• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Lilja vs. Shilen

jcwarrior87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 6, 2009
Selah, Wa
I am torn I have made my mind up on two different barrels I want either a lilja or shilen I am using a 77/22 action I am I will be buying a .920 dia barrel. I am just wondering if there is much of a difference the lilja is listed at 360$ and the shilen is listed at 233$ if the shilen is as good as the lilja then I'll go with the cheaper one, what are your thoughts?

Re: Lilja vs. Shilen

I don't know what to tell you about that caliber, but I've got two Lilja barrels, one in 375 and the other 224...

They are both hand lapped, and shot wonderfully. So you can't go wrong there...

Of course, neither of them were cheap, per se.

I haven't tried Shilen...I tried once, but didn't want to wait their quoted time. I have a few Lilja's and am very happy with them. Their 77/22 barrels are usually in stock. I think mine showed up a couple of days after ordering it. Best of all Dan is a very knowledgeable guy and provides great customer service.

I haven't either in rimfires, but I do shoot smallbore silhouette with some pretty serious rimfire guys.
The vast majority of the one's I know with custom rifles use Lilja (and mostly Lilja tight bores).

I haven't had the chance to try a Lilja barrel but I do have a couple of Shilen barrels and they are both excellent. One on a 10/22 and is a varmint contour 22 in. barrel, and the other is a 20 in. .920 on my Ruger 77/22. Here is the link to the oics of my rifle & target on SH. Check them out and see if they help any.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...893#Post1333893

Follow this link to the 2009 national championship Equipment list. There's alot more Shilens than Lilja's in the top 20. I have both and they both shoot great. Keep in mind BR cycles through equipment and next year most likely there will be a different barrel on top. The BR guys are always looking for an edge. Donald

http://ara.benchrest.net/2009/2009_Nationals%20Equipment.htm

Go with the Shilen just because it's cheaper - with a ruger action and trigger you'll
never get the most out of the tube.
Lilja's are hand lapped but so are Shilens that are on BR guns.
With the Lilja though you can order a custom contour.
It all depends how serious you want to get - with your plateform I would not
rule out GM or VQ either - GM is usually the biggest bang for the buck when
dealing with a ruger.