• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

LaRue MTB 2S vs Geissele SD-C

TheRiddick

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2023
NY
Scoured the threads and I’m between these two. I want 2 stage good for overall use that will last. I like the tactical and duty options - I’m not competition shooting but I’m on the market for something good for CQB and long range if needed.

Most posts say MTB-2S is best bang for buck but if 171 is not prob would you still say the LaRue over the Geisele?

Right now AR15 discounts has the Larue for 90 and Geisele is 171

Man, $171 is good for a Geissele. I’ve got a bunch of them, and they’re now the only triggers I buy. Buuuuuuuuuuut, the Larue is supposed to be a very good trigger. I don’t have one, but I do have several SSA-E and SD-E triggers, along with a G2S and a Rock River NM. A novice can pick out the better trigger by pull alone.

Is the G trigger double the money better? If I were outfitting an arsenal of SHTF rifles for family and friends, no. But, for a personal rifle, yeah it is to me.

That said, at this point I could outfit a number of people with rifles, and they all have G triggers. So, don’t listen to me. 🤣

I own two Geisseles (SSA-E and SSA), and about a half-dozen Larue MBT-2S. I don't notice a whole lot of difference between the SSA and MBT-2S, but the SSA-E is definitely about a pound lighter. I've had ZERO durability issues with either.

I don't own a SD-C, but the trigger pull weight is about on par with the SSA. I would assume that they are pretty equal.

Whether the SD-C is going to be worth $81 more is going to be up to the individual buyer. Both triggers are going to give you a lot for the money that you say that they will cost.

Scoured the threads and I’m between these two. I want 2 stage good for overall use that will last. I like the tactical and duty options - I’m not competition shooting but I’m on the market for something good for CQB and long range if needed.

Most posts say MTB-2S is best bang for buck but if 171 is not prob would you still say the LaRue over the Geisele?

One has millions and millions of rounds down range in combat zones, one does not. Having said that the MTB is really good, and is extremely good for the money.

Explore trimming the spring in the Larue 1/2 coil at a time, and maybe a little ceramic stoning……

About 15 minutes of time of work nets you a very good improvement.

1 1/2 coils is a sweet spot, so I have heard……

I dont think I will be buying any more Geissele triggers, and yes, I have 3 of them.

I own two Geisseles (SSA-E and SSA), and about a half-dozen Larue MBT-2S.
Budget aside, if you could only pick one, which would you go with?

One has millions and millions of rounds down range in combat zones, one does not.
Which one is that? 😅

Explore trimming the spring in the Larue 1/2 coil at a time, and maybe a little ceramic stoning……

About 15 minutes of time of work nets you a very good improvement.
This is trigger level expert lol I’m no where near there right now. 😭

Budget aside, if you could only pick one, which would you go with?

Which one is that? 😅

This is trigger level expert lol I’m no where near there right now. 😭

Far from it.

Goofy redneck with 3 functioning axon/dendrite connections and slightly better than average mechanical aptitude.

Meaning, I can use a tape measure if some of the time and know to hold my Crescent brand adjustable hammer at the end away from the smacker part…..

The SSA-E is crazy nice. And $$$
I cant justify that $ on my budget.
The MBT is darn good right out of the box. It wont be the limiting factor hitting yotes or steel to 500 IMO. 🤷‍♂️

I have both. The G trigger is noticeably better. Both work fine even after considerable use. Both are head and shoulders above run of the mill triggers. Neither are as good as the ancient trigger work from CLE when they rebuilt my service rifle.

If you want to save some $, just buy the G trigger. You know you want one and will eventually buy one to replace the “cheap” LaRue 😆.

It’s unlikely I’ll buy another G. The LaRue does what I need for everything except match rifle.

• Haha
Reactions: TheRiddick
I just took a Geissele hs nm out of an ar 10 and put a Larue in it and I think it’s an upgrade in many ways. I run geisseles super light on precision systems - including larue weapons - and they like to get a crunchy spot right before the break. The larues flat work for the price. I’ll never buy anything Larue again but have a pile of their triggers.

I have both. Both are nice. I had an SSA-E that went bad on me. Second stage wall completely went away and it was unsafe. Geissele took care of it without question. Never had an issue with any of my Larue or Schmid 2 stage triggers. I’ll keep buying the Larue and Schmid triggers over the Geisseles.

• Haha
Reactions: GhostFace

Theres a good middle ground. I love my SSA-X triggers. But this one is a good go between the G triggers and the MBT.

I have had a few MBT triggers go full giggle. But people have had the same with Geissele. I think the SSA-E is definitely the better feel. If you are patient you can snag them for close to $130. They pop up all the time for $150.

