• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Left handed AR for my son - looking at Stag Arms

JelloStorm

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2010
Northeast Pennsylvania
Hey everyone,

I have a son who's left handed and he doesn't really like the AR ejecting brass across his face. He's 10 so understandable.

I was looking at Stag Arm's completely out of stock inventory for a simple M4 upper but apparently not... However the left hand eject upper is in stock, so dumb question but any part aside from the bolt and upper is just standard parts right? If every other part is standard then I can just assemble him an upper..

The lower on their 15-L models are just right hand lowers. A completely swapped lower would be pretty cool for the Lefty mafia..

Any of you lefty dudes or with left handed kids build or buy?

Thanks!

Reactions: Nailbender
I know he doesn’t like the brass ejection but as a lefty I’ve been dealing with it on just about everything from before I was his age. I shoot right handed ARs left handed bolt guns, AKs suck the most. I’d put an ambi safety on a lower and a troy ambi mag release and just let things work out. You just get used it, it’s not that bad. Then you don’t have a weapon system with proprietary parts and he doesn’t build a training scar.

Get him a lefty. Yes he could learn to shoot a right eject but why? It's sooooo much better to have a lefty ar if you shoot lefty. I e built a few lefty's and the bolt and upper is it for AR. I have a stag and a Gibbs and another I can't recall. The side charger sounds good and it cool but I'd just stick with a lefty reg set up. He will shoot much more with a lefty

Hey everyone,

I have a son who's left handed and he doesn't really like the AR ejecting brass across his face. He's 10 so understandable.

I was looking at Stag Arm's completely out of stock inventory for a simple M4 upper but apparently not... However the left hand eject upper is in stock, so dumb question but any part aside from the bolt and upper is just standard parts right? If every other part is standard then I can just assemble him an upper..

The lower on their 15-L models are just right hand lowers. A completely swapped lower would be pretty cool for the Lefty mafia..

Any of you lefty dudes or with left handed kids build or buy?

Thanks!
Just to be clear, when you say "bolt", you mean the whole BCG ... correct ?

A left hand BCG has the cam path and pin oriented on the right hand side... and the exhaust ports on the left side.

Also, for a standard lower.. As mentioned the mag catch and the safety could be "upgraded" to a ambi safety and a ambi mag catch ...but I am unsure of any thing I would recommend for the bolt catch.

There is the Magpul BAD lever... but I have seen ( and done it myself ) to many people poking around in the trigger area , while trying to use the BAD lever.
I am not sure if I would want that going on with a 10yo.

I'm kind of with KTM on this one. I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I was taught to shoot left handed starting at about 12, so just a little older than your son. Like it or not, it's a right handed world. I've been shooting AR's, AK's, FAL's, pump action and semi-auto shotguns, PCC's, Garands, bolt action rifles, etc. for 25+ years. I have never had an issue with brass ejecting to the right and simply do not notice it. If he wants to keep shooting as he gets older, and wants to be able to shoot a variety of guns he better get used to right handed ejection, and it will be a lot easier as a new shooter.

Reactions: max1840
i’m lefty and never get brass on my face except with the PWS pro model with the stubby brass deflector but left uppers work fine. i use them for my suppressed stuff to keep the gas out of my face.

I am lefty as well and own/shoot right eject uppers with no problem. That is until I added a suppressor and then the gas was to much to handle. So I built a left handed ar dedicated for the suppressor. I an running the Stag upper with there BCG. It works great with no issues. Get him what makes him feel comfortable. You have to be patient with Stag seems like they are always on BO.

I'm also one of those who shoots lefty, and while I don't mind the brass (and all of my uppers are righty), I think keeping the gas--especially if suppressed--out of his face is a worthwhile reason. Of course, him saying "I don't like the brass" is a good reason too...

If he ends up loving it, or loving it more, your son will likely not mind the brass someday; after he gets over all the noise and concussion, and starts focusing on the components of shooting, the brass might become a background thing.

You could also try a brass catcher. This would be the cheapest and easiest option if you already have a righty upper. Especially if he is shooting from a bench or prone, they don't get in the way, they solve the brass issue and they diffuse the gas in face a bit.

Reactions: bfoosh006
I built mine over 10 years ago and it works pretty good. Upgraded the rail more recently. Both pics same rifle. I think mine has the white oak armament ambidextrous extension but I'm not sure that is still needed. In it's life it has had a leupold mark ar 3-9x40 mismatch pos and my razor 2 4.5-27 was on it briefly.

The pof lower has features built in that you can run bolt release and magazine from both sides. The more relevant piece I would say is a good ambi selector. My noveske is a 45° type.
20210522_130201.jpg

20220705_222915.jpg

Screenshot_20240731_092528_ColorNote.jpg

Last edited:
I built mine over 10 years ago and it works pretty good. Upgraded the rail more recently. Both pics same rifle. I think mine has the white oak armament ambidextrous extension but I'm not sure that is still needed. In it's life it has had a leupold mark ar 3-9x40 mismatch pos and my razor 2 4.5-27 was on it briefly.

The pof lower has features built in that you can run bolt release and magazine from both sides. The more relevant piece I would say is a good ambi selector. My noveske is a 45° type.
View attachment 8469948
View attachment 8469949
View attachment 8469952

a god send for lefties.