• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Leupold 1.1-8 CQBSS review

ccoker

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Supporter
Jul 2, 2008
Central Texas
www.tacticalgunreview.com
“The best carbine optic on the market?”

By: GlockandRoll

Hello shooters:

I am very excited to tell you about my first day in the field with the new Leupold Mk 8 CQBSS 1.1-8 front focal plan scope. I really hoped not to start my review with the clichéd “I could tell it was good when I opened the box“, but; let me tell you – I could tell it was good when I opened the box!

Let’s start with the tube body itself: It is large, 34mm in fact, which I assumed was to get more light in and allow more elevation travel.. I had no idea how right I was until heading out to Best of The West this morning with Charles and Adam. The wide body (and hopefully you can judge this from the pictures) delivers incredible light transmission, edge to edge clarity, and flawless color. We had a truck full of rigs out there with high-end optics from S&B, NF, USO, et al.. and this scope held it’s on with our quick “set them all to 8x and line them up test”. And trust me here, I’m an FAA licensed pilot with 20:10 or better vision, and have always considered myself a good judge of optical quality – this is some damned good glass folks!

So let me quickly reiterate what I think about the Leupold Index Matched Lens System, in this optic: It delivers incredible light transmission, edge to edge clarity, and flawless color.

There, I said it twice.

Now, let’s talk about the main reason you, I, or anyone else would be crazy enough to dump $3K+ into an optic. The main reason I wanted it was because of the versatility this scope offers. No doubt, it’s not a small scope, but then again it’s able to replace two other optics at the same time, my Aimpoint on a LaRue mount, and my 2.5-10 Mk4 MR/T illuminated TMR scope w/ARMS rings. So the way I see it, it’s smaller and less to hall around that those two combined so it is a win.

Sure many will argue “but I can have this and that combined.. for the same price!” fair enough, but is it going to be as rugged, as optically excellent, and function as well without the need to use QD rings and worry about losing zero, or be as good at each role?

Let me also talk about the knobs for a moment. They are amazing it offers 10 Mils of travel with each elevation knob revolution with auto-locking pinch and turn adjustment which I am told Leupold is getting a patent on, as they should it’s the only locking adjustment knob that you can rapidly dial your dope into. It really works well and the clicks are firm and audible in 0.10 mil increments.

I really liked the Horus vision H-27D reticule with a cleverly integrated 5 MOA holographic dot. The front-focal plane allows you to zoom out to 1.1 power and the all you can see is the donut and the horizon line.

H-27D models will feature the M118LR 7.62mm BDC dial, and I did not realize this so I had to do my .10 MIL counts to shoot out to 700 yards. It was not a problem for me, it’s just something to be aware of.

What was that you said? “But GlockandRoll, that’s just too expensive.. I can buy this and that” Sure, it’s not cheap – but I’ll argue that a single tool able to perform multiple roles is better than having to swap tools for different roles. That argument holds just as true when you are in a 3-gun match when you have to engage long-range targets just seconds after close-range targets, as it does in life-and death situations. A fitting analogy would be like having a race car w/slicks and rain tires, but in a fantasy world where a single tire was a sticky on dry pavement as the slicks and as good in the rain as the grooved tire. I would have thought it was impossible until I received this scope last week.

Show me another scope that makes a 5MOA holographic donut reticule that’s so bright we had to back it down of it’s highest setting in the South Central Texas sun at high-noon, that you can – with the flick of a wrist – have a 1000+ yard brilliant FFP reticule piece of glass for long range work with edge-to-edge clarity that is this well made at any price, I dare you.

If you are curious about this piece, please check out Leupold’s website for the Mark 8 1.1-8x24mm CQBSS Front Focal scope and tell them GlockandRoll sent you.

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products...ss-front-focal/

I assure you, it is worth checking out.

