hafejd30

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 27, 2019
    MI
    I’ve been reading a lot of threads but many are from 2012-2014 it seems

Let’s talk accuracy from your LMT MWS setups. 6.5/260/308

I’m putting together a MWS and have a 16” CL barrel I picked up from the px on the way. Will run hunting ammo in hopes of under 2 MOA accuracy but will be looking for another barrel 18-22” range in 308 for it

Share your setups and accuracy

CL and SS also looking into custom from D. Wilson
    IMG_6682.jpeg

Reactions: camocorvette
    I recently tested my 16” CL 7.62 barrel with Norma Target 175gr and Hornady Black 168gr.

Shot 10 round groups at 100yds with both and it ranged from 1.6”-1.9” groups with both.

I am wanting to try a SS barrel or have one modified by D.Wilson. Hope this helps.

Factory 16" piston 308 rifle. 1-8 CQBSS. 10 rounds. Two 5 round groups. T308T ammo. Most accurate gas gun I've owned. Buddy has the exact same rifle shooting the same ammo and his results are similar. Super impressed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240808_100806_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20240808_100806_Gallery.jpg
      306.4 KB · Views: 121
    • Screenshot_20240808_101356_Gallery.jpg
      Screenshot_20240808_101356_Gallery.jpg
      332.3 KB · Views: 128
    My samples are all 2020+ models - MARS H & L - 7.62, 6.5, 6, 5.56.

With factory ammo, pretty much anything worth it's salt has been sub 1", but more realistically closer to .5-.7". 5rd groups fired at 100y when zero'ing.

I have not found any barrel, CL or Proof, to have any sort of accuracy issues.

Factory 16" piston 308 rifle. 1-8 CQBSS. 10 rounds. Two 5 round groups. T308T ammo. Most accurate gas gun I've owned. Buddy has the exact same rifle shooting the same ammo and his results are similar. Super impressed.

Same gun same ammo same results here. Different 1-8 optic.

That’s the blue tip federal 168 correct?

I have considered the piston setup as well

I have 16 inch LW SS cut down to 13.7 and p&w.

Hasn’t loved the 175 class bullets but FGMM 168 is around .8 for five.

Trying to get the AAC 168 to test next.

I really need some help here fellas,

If your MWS can’t shoot GM308M2 at 1MOA at 100 through their factory CL & SS barrels, there’s a serious issue going one.

As for hunting ammo, no idea as I’ve never used any of em. But my 16” CL and 20” SS 308 barrels (MARS-H MWS) both shot GM308M2 under 1MOA with a bag and bipod from table top prone. That’s as of earlier this year and late last year. I just sold the rifle a few weeks back because I rarely ever shot it…but when I did, it was outstanding.

Hopefully your venture with the hunting ammo goes well.

Also, just get yourself some factory barrels from Rooftop Defense. Great pricing and fast shipping.

We have one with 6.5 Creedmoor that shoots like a hand built custom
    Bolt gun. Little bitty groups. We have 2 16” 5.56 that are under one moa as well

In short they shoot great

My 6.5 CM was a sub moa hammer. 5.56 in factory CL mrp was also top notch.

Could never get the 7.62 CL to shoot worth a fuck though…

@M8541Reaper
    @MikeMiller

Can either of you, or anyone else, jump on my other thread and let me know what you think. My gun won’t lock back on a magazine. I found this in the buffer tube and just trying to see if it belongs there or what my issue is

Twenty rds of 168. FGMM, 300 yards, 4 inch circle, 16 inch chrome lined.

I’ll take it.

View attachment 8475909

View attachment 8475908
    Jump over here and help me figure this out please. I’m going insane currently

When tightening the barrel I’m thinking

Snug/snug
    Front 70 inch lbs/rear 70 inch lbs
    Front 140 inch lbs/Rear 140 inch lbs

Anyone have any secrets to accuracy or repeatability they want to share.

I come from AI rifles. We have 10 pages dedicated just to torquing a barrel screw

Impressive shooting. Have you been able to obtain repeat groupings as tight as the two five round groups that are shown in the photo? Also, what other gas guns have you shot that you are comparing to the LMT 7.62 piston rifle?

Impressive shooting. Have you been able to obtain repeat groupings as tight as the two five round groups that are shown in the photo? Also, what other gas guns have you shot that you are comparing to the LMT 7.62 piston rifle?

KAC SR-25 ACC (x3), APC (x2), ECC. LMT 13.5 Stainless & a 16" that was cut to 14.5.

Generally a 1 inch or less gun with that ammo. Will get around to a 5x5 someday but not really high on my list of things to do.

This won’t answer your question but will give you something for comparison. This is what you can expect if you pick up a Seekins SP10. This one is in 6.5 creedmoor that I picked up used last week. I loaded 4 rounds of each 40.5gr, 41.0gr, and 41.5gr of RL16 and a 140gr eldm. I also brought out 5 rounds of an old load of H4350 and went out back and shot them at 100yds standing behind a table with a sock full of airsoft BBs for a rear squeeze bag.

