• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Let's talk .308 bolt actions: R700, A7, T3, 110?

limitz

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'm planning on throwing a 2.5-10x scope on it. I would use it mainly for weekend shooting at 200 yards, an occasional shot at 300-400 yards, as well as hunting in GA. I really like the .308 round, and I don't think I'll be shooting it far enough out to really take advantage of the .300WSM.

As far as price goes, I have about $850 to spend upfront on just the rifle. Also an important consideration to me is weight. I typically shoot a K31 Swiss, and it's 8.9 pounds unloaded, which makes shooting offhand difficult for me (guess I need to bulk up or something). Ideally I'm looking for something <8.5 pounds and more in the 7 pound range (Tikka T3). Adding a scope adds about 1 pound, and I want something that's easy to shoot offhand in the woods, without sacrificing accuracy.

The Remington rifles I'm looking at are: the SPS-Tactical, and the 700P. As for the other brands, I'm really drawn to the Sako A7, it looks beautiful and I've heard it has extremely good out of box accuracy; not to mention a great trigger and action. I haven't heard much about the T3, but I do know people say the A7 is worth the price increase over the T3. As for the 110, I know it has good value, but it seems a little cheap to be completely honest.

I guess what I'm really looking for, is a rifle than can shoot sub-MOA out of box without being too heavy. I foresee myself eventually doing some work on the rifle (bedding, freefloating, stock, trigger job if needed), though not for a long while, perhaps even years. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Re: Let's talk .308 bolt actions: R700, A7, T3, 110?

I have a 700p in 300 winmag with a leu old mark 4 scope on it. It's an excellent gun and shoots sub moa. But it's heavy and probably not the best for shooting offhand.

Sounds like you need the Tikka T3 Scout.....
T3 Scout

t3-scout-ctr.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: limitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as price goes, I have about $850 to spend upfront on just the rifle.</div></div>
Looks like Varmint isn't available anymore in the US, but a T3 Scout fits under your budget if you shop around.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/tikka-t3-scout-ctr/

So I must ask. Why the Scout CTR over the A7? The two rifles are almost identical in price.

To me, the only difference it seems is that the Scout has a heavy 22' barrel while the A7 doesn't, but clocks in 2 lbs heavier because of it.

However, the A7 has a superior construction quality. Will a heavier barrel really make much of a difference?

Unless you have money to step up to 75 or 85, I'd pick a T3 over A7. I missed your weight concerns for hunting, thought main function was shooting at range. In that case, T3 Lite and you still have money left if you want to get aftermarket stock for it. I just don't feel you get enough for your money in terms of upgrades to A7. The A7 is specially made for US market to gap the price difference between a Tikka and a Sako, it isn't even available in Finland (where a T3 sells for more than a A7 here, so we are lucky).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: limitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess what I'm really looking for, is a rifle than can shoot sub-MOA out of box without being too heavy.</div></div>

A Savage 10FP, 10PC, or even Model 10/11 package gun with sporter barrel from Wal-Mart should do exactly that.

You'll just have to decide if the price point & accuracy is worth it "seeming cheap"...

Interesting, didn't know the A7 wasn't sold in Finland. I am a little confused on your last statement, are you saying A7's are cheaper than T3's in Finland? If that's the case, it seems like Sako just wants to see how much they can milk out of their N. American market.

Also, the T3 Scout and Tactical look pretty much identical. What's the difference?

No, A7 here is much cheaper than T3 in Finland. They don't sell the A7 there at all as the price difference between a T3 and a 85 isn't all that much. While we can get a T3 for a little over $500, in Finland where it is made the MSRP is $1400 (about 1000 euros). A 85 is $2300 (1400 euros), so the margin doesn't justify to bring a "cheapo" SAKO in the European market.

http://www.varuste.net/tuotteet2.asp?_id=7413&nimi=Tikka+T3
http://www.varuste.net/tuotteet2.asp?_id=7412&nimi=Sako

Don't know too much about the tactical or the scout but two things at least. Threaded muzzle on the tactical for flash hider or sound suppressor, and adjustable cheek piece. Whether your rifle is for hunting or target shooting, I do recommend an adjustable cheek piece.

I'm currently looking for a T3, pretty much in any config as I got myself a high end laminated stock for one and can't stomach to start modifying the action inlet, at least not yet. This is it still with my brothers T3 6.5x55, Lothar Walther barrel:

Tikka%252520T3%252520001.jpg

Tikka%252520T3%252520002.jpg

Tikka%252520T3%252520005.jpg

Tikka%252520T3%252520006.jpg

Wow, that stock is nice. I didn't know the T3's were being sold for so much in Finland, where it's produced. If anything, I would have thought T3/Sako's are much cheaper in Finland, just as a simple SPS is very reasonable here.

It seems that the A7 isn't really "milking" the N. American market, but a natural hybrid between the T3 and 75 due to the significant price difference between them. I did some research, and found that the main differences between a T3 and A7 are:

1. The Sako has two different action lengths for short or standard cartridge lengths vs. the Tikka with one size action for all.

2. The Sako has a plastic covered metal bolt shroud vs. the Tikka's completely plastic shroud.

3. The Sako has metal magazine feed lips vs. the completely plastic one of the Tikka.

4. The Sako safety allows you to operate the bolt while ON SAFE vs. the Tikka which must be OFF SAFE to open the bolt.

5. You can load the Sako from the top singly vs. the Tikka which doesn't allow this.

6. The Sako has 3 locking lugs like the 75 vs. the Tikka's 2.

7. The Sako has a 5 shot 1" guarantee vs. the Tikka's 3 shot.

8. Lastly, the Sako has what's called a "Total Control" magazine, This requires upward pressure on the magazine while pushing the release, then it will drop out.

A T3 Lite is about $600, an A7 is about $900. I don't know if these differences are worth the $300 more. What stock would you recommend for the T3 Lite? AFAIK, most higher end stock makers don't do the T3.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: limitz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7. The Sako has a 5 shot 1" guarantee vs. the Tikka's 3 shot.</div></div>
Doesn't mean much. If anything, the general consensus in Finland is that Tikka is actually more accurate of the two brands.

Limitz,
The A7 cannot be loaded from the top( the 85 can be, it has a totally different mag system).

The A7 does not have the "total control mag system", again the 85 does because it has a different mag system than the A7.

I have quite a bit of experience with all three rifles......if you have a limited budget, get the T3 and don't look back. If not, step up to the 85( the Varmint model in 308 is really nice).

Thanks for clarifying.

I think I will take the difference and put it into a stock and a larger magazine.

What stocks are known for being quality replacements on the T3 lite?

for whatever it's worth, I would be on the T3 scout. Coupled with the right scope, it would be a fine setup...

I guess the tika's light weight can be appealing, but there is ALOT of plastic on that thing.

Mave you considered the Rem m7? They are nice and light and dont have the plastic internals. The stocks are less then desireable, but do work, especially for a hunting rig...
5 shots 100 yds
243V-MAX.jpg

I vote the T3.

The bolt feels like it's riding on ball barings vs gritty sandpaper like the Savage.Rem's are fine but if I were going to buld from a factory rifle again I'd do a Tikka.

More aftermarket stuff is available for them than there used to be.

I really like that black laminated stock in the pics a few posts up!