Leupold-Mark-8-1.1-8-CQBS-picture.jpg

Leupold-Mark-8-1.1-8-CQBS-picture-2.jpg

Leupold-Mark-8-1.1-8-CQBS-picture-4.jpg

at 250 yards

Leupold-Mark-8-1.1-8-CQBS-picture-reticle-picture-1.jpg

250 yards
Leupold-Mark-8-1.1-8-CQBS-reticle-picture-at-250-yards-illuminated.jpg

1x at 250 yards
Leupold-Mark-8-1.1-8-CQBS-picture-Reticle-picture-2.jpg

500 yards, 8 x, unlit
Leupold-Mark-8-1.1-8-CQBS-Reticle-Picture-500-yards-unlit.jpg

500 yards, 8 x, lit reticle, 1K orange 19" plates in the far background
Leupold-Mark-8-1.1-8-CQBS-reticle-picture-at-500-yards-illuminated.jpg

Reactions: simonp
Re: Leupold 1.1-8 CQBSS review

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This might be the version worth owning, at last. </div></div>

Quite right! I'm amazed why Leupold hasn't stepped in to clarify the difference between the two different models. Quite frankly Hide members have done a better job at clarifying the differences.

I still think it's worth waiting for S&B's offering, given that their scope is smaller and $1000 cheaper. While this version of the CQBSS is very very nice I'm still having a hard time dealing with the $3.5k - $3k price point.

Over time this price will come down as other entrants come out with versions of the same. IOR have apparently got a
1-10x26 short-dot type scope coming out in the next few weeks.

While I applaud Leupold's success with this model (go USA!), there are other, less expensive and possibly better solutions for my own shooting. None of the Leupold, S&B or Premier 1-8x scopes seems to have a rapid transition between 1x and 4-8x, and the change requires the use of a hand to make the adjustment. For 5.56mm, I chose an ELCAN 1-4x SpecterDR with MRD on top; if I shot 7.62mm in an AR I would go for the ELCAN 1.5-6x SpecterDR with the MRD.

More people will opt for the Leupold now that it has the FFP illuminated doughnut. I agree that many will wait and select the S&B because of price and also because of the reasons that Lowlight implied in his video review. I'm not sure where the Premier model will fall in the competition for the 1-8x, but the applause at this point belongs to Leupold for the design and for successfully bringing it to market.

The USO DFP design would be a less expensive solution than the above three designs, except many want a true 1-8x.

Leupold sent me this model after the initial video I did, I still haven't had a chance to do a side by side between the two models here as I have both in my possession.

The reason Leupold hasn't clarified it, at least my understanding is, it was not intended initially for public sales. It was not available, and wasn't until I did that video shoot out did they step up with it. Basically it's a SOCOM/CAG scope so they were all being sent to them as opposed to be split between the public and military.

This is different from the M-TMR model which doesn't have the daylight visible dot. That was the model being shipped to dealers along with being supplied to the Marines. Not sure if it was a case of the type of military use, Delta vs Marines Machine Gunners, or if the extra cost of the Horus was a factor. Because if the M-TMR model was being sold around $3200+ that would mean the version above would be another $400+ on top of that. At least from my terrible rough retail figuring.

They need to incorporate the daylight reticle here with the TMR or come up with a new reticle, the Horus is a waste of time at 8X and lower. But that is what the high speed types were sold on, so I get it.

Personally, I still like the feel of the Leupold, for what I do... as in me personally in the context of SH, I like the Leupold, I don't see me moving to a different 1-8x unless USO knocks one out of the park with their DFP. Can that change, sure but i doubt it.

Like OEJ said, I am also a fan of the Elcan and use the 1.5x-6x with a Docter, it's fast as hell. 2x isn't going to push me over the edge in that respect. The missions just don't support the need in my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This might be the version worth owning, at last. </div></div>

Quite right! I'm amazed why Leupold hasn't stepped in to clarify the difference between the two different models. Quite frankly Hide members have done a better job at clarifying the differences.

I still think it's worth waiting for S&B's offering, given that their scope is smaller and $1000 cheaper. While this version of the CQBSS is very very nice I'm still having a hard time dealing with the $3.5k - $3k price point.

