• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Leica Rangemaster CRF 2400-R rangefinder

eastexsteve

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2018
NE Texas
My wife got me one of these for a Christmas present this year. I was on the fence over a few different rangefinders, but I didn't want anything that would Bluetooth to anything else, because I didn't have any scope, weather devices, or phone ballistic software that was compatible. I was just looking for a good quality rangefinder that had clear optics, was accurate, and would go the distance. I think I found one.

I tested it out today on my range that has targets out to 900 yards. Weather was overcast, temp 43 degrees F, RH was 78 percent. Visibility at least 5 miles. Time was 3:30pm central time.

The unit was packaged very well and came with a carrying case, wrist strap, and CR2 lithium battery. I’m sure I paid for the top-notch packaging. The included paperwork includes a brief users manual in several different languages. It leaves a lot to be desired, and I would recommend getting on Leica’s website and downloading the online manual. The setup may be a little confusing otherwise. The battery loads easily from the rear of the unit.

There are two buttons on top of the unit that control everything. Pushing the closest button to you turns it “on” and is also the one you use to get a range to target. The unit automatically shuts down after 6 seconds of no additional input. Pushing only the second button will momentarily bring up the sighting reticle and give you your angular measurement to target in degrees. The display text is bright red, and I had no trouble reading it. The diopter adjustment allows compensation for vision defects of up to ± 3.5 diopters. The rubber eyecup will fold down for use with eyeglasses. Glass is extremely clear.

The advertised range of the unit is 2405 yards. The unit will range in either yards or meters, and will give you one decimal place accuracy if the distance to the target is 100 yards/meters or less. The unit is a 7x magnifier, and I had no trouble ranging 32” square painted steel plates at 850 yards offhand. I had just a bit of trouble holding the unit steady while ranging a full-size IPSC silhouette (17.75” W x 29.5” H) at 900 yards, but that was me and not the unit. After a couple of tries, I managed to range it. I know the range of these units is dependent upon the reflectivity of the target. Nonetheless, I was able to range dull green pine trees at 1200+ yards, and clay dirt banks at 1700+ yards. The unit also has a horizontal distance mode, and a scan/tracking mode.

I have targets out to 900 yards, but when I set up my range, I measured the distances to my 100 and 200 yard targets with a tape measure. One of my older (and cheaper) units is off by at least a yard. At least to those distances, the Leica is right on the money.

The Leica is a bit different than the Japanese and Chinese offerings. But, my first impression is it’s a quality piece of gear. It’s definitely worth the $550 price tag. If you’re just looking for a really accurate rangefinder without bluetooth, you need to check this one out.