Lee safety scale and powder thrower?

keith jones

Minuteman
Sep 14, 2010
Bulls Gap,TN
Does anyone use these? I have been reloading for a while, I was just wondering do I need to upgrade or are these suffecient? Is digital better or is the lee accurate enough for precision shooting, also the powder thrower?

Re: Lee safety scale and powder thrower?

I've owned the lee powder thrower for a while and have found that you need to pull the lever as close to the exact same every time or you will get varying throws. I have since got a gempro scale but when I had the lee I would just evenly and smoothly pull the lever and got fairly consistent results. I would get within a tenth or two of a grain accuracy on every throw. Not sure if thats good enough for you but thats what I got.

I bought a kit that came with the LEE safety scale and replaced it after a week. It measured accurately with my check weight, but the plastic beam is so light it takes for ever to settle down. They can be used for good results but you'll save yourself hours and loads of headaches if you invest in a used RCBS/Ohaus scale for 30-60$.

I have been useing the Lee powder dispenser for ove a year now. I upgraded the scale by the way of an RCBS 750. Its much quicker, I do occasionaly check the electronic scale to the Lee scale.
It might be slow, but slow is smooth and smooth is fast

I have a LEE scale that I've been using for about 20-25 year's now and I find it settle's down a lot quicker then it used to.
I have bought an RCBS electronic scale,it's sitting in a drawer now.
It was too sensitive to use with speed.

I used the Lee scale for several years but I finally upgraded to the RCBS 502 scale and I'm much happier. The Lee scale works but it is far from ideal. I would suggest buying a new scale balance beam scale and dumping the Lee scale.

Both the Lee powder measure and safety scale work fine (if quite slow) for me...but I prefer to throw a little light and trickle the load to the scale's setting anyway.

I'm thinking about getting an RCBS Chargemaster to speed my reloading up...figure it will cut my time to load by 1/3 or more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BoilerUP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Both the Lee powder measure and safety scale work fine (if quite slow) for me...but I prefer to throw a little light and trickle the load to the scale's setting anyway.

I'm thinking about getting an RCBS Chargemaster to speed my reloading up...figure it will cut my time to load by 1/3 or more. </div></div>

I did this for years.

What I have found out is this.

I load using the OCW technique. When I charge using the Lee perfect powder measure I run 7 charges in the RCBS powder pan, dump them back in the Lee PPM and check the charge on the 8th power charge. It comes out right on the nose of 45.4 grns of Varget.

Then I charge 9 rounds and check the 10th charge. It always with in .1 over or under 45.4grns of Varget.

Now when I did the OCW my load spread was 45.2, 45.4, 45.6 grns of Varget. The 45.4 shot the best group with the same POI/POA of the other two loads.

At 100, 200, 300yds my groups are .5 to .75 MOA and at 400yds to 700yds I am at MOA and after that is lost to MOA + but this is a DPMS LR-308 thats a 16" BBL.

I am more then happy with the Lee perfect powder measure and the loads it gives me.

John

I bought the Anniversary Kit that came with the Challenger Press and all the assorted parts.

I used it for quite some time. You are able to make very accurate ammo.

I upgraded the scale to a Rangemaster 750 a couple years ago. I just wanted a faster scale.

I continued to use the Powder Measure until this year. You do need to get consistent with the way you pull the lever. If a kernel causes it to hang, discard that throw. I always weighed each charge and trickled if it needed it, but I could get at least 5/10 on the money. If I wasn't making precision ammo I could have just charged the cases and checked every ten for safety.

I finally replaced it with a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 this year because when I am reloading, my time is money. The Chargemaster greatly speeds up my process.

Both the Perfect Powder Measure and the Safety Scale will allow you to make great ammo. They are just not the fastest way to get there. If you are your average recreational shooter, they are fine. If you are burning through a couple hundred rounds of precision ammo in a week, you need something faster. I am almost to the point of trying a progressive press.