Let's talk remington 700 police..

tarheel7734

Quiet Professional
Minuteman
  • May 25, 2014
    Johnson City Tn
    Due to nostalgia, I really wanted a remington 700 police which I might eventually set up like a m24 woth improvements. I found a new one in 300 wm with a 24" threaded barrel for what I deemed was reasonable.. I'm pretty happy about it, but now comes setting the thing up..

As many changes have really happened since the 90s when I had my first personal long range rifles, I am thinking I might want a dbm for it. What are the best options currently? I'd the m5 on top? How bad is it to inlet the hs precision stock for it??

Next comes the optics base and the optic. Too many options around between 2 piece and 1 piece. I am thinking either badger or leupold mark 4.

Now optics question. A lot has changed since the fixed 10x scopes we had. What zoom range do you think for a 300wm?

Tactical Rifles had AI magazine bottom metal that required a little (gunsmith) inletting. Plenty of other good ones.

This is a 700 Varmint that started as a 700 Police. I had the action trued and bedded, and a half-inch chopped off the rear of the factory barrel so it could be re-chambered with a shorter target throat. I replaced the factory trigger with a Jewell but it has a Geissele now.

Badger is a solid rail. Mine has a Nightforce.

Magnification is dependent on what you're shooting and how far.

700V.jpg

That was a barrel and stock ago.

Example bottom metal from Waters Rifleman in Australia:

Waters bottom metal.jpg

Last edited:
    Reactions: Bakwa
    Tactical Rifles had AI magazine bottom metal that required a little (gunsmith) inletting. Plenty of other good ones.

This is a 700 Varmint that started as a 700 Police. I had the action trued and bedded, and a half-inch chopped off the rear of the factory barrel so it could be re-chambered with a shorter target throat. I replaced the factory trigger with a Jewell but it has a Geissele now.

Badger is a solid rail. Mine has a Nightforce.

Magnification is dependent on what you're shooting and how far.

View attachment 8477162

That was a barrel and stock ago.
    For this rifle, I am thinking 1k and in for now. My local range only has out to 600 with plates. I go to nc each month and hopefully will find a range for out further.

I have been looking at the Leupold mark 4 both 4.5-18 and 6-24. My custom gun has a atacr 7-35, but I don't want to spend that much on this gun.

I'm open to other options. My guns I had in the 90s and early 2k both had swfa 10x. I thought about trying to find a 3-15 or 5-25 for cheap if possible.

I'd love to find a geissele trigger, but alas, they are not in production.

Last edited:
    Reactions: sinister
    if you're wanting "nostalgia", the old Mark 4 Leupolds on Midway are the way to go. Just bear in mind that you'll have a mil-based reticle and MOA adjustments (which is why Midway is probably trying to just about give them away now).

H-S Precision did make a DBM back in the day for their stocks. As well, a lot of guys simply sent their stock in to a gunsmith to get the bottom milled out properly for an M5 inlet. If you have a milling machine at your house, it shouldn't be too difficult, just measure and mark twice - cut once. Devcon will become your friend if you take too much off the sides of your inlet.

if you're wanting "nostalgia", the old Mark 4 Leupolds on Midway are the way to go. Just bear in mind that you'll have a mil-based reticle and MOA adjustments (which is why Midway is probably trying to just about give them away now).

H-S Precision did make a DBM back in the day for their stocks. As well, a lot of guys simply sent their stock in to a gunsmith to get the bottom milled out properly for an M5 inlet. If you have a milling machine at your house, it shouldn't be too difficult, just measure and mark twice - cut once. Devcon will become your friend if you take too much off the sides of your inlet.
    I don't ever want to go back to mil/moa. I don't mind a bit of an updated scope with mil/mil and a Christmas tree. I did the same thing on my mk12 mod 1 with the nx8 2.5-20 mil-xt.

• Haha
    Reactions: diggler1833
    I decided on the leupold mark 4 with pr2 mil reticle. I ordered leupold high rings for it, but kinda worried they will be too high. What I can find is they are 1.06" high. If that is correct height.

Those stocks always needed some height added in the rear for cheek weld. If you got one of the new 52 or 56mm objective Mark 4s, your ring height of 1.06 (assuming that is what it is) is good on the objective side.

On all of my old H-S stocks from 20 years ago I added a stock pack to get my eye up to the proper height.

I don't ever want to go back to mil/moa. I don't mind a bit of an updated scope with mil/mil and a Christmas tree. I did the same thing on my mk12 mod 1 with the nx8 2.5-20 mil-xt.

Yeah, having to make an extra step these days is pretty ridiculous, and I'm really hesitant to put a lot of faith in the accuracy of the old Mark 4 adjustments.

I picked up my 700 police in 300 wm from my ffl today.. we talked a lot and I pretty sure I am going to send the stock off to badger shortly to get inletting and bottom metal installed. When I do that I think we are going to rechamber the 300 wm to 300 prc.