• Today we celebrate America. Happy 4th!

Thank you to all the vets and Americans out there and if you were a vet, share your stories below! We're also offering a 15% discount on all subscriptions with code AMERICA24

Share your story Subscribe

Leupold RX-2800 TBR/W Laser - Reviews

powerspc

It Sounded Like a Good Idea at the Time
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 15, 2018
    Hi, I had tagged this onto another thread but probably should have created a new one. There are some great deals currently on the Leica CRF 2000-B right now and I was just about to pull the trigger when I thought I should at least ask and see if anyone has any hands-on experience with the Leupold RX-2800 TBR/W Laser and how that might compare to the Leica CRF 2000-B? I've seen a lot of reviews comparing some of the older model Leupolds and the Leica seems to win easily. I'm curious whether Leupold has stepped up their game with the RX-2800. I can pick up the Loopy for about $25 under even the Leica eCheck sale price. Any input appreciated.

I have had one for about 6 weeks now... Used it in one class and and been ranging stuff all over the place. I got steel ranged at 1200 yards with no prob. A building at 3000 yards. A boat sinking in the gulf at 2300 yards... I like it. I have yet to figure out the ballistic part of it as my loads dont fit to well in their chart...

Dennis

I have had one for about 6 weeks now... Used it in one class and and been ranging stuff all over the place. I got steel ranged at 1200 yards with no prob. A building at 3000 yards. A boat sinking in the gulf at 2300 yards... I like it. I have yet to figure out the ballistic part of it as my loads dont fit to well in their chart...

Dennis
    Thats the leupold 2800? sounds promising

Yes

Attachments

• IMG_20180802_095547930.jpg
      IMG_20180802_095547930.jpg
      346.4 KB · Views: 301
    I’ve had the Leupold 2800 for about 2 months. I like it. Previously had a Bushnell Elite 1 mike. 2800 is WAY better. I’ve ranged trees with mine out to 1,400y. It easily ranges my steel at 1,000. It will range a 2” pipe at 400. I’ve also gotten ranges off of a couple tall stalks of grass at 250. I’ll talking 2 heads of Johnson grass, not a clump. I’ve yet to take it way out there, but at 1,400 and in it works great. I have no experience with Leica.

I picked one up yesterday. So far I've got cows reliably out to 1400 and a power pole past 2000. Going out tomorrow to veridy with bullets. More to come.

I picked up one of these from a prize table this weekend, and had a little time to play with it and compare to a Sig Kilo 2000 and Nikon 4k. The Leupold 2800 has better glass and ranges further than either of those. Trees at 1700 and a small grain silo at 2300ish were the furthest things I could find to range from where I was. The 4k could hit the 1700 yd tree line but couldn't get the silo. The Sig Kilo could get trees at 1300 but the tree line at 1700 and silo at 2300 was a no go.

Reactions: TCG76
    Here's how to determine your rifle & load's TBR/W "Group Number" to make the RX2800's ballistic solution as accurate as possible. You can also figure out a correction when using a 100 yard zero versus a 200 or 300 yard zero from the RX2800 group charts.

The Leupold RX2800 uses "Group Numbers" to categorize rifle ballistics. Use your favorite ballistic calculator to work up three range tables:

1. Use a 200 or 300 yard zero, zero wind and 600 yards as max range. Write down the 600 yard trajectory in inches.

2. Add a 10mph crosswind from 3 o'clock or 90 degrees and write down the 600 yard wind drift in inches. We do a separate chart to keep vertical wind jump out of our elevation number.

3. If you don't zero your rifle at 200 or 300 yards then do another range table using your actual zero range (I use 100 yards) and no crosswind. Write down the 600 yard trajectory in inches. Since the RX2800 Load Group Selection Table uses 200 or 300 yard zeros we'll use this number to calculate an elevation correction to make the RX2800's ballistic solution more accurate.

These numbers must be in inches to use the RX2800 Group Selection Table. I use the free online Hornady 4DOF calculator. Be sure and select the units as inches, not MOA or Mils.

RX2800_Load_Group_Selection_Table.png

With value #1 and #2 go into the RX2800 TBR/W LOAD GROUP SELECTION TABLE: FOR BEST FIT UP TO 600 YARDS (page 25 of the owner's manual) and find where your numbers fit in. You have to match the zero range (200 or 300 yards), value #1 and value #2 in the chart. When you match all that you get the "Group Number" you will enter into the RX2800's setup menu. Turn the RX2800 on then hold the Mode button for more than 2 seconds to enter the setup menu. Press the Mode button to move between fields and press the Power button to select values. "Function 2" is where you set your Group Number. You only have to set the Group Number once unless you change rifles or loads.

If you don't use a 200 or 300 yard zero that the Group Selection chart uses we can calculate a correction to compensate. For example, I zero my rifle at 100 yards so I subtract value #3 from value #1 to get my correction. For my Tikka T3x TAC A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor with Hornady 147 ELDM factory ammo gives me a 2665fps muzzle velocity and I zero my rifle at 100 yards. This load puts me into Group 10 with a zero elevation correction of 0.4mil. I add 0.4 to the RX2800's elevation mil display. The wind solution does not need to be corrected. The elevation correction is the same at all ranges.

P.S. I freakin' love this range finder.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Chasing and woodmtw
    I don’t use any of it other functions just straight up ranging.

Overall I’m really happy with it.
    I was easily able to range a 2’x2’ plate a bit beyond a mile in strong sunlight.

Tree and bushes hits at 2000 are fairly easy.

Anything inside of 1600 yards is child’s play for it.

I also just use it to range targets, no ballistics. BUT I can tell you that this is awesome. Anecdotally, It worked better than three different Vectronix LRfs ( a 25C, something experimental, and a Vector 21) This rangefinder is pretty quick, just a tad bit slower than my other friend's SIG Kilo 2200, although we got more consistent readings past 2000 with the leupold. I was Hitting power lines and poles at 2000 off of a tripod and bag. The only thing I noticed, as that the center of the beam is not the center of the crosshair, I have to hold it on the very edge of one of the lines of the cross-hair. So it isn't centered perfectly. But now that I know that i have a finer point with which to aim with. Honestly, I love this rangefinder. 100 percent.

Ok, I’m in need of some help on this one for some reason. I just got this rx2800 and I’m trying to figure out the above ballistic load group info and wind set up so this system can be used to it’s full potential. I’m not new to shooting but new to ballistic calculators and such so the above read through apparently keeps just going over my head. This kinda crosses into the ballistic calculations threads but I’m hoping someone can help

Rifle : AI AT 20” w/ thunderbeast ultra 7 on the end. (Unable to set up on a crono yet, since It looks like that is needed for most ballistic apps)

ammo: Hornady 168 gr ELD match

With a 100 yard zero at about 400 feet above sea level in the Pacific Northwest.

Average temp 60 degrees give or take 20 degree swings throughout the year.

I’ve tried to run this through the Hornady apps but I’m unsure if I’m doing it right( I’ve always been more of a just go shoot and collect data guy).

I’m hoping one of you out there is board and willing to help me out by running the numbers so I can figure the ballistic load settings and wind set. What am I missing? Can you help?