I do still run an MBT in my 22LR rifle.

Make sure its the SSA and NOT the G2S If its the G2S you are considering then just get the Larue... If you want to buy once and be content then get the SSA and NOT the SSA-E for your application...

https://geissele.com/triggers.html

The CA trigger looks like a refresh of the old RRA two stage, which itself was a copy of a KAC trigger. The RRA trigger was a fraction the KAC price. Both had longevity problems associated with wear through the surface hardness after casting. Cast trigger parts are a pretty hard sell when the price is almost the same as a machined from billet part.

You ask this question right after huge labor day sales. I own a ton of both MBT and G triggers.

The MBT is a "decent" trigger and for $75 they were a great deal. They still do not hold a candle to G triggers. They are way too wide and uncomfortable for heavy firing schedules. Spend the money and get a G.

The G2S is the best deal, its bassicaly a SSA that doesn't go through QA and is cheaper to make. $125 is about what they go for on sale.

SSA-E or SD-E are what I have been buying. You really can't go wrong with ANY G trigger.

I have 5 G triggers sitting in my parts bin waiting on builds. I won't be buying any more MBT triggers, they just dont feel good to shoot.

The CA trigger looks like a refresh of the old RRA two stage, which itself was a copy of a KAC trigger. The RRA trigger was a fraction the KAC price. Both had longevity problems associated with wear through the surface hardness after casting. Cast trigger parts are a pretty hard sell when the price is almost the same as a machined from billet part.
That was the old KAC trigger, which is the reason G became so big in military circles. They started replacing the MK11 and early SR25 triggers with G triggers. KAC redesigned their 2 stage around 2004ish and they are probably the second best 2 stage behind G to this day. So good, that I dont touch my SR15 and SR25's lowers, whereas every other AR I buy or own gets a new trigger.

Reactions: GhostFace
I had the LaRue and didn’t like it, though I cannot remember why.

Under “best value” I currently like this:

-Stan
If RRA is making those the same way they did in the 2000s, then they are the reason Geissele exists.

The surfaces on the RRAs are notorious for losing dimensions and letting go with unpredictable sear release.

They were cool when they first hit the market, then people that actually shoot in volume started experiencing problems and trust was lost. Geissele stepped into that space and provided a long-lasting trigger that addressed the shortcomings of the cast 2-stage triggers.

LaRue with EDM-cut is an excellent trigger as well, and I have a bunch of them.

Geissele High Speed National Match triggers need fine adjustment with some buffer room so they don’t double on you. Once set-up, they are a superb trigger for cutting Xs.

MBT-2S is an east button for me though.

For close range work, I like the JP single stage with properly set-up screws. You just tickle that trigger and have crazy split times.

If RRA is making those the same way they did in the 2000s, then they are the reason Geissele exists.

The surfaces on the RRAs are notorious for losing dimensions and letting go with unpredictable sear release.

They were cool when they first hit the market, then people that actually shoot in volume started experiencing problems and trust was lost. Geissele stepped into that space and provided a long-lasting trigger that addressed the shortcomings of the cast 2-stage triggers.

LaRue with EDM-cut is an excellent trigger as well, and I have a bunch of them.

Geissele High Speed National Match triggers need fine adjustment with some buffer room so they don’t double on you. Once set-up, they are a superb trigger for cutting Xs.

MBT-2S is an east button for me though.

For close range work, I like the JP single stage with properly set-up screws. You just tickle that trigger and have crazy split times.
Thank you for the background.

Time will tell if mine has the same fate.

-Stan

I have one that lets off the 2nd stage unpredictably. I threw it in a Retro 605, but I’m going to pull it and put something more spicy in that I think.

The RRA is pretty bad now. My first one seemed to do really well but then I sold the entire blaster it was in.

Reactions: stanley_white
I have both triggers and I prefer the larue. I feel like marl larue is just trolling geissele by making an equal if not better trigger for half the price. G has military contracts and can charge what he wants for the triggers, im not paying 200$ for a piece of s7 tool steel and a popular name. The other reason id go with the larue is that the disconnect is on a separate pin and its captive as opposed to the disconnect on the geissele which is pinned on the trigger pin making it slightly more difficult to install. Also reviews of unhappy employees at geissele has deterred me from buying any triggers from them which leads me to believe hes motivated by greed and those lucrative contracts. Larue is passionate about what he does and he’s good at designing and engineering which youll see if you look at some of his non traditional approaches to his firearms. Also if you want a trigger with the most perfect break check out the triggertech 3.5lb duty 2 stage which was just on sale and can still be found for 100$, you rest your finger on it and your at the wall with less then a mm of travel and then the most crisp break youll ever feel, it feels like a toggle switch or an on/off switch and the reset is very short. The only complaint is that the reset, while tactile , is very weak. So not the best for bump/rapid fire.

