• We're live!

We've got the homepage updated and subscriptions are now managed through HideTV. If you run into any bugs please contact @alexj-12 or use our contact form for help!

ENTER HIDETV VIEW THREAD

Less concussive muzzlebrake?

SlowMiss6.5

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2024
South West
Tried the G2 Erik Cortina EC tuner brake and it was not for me due to the concussion. Then moved to the ACE brake and I still have a eye flinch when shooting due to the concussion. With a suppressor or bare muzzle I don’t have this issue.

Any less concussive brakes?

Have you tried an EFAB or Dynacomp? Lot less "Blasty" than a traditional baffled muzzle brake.

efab1.jpg
EFAB2.jpg

SP-SBV1019-2.jpg

Last edited:
Cans aren't as effective at reducing recoil, but they are the superior choice. I tried brake for competition. Can is going back on.
That’s the only reason I’m considering one is for competition PRS style shoots. The muzzle brake and a 15lb 6.5cm has a tendency to pull me off target a fair amount when shooting on barricades

Am also considering going to a 6GT with 108s at 2700 instead of the same rifle with 145s and 2600fps and then continuing to use the suppressor, hopefully with much better ability to watch misses

The ASR brake from Silencerco vents to the side instead of back. Less blast coming back at you and it does reduce felt recoil.

Probably will get outlawed by the ATF.

1718671814927.jpeg

6GT at 2700?

Least 2850 but that’s not gonna make any difference c for blast.
I run things slow for PRS but try to run the highest BC bullet I can. That way it gives me a better chance at seeing the miss and less recoil. Staring 6GT with 108 shows 34 grains

I’m currently running a 145 in the 6.5 at 2600 with 39 grains of H4350

Last edited:
While the concussion is significant, I like the Fat Bastard. Not only does it sop recoil in its tracks it stops the muzzle rise. Lets me stay on target much easier. I'm going to order the Cone of Shame to see if it will cut back on the concussion.

1718762267445.png

Reactions: Ronws
You could try one of the new Magnus RR suppressors with the muzzle brake at the end. They have a list in percentages of recoil reduction with the Magnus vs Magnus+muzzle brake

Btw you can’t add the brake later. It’s one or the other.

Reactions: K80/6.5
You could try one of the new Magnus RR suppressors with the muzzle brake at the end. They have a list in percentages of recoil reduction with the Magnus vs Magnus+muzzle brake

Btw you can’t add the brake later. It’s one or the other.
Or…. get a Scythe Ti or a BOSS Top Shot and have the option to replace the brake with a flat end cap yourself.

Reactions: carbonbased
The ACE Brake is what you seek.
Tried the G2 Erik Cortina EC tuner brake and it was not for me due to the concussion. Then moved to the ACE brake and I still have a eye flinch when shooting due to the concussion. With a suppressor or bare muzzle I don’t have this issue.

Any less concussive brakes?
Second sentence in. He doesn't like it either.

The original IMPACT muzzle brake is shooter friendly and does a good job.
Also, PVA Jetblast 3 and 4 are good if you want a timing nut brake.
I had a little B that was too much, as was the hellfire, and even the match version.
I found a few IMPACT muzzle brakes used in the PX and have been happy with them, and they're super easy to clean.
If I could find one, I think the new Insite brake with the sliding tuner weight would be a good one with its 90 deg. ports...

Last edited:
I run things slow for PRS but try to run the highest BC bullet I can. That way it gives me a better chance at seeing the miss and less recoil. Staring 6GT with 108 shows 34 grains

I’m currently running a 145 in the 6.5 at 2600 with 39 grains of H4350
You might try dropping back to a 120 gr bullet in your current 6.5 and see if that helps your recoil issue enough. All the 6mm guys are still running brakes around here. But a 120-130 with a suppressor might work for you and it won't cost much to load up some 120s just to find out.

The ats brake was designed to keep concussion off the shooter. I demoed the owners at the war match and ended up buying one. Recoil reduction is on par with all the rest
I concur, I have them on several rifles. As a shooter there is no real concussive blast and as a shooter next to the rifle I only feel the warm breeze. A while back I was shooting and a guy came up with an AR (no idea on caliber, it looked like a small frame) and he started shooting and each shot was like getting hit in the head, I moved benches. No such issues with the ATS.