Over time this price will come down as other entrants come out with versions of the same. IOR have apparently got a
1-10x26 short-dot type scope coming out in the next few weeks. </div></div>

And here's the point I really wanted to try and make w/the review.. let's say I have this on an 18" .308, it's just as good as an aimpoint as it is at 1000 yards. I've never seen better edge-to-edge clarity and ZERO color distortion at full power settings. Take a look at the pic at the 500 yard line, the small orage targest at the top ar 1000 yards.
http://tacticalgunreview.com/wp-content/...yards-unlit.jpg

This scope lends itself nicely to two different roles much better than other optics I've used, or combinations thereof.

I bet there are quite a few people out there who have bought the M-TMR version thinking they were getting something like this version with a daylight visible reticle. Ouch! The M-TMR version makes for a very expensive $3k 8 power scope without a red-dot function.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet there are quite a few people out there who have bought the M-TMR version thinking they were getting something like this version with a daylight visible reticle. Ouch! The M-TMR version makes for a very expensive $3k 8 power scope. </div></div>
I panned the M-TMR version when it came out, and that's why I want to give credit now to Leupold for a better design. I wonder if they would still swap reticles for $120?

The 3 Gun Crowd who wanted the daylight visible are surely the ones who would lose on the model not having it. But again, I think the mission of this scope and the others like it are being confused a bit.

As I stated I think the S&B does 1-3x better and the Leupold did 4-8X better, so really if the pros are one end or the other, do you really need to move away from current offerings ? Lots of 1-4x scopes out there, and if you like going to 8x why not just use the 2-10x running around.

It's Gucci cause Delta had a hand in it, and I will put it on my KAC EMC just to mimic em, but really, well okay.

It's been mentioned twice now, but in the context of "Either - Or" I think the switch view of the Elcan does the job better. And from what I have seen the scopes like the Premier are too big, at least Premier's looked really big, if USO sticks to the SN-4 configuration I believe they have the best chance to make a real break through here. The SN4 has been around a long time, is a good optic and I have a 1.5-6x from them which is equally as good. if they can bump it up to 1-8x I think it will be good. Even 1.1-8x is fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet there are quite a few people out there who have bought the M-TMR version thinking they were getting something like this version with a daylight visible reticle. Ouch! The M-TMR version makes for a very expensive $3k 8 power scope. </div></div>
I panned the M-TMR version when it came out, and that's why I want to give credit now to Leupold for a better design. I wonder if they would still swap reticles for $120? </div></div>

Way ahead of you, already called and asked them. THe response I got was, maybe there will be a kit next year. I'd be happy with just the brighter illumination module with the TMR reticle. If that thing were lit at 1X, it would make a nice aiming reference. With the on-level/off control of the illumination, you could adjust the illunination for longer shots if the lot reticle is causing issues. I don't need the HORUS, or its cost. May LowLight can make that suggestion in his feedback that their is a desire for it.

I'm running my CQBSS on my 556 3gun rifle now, not my LMT MWS. The advantage, if the CQBSS had a better 1x function, is that one optic keeps you out of open class.

I don't know why the 5moa circle is called 'holographic'? Isn't it just a lit circle on the reticle.

I really think that 1-8 is probably more scope than is really needed, especially for 556 guns and 3gunning in particular. 1-6 is probably just right, and if that keeps the cost down and makes the 1x lit aim point, higher mag FFP MIL reticle easier and cheaper, all the better.

Here's hoping that USO or NF, being latter to the game have incorporated a lot of the insights that have come out of the CQBSS and the S&B prototypes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CSTACTICAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NICE...

I really like the one I have.

Mike @ CST </div></div>

I'm guessing, but being in the trade you must have the Horus version as well? Is the Horus version available yet Mike, and if it is what's the price? All the dealers I've checked only seem to have the rather expensive TMR version.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While I applaud Leupold's success with this model (go USA!), there are other, less expensive and possibly better solutions for my own shooting. None of the Leupold, S&B or Premier 1-8x scopes seems to have a rapid transition between 1x and 4-8x, and the change requires the use of a hand to make the adjustment. For 5.56mm, I chose an ELCAN 1-4x SpecterDR with MRD on top; if I shot 7.62mm in an AR I would go for the ELCAN 1.5-6x SpecterDR with the MRD.