Disregard the poor handwriting. They say Einstein wrote like shit too.

IMG_1854.jpeg

Last edited:
    This won’t answer your question but will give you something for comparison. This is what you can expect if you pick up a Seekins SP10. This one is in 6.5 creedmoor that I picked up used last week. I loaded 4 rounds of each 40.5gr, 41.0gr, and 41.5gr of RL16 and a 140gr eldm. I also brought out 5 rounds of an old load of H4350 and went out back and shot them at 100yds standing behind a table with a sock full of airsoft BBs for a rear squeeze bag.

Disregard the poor handwriting. They say Einstein wrote like shit too.

View attachment 8476650
    Awesome shooting! Those seekins are nice rifles!

Reactions: wade2big
    Awesome shooting! Those seekins are nice rifles!
    They are. I have more than one, or did before the boating accident. Don’t have any now 😉. I do intend to pick up a JP LRI-20 and a LMT MWS as well and probably in that order. I’m waiting on a good deal to pop up. I’m watching this thread in the meantime to see how yours turns out.

Reactions: hafejd30
    I picked up a 13.5ss lm8 upper from @SkyScrapin and had some 168smk loads that i initially had loaded for my scar. Shot about 1.25in @100 which i was thrilled with because i suck at shooting large frame ars.

I ordered a tubbs flat wire and a brt tube to help with running a suppressor. I started to have malfunctions around 200rds so I plan on keeping the bcg wet next time to see if that helps suppressed

Reactions: SkyScrapin
    Slash XH 8.5 ounce buffer and rifle spring with the 18” rifle length gas. What I’m going to try with my Omega 36M

Do you think a BRT gas tube would be needed with this setup?

I picked up a 13.5ss lm8 upper from @SkyScrapin and had some 168smk loads that i initially had loaded for my scar. Shot about 1.25in @100 which i was thrilled with because i suck at shooting large frame ars.

I ordered a tubbs flat wire and a brt tube to help with running a suppressor. I started to have malfunctions around 200rds so I plan on keeping the bcg wet next time to see if that helps suppressed

Try T308T. Its magical.

Reactions: bigfoot750
    16” chromelined 308. 20 shot group at 100 yards.

View attachment 8498119
    Damn that is crazy!

I just put a XH buffer/rifle spring in mine. Been sitting in parts for a while as I got sidetracked working on another AI.

Have my 16” CL to test but that’s just going to be some left over hunting ammo to burn up in crop damage.

Have a 18” I just put a suppressed BRT tube on and can’t wait to try that with some 175 smk. Previous owner said it’s a 1 moa gun with that so we’ll see

In the end if the results aren’t what I’m looking for I’ll be getting in contact with you. Everyone recommended you for best results. Even LMT said you’re the man for accuracy on this platform

Damn that is crazy!

I just put a XH buffer/rifle spring in mine. Been sitting in parts for a while as I got sidetracked working on another AI.

Have my 16” CL to test but that’s just going to be some left over hunting ammo to burn up in crop damage.

Have a 18” I just put a suppressed BRT tube on and can’t wait to try that with some 175 smk. Previous owner said it’s a 1 moa gun with that so we’ll see

In the end if the results aren’t what I’m looking for I’ll be getting in contact with you. Everyone recommended you for best results. Even LMT said you’re the man for accuracy on this platform
    I had a XH Carbine buffer and EA1095 spring in my MWS. The heavy buffer did help with the over gassed issues that are common with LMT MWS barrels. But it also adds a lot of reciprocating weight. You really notice it when the bolt closes.

I switched to a 0.086 BRT gas tube on my 20" LMT .308 barrel and now use a 3 oz buffer with the LMT factory MWS spring. I use the same setup when shooting the 24" LMT 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. The recoil is very light and the rifle cycles perfectly. This combination also works with a HUXWRX Flow 762 suppressor.

I had a XH Carbine buffer and EA1095 spring in my MWS. The heavy buffer did help with the over gassed issues that are common with LMT MWS barrels. But it also adds a lot of reciprocating weight. You really notice it when the bolt closes.

I switched to a 0.086 BRT gas tube on my 20" LMT .308 barrel and now use a 3 oz buffer with the LMT factory MWS spring. I use the same setup when shooting the 24" LMT 6.5 Creedmoor barrel. The recoil is very light and the rifle cycles perfectly. This combination also works with a HUXWRX Flow 762 suppressor.
    Think mines a .089 tube? Going to try it with both barrel setups and see what it does. I’ll try the stock buffer/spring as well as the XH setup and see what it does

Running Omega 36M on the 18” 308. Running no can on the 16” CL

Reactions: Ichi