• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

LE SERT/SWAT Snipers?

Sumpter Steve

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2006
Gresham, Oregon
What duty holsters are you running? I would rather not go the drop leg route as they dig into the ground and move around too much. I've always had good luck with the SERPA holsters buy I was wondering what you hugs were using. Thanks.

Re: LE SERT/SWAT Snipers?

Try one that mounts up high on your tac vest. Some have luck with them. Or look on Safarilands web site. I think they make the drop holster that has 2 attachment points on the belt to help avoid the forward movement.

Really no cure for the holster slide, especially when on the move.

We use the Safariland 6304 Leg Drop. I run the "belt" strap high and only use one of the leg straps. This prevents a lot of the twisting on my leg. I also position it a little farther back on my belt to prevent it from falling so far forward when prone. Works good for me.

A couple guys on our team have been happy with the BDS tactical universal holster mounted on their vest. I have two of their chest rigs, good stuff.

Well I would assume if I am in a sniping position, which is done with a cover officer, I would not be to worried about someone coming up on me and taking my side arm. However, those are interesting videos there Rino and I will have to try that to see what happens. Thanks for posting those!

Safariland 6004, as high as I can.

I used the same holster for entry and the version with the ALS for patrol. This way it's all the same draw stroke. I just have to drop a little lower in the "tactical" gear than I do on the street.

Remember that there is the possibility of encountering the badguy while enroute to your FFP.

Oh absolutely there is the possibility of anything at any time. Weapons retention is of utmost importance to me! I don't ever plan on being a statistic. All I'm saying is we always at least 1 cover officer, because my attention will be focused elsewhere when I'm in position. I've never had an issue with the serpa setup, but I've never tried any of what I saw in the video either, which I will now! If there's a problem, then I'll be doing something different ASAP. On the flip side the vests that we wear on a call out makes it absolutely necessary to have a thigh rig. A belt rig won't work and I don't have any room on the front for a chest rig, due to cuffs, mags, cs cans, and flashbangs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TacticalJ</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All I'm saying is we always at least 1 cover officer, because my attention will be focused elsewhere when I'm in position.</div></div>

That is the optimal way to do it. However on at least one call I have been booking to an FFP at a dead run while the suspect was shooting at officers. I didn't have the luxury of waiting for a cover officer, even if it was just a patrol guy. My worry at the time was just to get to a spot where I could engage. If he went mobile a gunfight in the middle of the street was not out of the question.

The way we have trained in a "chance contact" is the bolt gun gives me one good shot, then it's a transition to the secondary. When that happens I don't want to have to remember what holster I am wearing, where it is located or what handgun is there. Training on one holster in one location, containing one handgun cuts down on MY choices and increases my reaction time.

It's not the "only" way. It's just "a" way.

I have the safari land. I don't like drop leg holsters so I took it off and swapped the back out and it's belt mounted. I'd love to run a serpa holster but I don't like their flashlight so I don't use one, but if you like their flashlight check it out.

Safariland drop leg holster, I had the same problem with forward rotation of the holster and where it connects to the belt. I started using extra keepers and weaving them horzontal through the keepers that run verticaly and then through the loop that connects the holster to the belt. But making sure there is a trouser loop between the two vertical keepers. That stopped the whole rig from rotating forward while low crawling or running. Nylon is just slick and does not like to stay in place. The leg straps I have no issues with.

I actually have 3 belts - one for patrol, one for entry stuff, one for sniper stuff. They are all set up very similarly, but have a few items differnt on each.

I can't wear a hip holster with the big giant ninja turtle vest on - I wouldn't be able to get to my holster. So drop leg as high as possible on it. I hate thigh rigs, they get in the way of everything and are only useful when you're wearing enough armor to cripple a donkey.

All three have safariland ALS holsters on them. Same draw for each, and they are very sturdily built (you won't come snatch it off me easily like in one of the videos). I think the ALS is a great system, and the Safariland is one of the best-built holsters out there.

I think the Serpa is the worst holster for anything you might crawl on the ground for. The holsters have been known to have problems with gravel, dirt, mud and snow: HERE
I think the reason the SERPA is popular is because it's inexpensive. Period.

I tried the safariland holster and found out it was like a shovel on a stalk! The rigid kydex picked up dirt like an excavator!

I switched to the eagle nylon holster. It seemed to hug the gun a little better keeping debris out!

It's still in the same carry position and actually hugs the leg a little better.

Just my .02