• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Leupold Mk4 for rimfire?

Mxridr

Private
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Mar 4, 2017
    Any real world experience with the mk4? Parallax? I want to use for nrl 22 and maybe some centerfire. All around scope but mainly 22. Thanks

Which version. Higher magnification range probably isn’t going to have the lower parallax you need. They were good scopes at the time, might be better options for same money these days.

Mk4 hd 6x24 is the one I am looking at

I have the 4HD 6-24x52 (PR2-MIL reticle) and it's a great scope. I use it for NRL/PRS 22 but would be confident in using it in Centerfire. Very solid, great glass quality, and the turrets are very nice. Parallax is fine for rimfire going down to 25 yards but honestly you'll almost never shoot that close. For NRL I run it at ~14x with Parallax set to around 75 yards and don't touch it during stages (outside of KYL ones).

My only complaint might be the dial marks are a tad hard to see/read quickly but I've gotten used to them. I had a Razor HD Gen 2 before it and think the glass quality is better on the Mark 4HD. Turrets were probably a tad better on the Razor, but not so much so that I'd pick it over the Leupold. Another big plus is the weight. At ~28oz it really helps keep the weight down on the back of the rifle for better balance. My rig weighs ~18lbs (almost 20 with the Razor) and balances perfectly.

1723822105310.png

1723822145256.png

I am also looking at mk4 possibly the 6-24 or8-32.
    Can you quantify the MK4 HD vs the Zeiss S3 4-25?

I have a Zeiss and it’s a nice scope but I don’t love it like I love my MK5s…
    I don't have experience with a Zeiss but the Mark 4 HD is a (34mm tube 52mm objective) version of the Mark 5 (35mm tube 56mm objective) that meets military battle scope requirements, Mark 4 HD has the same glass but less the Diamond Coat (military requirement) coating on the Mark 5. Mark 4HD has Hydrophobic Guard Ion coating, can parallax down to 25 yards, and has the same professional-grade dual spring erector system as the Mark 5HD.

One thing of importance is the elevation adjustment, 6-24 has 125 MOA vs 70 on the 8-32.
    The Mark 4HD 4.5-18 electronic model also has a built-in Electronic reticle level

Of the MK4 HDs is there one that is better suited to NRL22/PRS Rimfire?

I don’t need a ton of magnification, I want glass quality, good turrets, good reticle. The MK5 did that, and while I want a ZCO… I am not feeling like spending ZCO money…

The Zeiss is nice but the reticle is just ok and only “works” way up past 16x and the depth of field leaves something to be desired, and it’s huge/heavy and doesn’t fit in my safe well. Haha.

Can anyone chime in on glass quality MK4 HD vs Zeiss S3?

Reactions: David Lott

I don’t need a ton of magnification, I want glass quality, good turrets, good reticle. The MK5 did that, and while I want a ZCO… I am not feeling like spending ZCO money…

I don't think you'd be disappointed in the 4HD. It's no ZCO, but it's one of the better scopes I've used and definitely hangs with plenty of the $2000+ scopes.

I think the 6-24 is pretty spot on for NRL22/PRS Rimfire. I run mine at 14x most of the time, but it's nice to use 24x when ammo testing. I think you could be quite happy with the 4.5-18 though. That's plenty of magnification for both NRL and PRS. The built-in Electronic reticle level system* @David Lott mentioned is available on the 4.5-18, but only for the PR1 reticle (the PR2 is the Christmas tree).

PR1 vs PR2
    1723837428584.png
    1723837455482.png

*The Electronic Reticle will flash when the scope isn't level, promoting more accurate long-range shots. It can also simplify the mounting process.

The Zeiss is nice but the reticle is just ok and only “works” way up past 16x and the depth of field leaves something to be desired, and it’s huge/heavy and doesn’t fit in my safe well. Haha.

Can anyone chime in on glass quality MK4 HD vs Zeiss S3?
    The 6-24 with PR2 reticle is the best bang for the buck in NRL/PRS considering how robust it is built, see post above^^^

I don't think you'd be disappointed in the 4HD. It's no ZCO, but it's one of the better scopes I've used and definitely hangs with plenty of the $2000+ scopes.

I think the 6-24 is pretty spot on for NRL22/PRS Rimfire. I run mine at 14x most of the time, but it's nice to use 24x when ammo testing. I think you could be quite happy with the 4.5-18 though. That's plenty of magnification for both NRL and PRS. The built-in Electronic reticle level system* @David Lott mentioned is available on the 4.5-18, but only for the PR1 reticle (the PR2 is the Christmas tree).

PR1 vs PR2
    View attachment 8481271View attachment 8481272
    *The Electronic Reticle will flash when the scope isn't level, promoting more accurate long-range shots. It can also simplify the mounting process.
    We just compared a ZCO 840 to a Mark5 7x35 and the glass is almost too good, not sure the 1851.00 price difference will make you hit targets better, and definitely want hit targets better at 2751.00 cost over the Mark 4 HD.