Then put the ASR Anchor over it. It's great!

View attachment 8443376
The ATF went after a company that had a piece you install that they called a muzzle brake but could easily be part of a suppressor.

ASR is a muzzle brake but it is also the adapter to install some of the Silencerco suppressors. I thought that was a nifty idea.

My ASR brake does redirect recoil. The vents are not point back, so, I don't get a blast in the face.

I could put on an Omega 300 and that would be okay for my .308s and my 7 PRC.

Reactions: MO Fugga
The ATF went after a company that had a piece you install that they called a muzzle brake but could easily be part of a suppressor.

ASR is a muzzle brake but it is also the adapter to install some of the Silencerco suppressors. I thought that was a nifty idea.

My ASR brake does redirect recoil. The vents are not point back, so, I don't get a blast in the face.

I could put on an Omega 300 and that would be okay for my .308s and my 7 PRC.
I like it well enough on its own. My Howa has the weird 1/2 x 28 threads on a .300wm, so I went with that.

Reactions: Ronws
Of the "less concussive" baffle brakes I've tried - I like the ATS and Gen 2 Insite.

However, even these are are much more concussive to me than any radial brakes I've tried. Of course, a radial brake will brake less. Lastly, I'd also go with an EFAB or AFAB if I want something more like a radial brake in function but didn't like the look of a radial brake.

My only experience is with this model, which due to its straight ports and width, keeps me comfortable.

Plus I get to look like a Barrett and it is extremely easy to clean.

:)

-Stan

Look into a suppressor that also serves as a brake:
-Area 419 Maverick
-Thunderbeast RR series
-KGM
-Dead Air has an ebrake you can add to their cans
-Silenco has several models with integral brake

Your perfect solution might be multi faceted, you could go to 6mm with a heavier rifle, no brake, different brake, or a mix of the above with a suppressor. It’s your choice, let us know what works best.

Reactions: kthomas
You're sure though? The claims are exactly what the OP is looking for, but I'm not sure.
How could it be snake oil?

It’s simple science.

The blast is directed upwards over the top of your head, not back at you on the horizontal plane like all other rearward venting brakes. If it’s not directed back at you then it’s not going to blast you. Same as every other side venting brake.

If side venting brakes are low blast. Then so is the chad.

Attachments

• IMG_1207.jpeg
    IMG_1207.jpeg
    45.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1206.jpeg
    IMG_1206.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1205.jpeg
    IMG_1205.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1204.jpeg
    IMG_1204.jpeg
    80.7 KB · Views: 26
  • Haha
Reactions: GenericBadGuy
You're sure though? The claims are exactly what the OP is looking for, but I'm not sure.
Have we all agreed on whether the Strike Without Warning CHAD brake is snake oil yet?
I’ve put over 400 rounds on my Chad thus far and It’s performing as it was advertised.

If the OP is having problems with using an ACE Brake then he just needs to train the flinch out of his system. That’s one of the least concussive brakes there is in PRS. Austin Orgain had the same issue when he went from using a suppressor to a brake years ago.

Reactions: rydah and Nik H
I’ve put over 400 rounds on my Chad thus far and It’s performing as it was advertised.

If the OP is having problems with using an ACE Brake then he just needs to train the flinch out of his system. That’s one of the least concussive brakes there is in PRS. Austin Orgain had the same issue when he went from using a suppressor to a brake years ago.
I have 100 or so rounds through mine and it is amazing. Best brake I have owned.

Reactions: rydah and jthor
The ultimate solution may be one of TBACs new 'RR' series suppressors.

Nothing works better than a suppressor for concussion/blast mitigation. And people are a lot more sensitive to this concussion than they like to admit.

Personally, I will take a reduction in concussion any day over any benefit a muzzle brake adds.

The Abel Co Biscuits have a very pleasant recoil impulse, and they are pretty affordable when compared to a TBAC 'RR' series suppressor. There are other suppressor solutions as well that combines the effects of a suppressor with a brake.

Reactions: GenericBadGuy