type of brass I use. The latest case of Lapua I used had a lot of dinged necks.

My Noslers lasted 2 loadings in a Palma 98 chamber, after that all the primer pockets became too loose, had to throw the whole lot out (not very happy).

I contacted the Q-Store in Brisbane (AUS) whom I had purchased them from, I was not alone the shop actually pulled them form sale.
Further more I contacted Nosler directly, in the end they blamed my chamber (SAMI specifications loop hole), hard to believe as the reamer used to chamber my barrel was brand new and installed by one of the best barrel men in Australia.

Anyway went back to Lapua in the same barrel I got 17 reloads before I retired them to hunting brass, where they worked fine for a further 7 reloads before the necks split.

Hopefully i wont run into those problems. I'll be trimming 50 of them for the first time in the coming weeks. They've only been shot twice. If it does happen i'm sure ill go to lapua also. Trying to get out and shoot more since it's the summer work is keeping me from it. Also at the time i got mine nosler .308 brass was cheaper, the prices have risen and are more than or equal to lapua now.

I have shot the Nosler over 10x I think around 11x-12x and it was just as reliable as the Lapua. The quality is there as well. However from what I can tell the nosler is a bit softer, not that I have seen any issues with it. The Nosler is more money than the Lapua and I have shot Lapua for so many years and never had any issues I will stick with the Lapua.

45.5 grn of AR2208(varget), hence my disgust!!, in the Lapua I use 45.5 of 2208 again until I get to 1000yrds then I run 45.9grn or if its summer I will pump it to 46.3grn, Lapua really is fantastic stuff.