More people will opt for the Leupold now that it has the FFP illuminated doughnut. I agree that many will wait and select the S&B because of price and also because of the reasons that Lowlight implied in his video review. I'm not sure where the Premier model will fall in the competition for the 1-8x, but the applause at this point belongs to Leupold for the design and for successfully bringing it to market.

The USO DFP design would be a less expensive solution than the above three designs, except many want a true 1-8x.</div></div>

Actually I find it VERY easy to rapidly transition, as the entire rear eye-piece moves not just a power ring like on the S&B, I believe it may have been Lowlight that pointed this out in a video review I saw?

Again, the biggest difference in this scope and others that I can think of - are that it's FANTASTIC at both QCB and half-a-mile, with the flick of a wrist. And, it may just be the best piece of glass I've ever looked through - no joke.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Recon0317</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Think Leupold would accept a first born for this scope? </div></div>

Dunno, does the kid have papers? lol

Glock,

Have you ran timed CQB (<10yd) drills where you're using this optic and compared it to something truly 1x and holographic like an Aimpoint or an Eotech? Wondering how the 1.1x through a tube works out with that type of situation. Even if you've not run timed drills for comparison, do you have a feel for whether or not the Leupold is faster/same/slower?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: twadsw01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Glock,

Have you ran timed CQB (<10yd) drills where you're using this optic and compared it to something truly 1x and holographic like an Aimpoint or an Eotech? Wondering how the 1.1x through a tube works out with that type of situation. Even if you've not run timed drills for comparison, do you have a feel for whether or not the Leupold is faster/same/slower?</div></div>

I havent ran any CQB drills with it, but I feel confident - becuase of the way the reticle is lit and how it forces your eye to the center - that it would be as fast as an EOtech/Aimpoint, etc... or close enough.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vtb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Scope is useless if it's not available.
Does anyone know who's stocking h-27d model of CQBSS?

PS
What's the model of flip-up rear sight on the pictures?</div></div>

I can ask Leupold who is stocking them.
The rear BUIS is a Matech unit, I really like them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I can ask Leupold who is stocking them.
The rear BUIS is a Matech unit, I really like them. </div></div>

Thank you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vtb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any update on availability of H-27D version of CQBSS? </div></div>

I've heard rumor that Leupold are only making this version of the scope available to the military and LE.

Hi.
Thank you for an interesting review.
Say - correctly to compare <span style="font-weight: bold">Leupold Mk 8 CQBSS 1.1-8 front focal plan scope</span> and <span style="font-weight: bold">March Tactical model 1x-10x 24mm MTR-2</span> ,- if and that probably March Tactical model 1x-10x better?
Thank you for an answer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ccoker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">“The best carbine optic on the market?”

By: GlockandRoll

Hello shooters:

I am very excited to tell you about my first day in the field with the new Leupold Mk 8 CQBSS 1.1-8 front focal plan scope. I really hoped not to start my review with the clichéd “I could tell it was good when I opened the box“, but; let me tell you – I could tell it was good when I opened the box!

Let’s start with the tube body itself: It is large, 34mm in fact, which I assumed was to get more light in and allow more elevation travel.. I had no idea how right I was until heading out to Best of The West this morning with Charles and Adam. The wide body (and hopefully you can judge this from the pictures) delivers incredible light transmission, edge to edge clarity, and flawless color. We had a truck full of rigs out there with high-end optics from S&B, NF, USO, et al.. and this scope held it’s on with our quick “set them all to 8x and line them up test”. And trust me here, I’m an FAA licensed pilot with 20:10 or better vision, and have always considered myself a good judge of optical quality – this is some damned good glass folks!

So let me quickly reiterate what I think about the Leupold Index Matched Lens System, in this optic: It delivers incredible light transmission, edge to edge clarity, and flawless color.

There, I said it twice.