• Haha
Reactions: DeathBeforeDismount
for your application i’d pick the larue and have done that

the geiselle 2 stage doesnt work for me in carbines but i do love them in scoped precision rifles.

its the transition from the 1st to 2nd that trips me up for carbine shooting on the G 2 stage triggers. great for precision shooting though.

One thing I will say about personalities who actually make a big mark on their industries is that they are often very difficult to work for or with.

Steve Jobs was on a different level of being literally impossible to work with by all accounts.

People tolerated him because they knew his vision and determination was going in a direction that hadn’t been done before, and they wanted to be around for the ride, so they suffered through his mercurial and unpredictable persona. He rarely gave compliments and even upon seeing a great idea, he would maybe say, “Well, at least it isn’t total trash.”

Even before Jobs was in business, he went into his College Dean’s office one day, sat in his chair, propped his stank-ridden bare feet up on the guy’s desk (he had a no-deodorant policy, rarely showered) as he waited for the dean to arrive for their meeting about his academic performance, then explained to the dean that it wasn’t moral or ethical for him to be wasting his parents’ hard-earned money on classes he just wasn’t interested in, and that he was going to therefore drop out of those courses, and drop into the ones he was genuinely intrigued by.

The dean just kinda looked at this kid and said, “Uh....OK?"

Had Jobs not done that, you wouldn’t have dozens of different fonts to choose from when you type a Word document, because one of the classes Jobs dropped-in to was calligraphy.

Years later when he contracted a little weasel named Bill Gates to develop his software suite for the Macintosh, he wanted the word processing program to have those beautiful calligraphy styles he had seen in the class, in a drop-down menu that you accessed with the mouse.

There are similar stories about how he acquired the rights to graphical user interface and the high-strength glass for iPhones and Apple store windows.

These types of men are few and far between.

Someone whose name will never be known outside of their small circle can look at them and cherry-pick through their faults, but I always am interested in what makes them tic, where did they come from, and how did they overcome the barriers to entry and success that so many fail to achieve?

You all should hear the story of JP Enterprises some time. It blew me away when I sat down and talked with JP about it at his Blue Steel Ranch where Steel Safari is held. Absolutely movie-worthy story with Fudd origins in his little MN FFL, double-murder of his employees by a judge’s son after he sold the FFL to them, touring the Nation to attend the only shoot schools in existence, his muzzle brake work, single-stage trigger, adjustable gas blocks, then complete rifles finally. He has hilarious stories about Gunsite when Jeff Cooper was still there and the instructors would grade your 1911.

It would be very illustrating to be able to sit down with Mark LaRue or Bill Geissele and hear their origin stories, failures, sacrifices, and achievements. They’re generally too busy making product flow though, so it’s very difficult to get these opportunities.

Last edited:
I have several G's, all SSA, SSA-E & G2S's; I also have several Larue's & several single stage triggers.

Between the Larue & the G, SSA-E, right out of the box, the G is noticeably better in that it's lighter.

But if you want to change the springs on the Larue, & maybe stone the sear & hammer a touch, as may or may not be necessary, you will be hard pressed to tell much difference.

As someone else mentioned, the best deal from G is the G2S, & with lighter springs is about the same as the SSA-E at half the cost................but I have had one that was creepy until I fixed it.

You really cannot go wrong with the Larue, IMHO.

MM

Reactions: TheRiddick
I dont like either of em, but i find the g to be complete cast trash. I literally took the factory g triggers out of my 2 superduties and replaced em with my choice (but on the ar i prefer single stage). That said, of the 2, the larue is the only one id even consider. The guy claiming he had "a few" of em go full auto is either lying, or installed em wrong (50 50 chance really)

LaRue is the best trigger under $100, bar none.

It's the best until you can get an SSA

There are other cheap 2 stages like the schmidt but they're not as good

One of my palmetto lowers with that trigger was kinda mush, when I swapped to a lower with a better trigger my fliers disappeared. I think it was due to moving during the heavy break

I dont like either of em, but i find the g to be complete cast trash. I literally took the factory g triggers out of my 2 superduties and replaced em with my choice (but on the ar i prefer single stage). That said, of the 2, the larue is the only one id even consider. The guy claiming he had "a few" of em go full auto is either lying, or installed em wrong (50 50 chance really)

pffft…. any other words of wisdom to share?