Lightweight Spotting Scope Tripods

aron

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2010
ND
Alright guys I'm looking for a new tripod. It needs to be lightweight as I will be using it for hunting and my damn pack is already heavy enough.

I currently use a Vanguard Alta which weighs 3.5 lbs but it is just not quite compact enough (24" folded length). It will be used primarily sitting on my ass and glassing so it doesn't need to extend to 60". I would also like it to have the same adapter for window mount.

Not looking to spend $300 on tripod. Any suggestions?

Re: Lightweight Tripods

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aron</div><div class="ubbcode-body">forgot to mention this is for a spotting scope</div></div>

Like he said, Check these guys out.

http://www.precisionriflesolutions.com/

It will work as a spotter tripod, he has extra bases so the tripod will work for your camera, gun, rangefinder, tripod. Him and his wife are top notch. I bought one and am glad I did. You will to.

tripodfield2.jpg

Can't go wrong with PRS gear, like the lads said - Platypus and his wife are lovely people definitely worth dealing with.

I've got the Medium with SSP2 cradle but also the LRF plate. With your spotter you can lay it sideways on the cradle or strap it to the plate and it's not so bad. For shooting off though, it's good to go... It doesn't clamp down so you have freedom of movement for awkward shots and less moving parts.

For my new Pentax spotting scope I just bought this one from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EE7XYW

I haven't received it yet but should be great for prone and bench position shooting for my spotting scope. The downside is that it only extends from 10 to 16 inches so it may not fit your requirements. The other one I researched was the compact tripod that Leupold makes and pairs with their mark iv model spotting scopes. It has much higher adjustment range and is under $80. Only complaint i've heard about them is that they're a tad high for someone ina bench shooting position which is what i'll use it for most often.

I found that the SLIK tripod I used was too wobbly trying to observe shots at the longer distance. With any wind, the tripod head would wobble just slightly and no matter how hard I tightened everything, it would not get tight enough. I know manfrottos are not very popular because of how heavy they are but I loved mine because it was durable and rock steady - manfrotto 190 4 section. it enabled the shooter to pull off reliable steady shots from the standing no problem.

If you want light weight and affordable carbon fiber, look at Feisol. My Feisol has legs with four pieces so it packs down really small and it is very light, but as stable as I would ever need for my scope.

Another vote for Precision Rifle Solutions. Simple, affordable and they work. For the money they are hard to beat, and the CS is as good as it gets.