Now, let’s talk about the main reason you, I, or anyone else would be crazy enough to dump $3K+ into an optic. The main reason I wanted it was because of the versatility this scope offers. No doubt, it’s not a small scope, but then again it’s able to replace two other optics at the same time, my Aimpoint on a LaRue mount, and my 2.5-10 Mk4 MR/T illuminated TMR scope w/ARMS rings. So the way I see it, it’s smaller and less to hall around that those two combined so it is a win.

Sure many will argue “but I can have this and that combined.. for the same price!” fair enough, but is it going to be as rugged, as optically excellent, and function as well without the need to use QD rings and worry about losing zero, or be as good at each role?

Let me also talk about the knobs for a moment. They are amazing it offers 10 Mils of travel with each elevation knob revolution with auto-locking pinch and turn adjustment which I am told Leupold is getting a patent on, as they should it’s the only locking adjustment knob that you can rapidly dial your dope into. It really works well and the clicks are firm and audible in 0.10 mil increments.

I really liked the Horus vision H-27D reticule with a cleverly integrated 5 MOA holographic dot. The front-focal plane allows you to zoom out to 1.1 power and the all you can see is the donut and the horizon line.

H-27D models will feature the M118LR 7.62mm BDC dial, and I did not realize this so I had to do my .10 MIL counts to shoot out to 700 yards. It was not a problem for me, it’s just something to be aware of.

What was that you said? “But GlockandRoll, that’s just too expensive.. I can buy this and that” Sure, it’s not cheap – but I’ll argue that a single tool able to perform multiple roles is better than having to swap tools for different roles. That argument holds just as true when you are in a 3-gun match when you have to engage long-range targets just seconds after close-range targets, as it does in life-and death situations. A fitting analogy would be like having a race car w/slicks and rain tires, but in a fantasy world where a single tire was a sticky on dry pavement as the slicks and as good in the rain as the grooved tire. I would have thought it was impossible until I received this scope last week.

Show me another scope that makes a 5MOA holographic donut reticule that’s so bright we had to back it down of it’s highest setting in the South Central Texas sun at high-noon, that you can – with the flick of a wrist – have a 1000+ yard brilliant FFP reticule piece of glass for long range work with edge-to-edge clarity that is this well made at any price, I dare you.

If you are curious about this piece, please check out Leupold’s website for the Mark 8 1.1-8x24mm CQBSS Front Focal scope and tell them GlockandRoll sent you.

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/products...ss-front-focal/

I assure you, it is worth checking out.

Leupold-Mark-8-1.1-8-CQBS-picture.jpg

Leupold-Mark-8-1.1-8-CQBS-picture-2.jpg

Leupold-Mark-8-1.1-8-CQBS-picture-4.jpg

at 250 yards

Leupold-Mark-8-1.1-8-CQBS-picture-reticle-picture-1.jpg

250 yards
Leupold-Mark-8-1.1-8-CQBS-reticle-picture-at-250-yards-illuminated.jpg

1x at 250 yards
Leupold-Mark-8-1.1-8-CQBS-picture-Reticle-picture-2.jpg

500 yards, 8 x, unlit
Leupold-Mark-8-1.1-8-CQBS-Reticle-Picture-500-yards-unlit.jpg

500 yards, 8 x, lit reticle, 1K orange 19" plates in the far background
Leupold-Mark-8-1.1-8-CQBS-reticle-picture-at-500-yards-illuminated.jpg

</div></div>

Exactly what I have been looking for to to an AR. Useable as a red dot, with magnification up to 8x and a reticle that can be used for holdovers.

Not crazy about the pricing though... hopefully other follow suit and offer something similar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sititunga1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vtb</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any update on availability of H-27D version of CQBSS? </div></div>

I've heard rumor that Leupold are only making this version of the scope available to the military and LE.</div></div>

I have an email in to Leopold to find out who is stocking them.

Now, if I could just figure out why my avatar wont show, I even deleted it, and uploaded a new one?

kristian55 said:
Hi.
Say - correctly to compare <span style="font-weight: bold">Leupold Mk 8 CQBSS 1.1-8 front focal plan scope</span> and <span style="font-weight: bold">March Tactical model 1x-10x 24mm MTR-2</span> ,- if and that probably March Tactical model 1x-10x better?
Thank you for an answer.

certainly looks interesting, and would love to compare them side by side.
http://marchscopes.com.au/tactical-1-10-x-24-scope.html

The illuminated model is $3K, so I'm guessing it's not cheaply made.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Exactly what I have been looking for to to an AR. Useable as a red dot, with magnification up to 8x and a reticle that can be used for holdovers.

