Rifle Scopes Leupold MK4HD 6-24x52 PR3-MIL input please

muad

Private
Minuteman
Apr 25, 2011
Ohio
Looking for feedback on this optic. My pursuit to find a higher magnification scope for my PredatOBR continues. I'd like to keep it under $1500, and there are certain features I want/need (Zero stop, good clear glass, a finer reticle). I like the PR3 reticle as it appears less obstructive to the field of view at higher magnification settings - which is appealing as I'm hunting small critters at distance.

I'm also considering the following scopes, and am curious as to the Hide's thoughts on this Leupold in comparison:

• Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-21x50 DMR3 G4P
  • Primary Arms GLx 4.5-27x56 ACSS Athena BPR MIL
  • Primary Arms GLx 6-24x50 ACSS Athena BPR MIL
I'd love to snag a Nightforce NX8 or ATACR, but the budget doesn't allow for these right now.

I do have access to MIL/LEO discounts.

Any input is appreciated. Main use is hunting varmints out to 500+ yards. Currently I have a PA GLx 2.5-10x44 and I'm finding it tough to get a good POA when chucks are 350+ yards out - hence my want for a higher magnification scope.

I have a 6-24x50 on another rifle that works well for wood chucking.

Happy Independence Day Hide!!!!

I said this in the MK4 thread but without question IMO there isn’t a scope on the market offering that kind of glass, turret feel, and lightweight near that price. If the sky isn’t the limit on glass at the moment I’m not sure I’d look anywhere else but the MK4. I want one simply to have and don’t have a rifle to put it on. The 4.5-18 might end up my m110 build that I’m about to start, less i wanna be clone correct and do a tanodized MK5.

I would argue the larger MK5 is a step above both the NX8s and on the heels of an ATACR. There are differences of course, notably CA control and contrast on the ATACR is superior. Resolution is nearly equal and MK5 wins in low light in my experience. To be frank of all the scopes I’ve had my 5-25 MK5 was the best low light optic I’ve owned i think they’re exceptional in that regard.

This all goes to say of the optics listed, i respectfully think they won’t compare to the MK4 and with the mil/leo discount it’s a no brainer.

I’m using MK5’s 5x25 on my three rifles. Pretty happy with all of them.

Ggoing to the low light reception, my VX5 3x15 hunting scope is a real goer in very dim light. Was spotting a deer four years ago at the very last minute of shooting time in light so dark it would seemingly make the page look white. I passed on the deer, though I had a good shot on its vitals, “Its” is the key word, could not determine sex and the background was a washout. Not supposed to be anyone in the background, but Not Supposed to be and Not are too often, different things.

Reactions: muad
I said this in the MK4 thread but without question IMO there isn’t a scope on the market offering that kind of glass, turret feel, and lightweight near that price. If the sky isn’t the limit on glass at the moment I’m not sure I’d look anywhere else but the MK4. I want one simply to have and don’t have a rifle to put it on. The 4.5-18 might end up my m110 build that I’m about to start, less i wanna be clone correct and do a tanodized MK5.

I would argue the larger MK5 is a step above both the NX8s and on the heels of an ATACR. There are differences of course, notably CA control and contrast on the ATACR is superior. Resolution is nearly equal and MK5 wins in low light in my experience. To be frank of all the scopes I’ve had my 5-25 MK5 was the best low light optic I’ve owned i think they’re exceptional in that regard.

This all goes to say of the optics listed, i respectfully think they won’t compare to the MK4 and with the mil/leo discount it’s a no brainer.

I appreciate the first hand experience you've shared here. This helps solidify my decision on the MK4.

Reactions: 5RWill