• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing lawton 7000 vs rem 700

42769vette

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2009
liberty indiana
im looking to build a 358wsm. assuming i can get a lawton 7000 with a wsm bolt face (still waiting on a reply) im thinking that may be the way to go. i figure ill have 450ish in a rem donor rifle and be able to reuse the trigger and stock and about 300 in truing with barrel assembly.

for roughly the same money i can get a lawton 7000 skip the trueing and buy a stock trigger and factory stock. this will be a indiana deer rifle.

so the way im figuring ill have roughly 100 extra bucks (factory trigger and stock) in having a custom action rifle compared to a rem 700 rifle. plus id have better resale (doubt thats a issue).

am i missing anything i need to know. this is my first build. i dont think ill get much better accuracy out of the lawton but moa would suit me fine

Re: lawton 7000 vs rem 700

I have three rifles I built on these actions, 308, 260, 7WSM. They are much nicer than the Remingtons and you will see an increase in accuracy over the 700. They are stiffer, smoother and more accurately machined. Unless you bore the raceways on the 700 and replace the bolt with a PTG to match, you wont have the same tolerances. All these things add up.

Smart move on using the custom action for a better resale value! Of course, the Remington action can be trued, etc. but in the end expenditures it is still a Remington action. The custom action action will bring a higher percentage of your purchase price and you'll have a rifle to be proud. You're on the right track!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 257speed</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have three rifles I built on these actions, 308, 260, 7WSM. They are much nicer than the Remingtons and you will see an increase in accuracy over the 700. They are stiffer, smoother and more accurately machined. Unless you bore the raceways on the 700 and replace the bolt with a PTG to match, you wont have the same tolerances. All these things add up. </div></div>

so you can get the lawton in the wsm action. that answers one question thanks

so my next question would be is lawton 7000 the cheapest custom action or is there another i should look for. as i said this will be a hunting gun with a max shot range of 350ish so moa is more than accurate enough

I believe that Lawton is the best for the money, they shoot right along side the more exspensive stuff such as Kelbley and Nesika Bay. They are the action of my choice,I use alot of them. If you give Jackson and guys a call they will help you out, they are veryknowledgeable and honest people.
GOD BLESS,
Mac's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so my next question would be is lawton 7000 the cheapest custom action or is there another i should look for. as i said this will be a hunting gun with a max shot range of 350ish so moa is more than accurate enough </div></div>

I'd look else where. Alot of members have had alot of problems with them lately. Just saying...

I think that if you talk to the man in charge(Jackson) the problems are down to a minimum. After the oldman died there were a few problems I'll admit, but when stuff like that happens those are the times they need us most. I'll continue to support them probly as long as they support me with quality products.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so my next question would be is lawton 7000 the cheapest custom action or is there another i should look for. as i said this will be a hunting gun with a max shot range of 350ish so moa is more than accurate enough </div></div>

I'd look else where. Alot of members have had alot of problems with them lately. Just saying...</div></div>

What sort of problems?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Master_Blaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 42769vette</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so my next question would be is lawton 7000 the cheapest custom action or is there another i should look for. as i said this will be a hunting gun with a max shot range of 350ish so moa is more than accurate enough </div></div>

I'd look else where. Alot of members have had alot of problems with them lately. Just saying...</div></div>

What sort of problems? </div></div>

You've got a PM

Lawton 7000 actions are the shit. There's no way I'd want a Remmy action over a Lawton, especially when you break down the costs of truing it up.

The Lawton is smooth as butta. I haven't heard of any problems with they're actions, and if there were, whoopdie shit. They'll take care of it.

If I didn't buy a product b/c I've heard on the intronet that it's "had problems", I wouldn't own a damn thing...

BTW, I'm hoping to snag me a Lawton 7000 soon, as for cheapest, I'm sure you can find cheaper if you dig around, but you can also get your car painted at Mako for $300.

If I'm not mistaken, you can open up the bolt face to accept WSM cartridges, at least that was what I was planning to do.