Not crazy about the pricing though... hopefully other follow suit and offer something similar.</div></div>

You know, really, we were quite pleased with the VXR Firedot Patrol 1-4 model for the price, check out our review.
http://tacticalgunreview.com/?p=1035

Yes,
this would be an interesting review and comparison.
Unique BUT for MarchTac. 1-10(MTR-2) - I like H-27 reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
kristian55 said:
Hi.
Thank you for an answer.

certainly looks interesting, and would love to compare them side by side.
http://marchscopes.com.au/tactical-1-10-x-24-scope.html

The illuminated model is $3K, so I'm guessing it's not cheaply made.

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GlockandRoll</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Exactly what I have been looking for to to an AR. Useable as a red dot, with magnification up to 8x and a reticle that can be used for holdovers.

Not crazy about the pricing though... hopefully other follow suit and offer something similar.</div></div>

You know, really, we were quite pleased with the VXR Firedot Patrol 1-4 model for the price, check out our review.
http://tacticalgunreview.com/?p=1035 </div></div>

I like the Vortex PST in the 1-4x scopes. What I really like about this one is the 8x power and the reticle. I wish PR would put something like this based on the Gen2 XR in their 1-8x. I'd snap that up in a second...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postal0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a picture of the reticle at 1x with the illumn off?</div></div>

I cant imagine it would be much to look at as it is a FFP. You would barely even see anything. Just the horizon dashes on the outsides.
http://tacticalgunreview.com/wp-content/...e-picture-2.jpg

So with that in mind, is there much of a visible reticle if the battery dies and your still in 1X mode? I would guess not - which would be a downside to the H27D ret.

Seems the M-TMR ret with the daylight visible dot would be ideal.

That is exactly why I am asking, GlockandRoll.

It looks like the S&B scope that has been shown off would be useless with out its flash dot. The pictures of the prototype PR 1-8x has the standard black bars on the reticle that appear that it would still be useful should you have a dead battery. I am curious how well the Horus reticle would work in the daylight with the illumn off. Those side bars would help, but I wonder how visible the donut is with out illumn.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postal0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is exactly why I am asking, GlockandRoll.

It looks like the S&B scope that has been shown off would be useless with out its flash dot. The pictures of the prototype PR 1-8x has the standard black bars on the reticle that appear that it would still be useful should you have a dead battery. I am curious how well the Horus reticle would work in the daylight with the illumn off. Those side bars would help, but I wonder how visible the donut is with out illumn. </div></div>

This has been my biggest concern with all the 1-8's. The IOR 1-10 would have a good reticle for no battery I would assume but I haven't heard a peep about it in months.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fongman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So with that in mind, is there much of a visible reticle if the battery dies and your still in 1X mode? I would guess not - which would be a downside to the H27D ret.

Seems the M-TMR ret with the daylight visible dot would be ideal.</div></div>

But why would I be set at no mag if the light stopped working, at that time I would just crank in some reticle and use it like a non-illum optic?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF1986</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Postal0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is exactly why I am asking, GlockandRoll.

It looks like the S&B scope that has been shown off would be useless with out its flash dot. The pictures of the prototype PR 1-8x has the standard black bars on the reticle that appear that it would still be useful should you have a dead battery. I am curious how well the Horus reticle would work in the daylight with the illumn off. Those side bars would help, but I wonder how visible the donut is with out illumn. </div></div>

This has been my biggest concern with all the 1-8's. The IOR 1-10 would have a good reticle for no battery I would assume but I haven't heard a peep about it in months.</div></div>

My thoughts on this are to as follows.
1. Carry a spare battery.
2. If it's a failure and not the battery, move up to a higher power setting and use the FFP reticle in non-illumination mode.
3. That's why we have BUIS.