• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes LMT MWS optic recommendations

ltong29

Private
Minuteman
Sep 26, 2019
Recently finished my LMT MWS and was looking for an optic recommendation.
  • What is the platform for the scope? .308 MWS with 16" Stainless Steel barrel
  • What cartridge are you shooting? .308
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Mostly target, maybe dabble into PRS
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daylight
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 0-300. There's a 1000 yard range ~2 hours away I would like the eventually visit
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like? FPP. currently using MOA for my other rifles, so I guess I would like to stay MOA. 30 or 34mm tube
  • What is the price range you can afford? ~$1000-1500
Did some rudimentary research and was considering the Bushnell Elite Tactical DMRii 3.5-21, Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30, or Vortex PST G2 5-25x. Very open to other options, but I feel like the 20-25 maximum magnification should be fine in my situation.

Recently finished my LMT MWS and was looking for an optic recommendation.
Did some rudimentary research and was considering the Bushnell Elite Tactical DMRii 3.5-21, Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30, or Vortex PST G2 5-25x. Very open to other options, but I feel like the 20-25 maximum magnification should be fine in my situation.

Are you open to buying used? If so, Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44 or Nightforce 4-16x42 ATACR in the reticle of your choice. Excellent light transmission and resolution all the way to max power, unlike lesser scopes....Plenty of these come up in the PX all the time. I own/have owned both and they are a perfect match for a large frame AR like your MWS. For higher mag, I’d look at the Vortex Razor 4.5-27x56.

Mount/Ring set is up to you but I’m partial to Bobro Badger or Nightforce.

I have both a Razor and ETR. The ETR is a great optic. Hits well above it's price.

Good to hear about the ETR. It's definitely up there on my list.

Are you open to buying used? If so, Leupold Mark 6 3-18x44 or Nightforce 4-16x42 ATACR in the reticle of your choice. Excellent light transmission and resolution all the way to max power, unlike lesser scopes....Plenty of these come up in the PX all the time. I own/have owned both and they are a perfect match for a large frame AR like your MWS. For higher mag, I’d look at the Vortex Razor 4.5-27x56.

Mount/Ring set is up to you but I’m partial to Bobro Badger or Nightforce.

Seeing as Leupold and Nightforce's warranties are transferable, I would be open to buying used. I will definitely look into those 2 options. That being said, how does the Leupold VX-6HD compare to the Mark 6? The VX-6HD seems like it's coming down in price into what I'm willing to spend

Good to hear about the ETR. It's definitely up there on my list.

Seeing as Leupold and Nightforce's warranties are transferable, I would be open to buying used. I will definitely look into those 2 options. That being said, how does the Leupold VX-6HD compare to the Mark 6? The VX-6HD seems like it's coming down in price into what I'm willing to spend

I have only looked through a VX6 once but it seemed like good glass, well made overall but beyond that, the reticle choices in the Mark 6 are much more to my liking than than what comes on the VX6 which is more of a hunting scope.

If I were you, I would buy once/cry once vs settling when it comes to scopes. keep an eye on the Optics PX. Every one of my scopes (All Schmidt Benders, Leupold Mark 6, CQBSS have come from there).

Last edited:
Great inquiry post! Since weight doesn’t seem to be a detriment I’d consider a used 5-27 razor. That optic has won more prs style matches than any other out there.

Then again a mk5 3-18, nxs f1, atacr 4-16, or dmr2 3-21 just look perfectly at home on an ar10.

it all depends n your #1 ultimate priority. Define that

I’d spend a few bucks more and get a MK5 3.6-18 Tremor 3. You can get them new in the $1700 range and used for as low as $1400 and it’s a WAAAAAAAY better optic than any of the others you’re considering.

Thanks for all the advice so far. From the feedback I'm getting, it seems like for my need, it seems like some of the higher power scopes (max magnification over 20x) seem to be overkill. The highest magnification I currently have is 12x, so I'm a little out of depth with what's a good maximum magnification. I think the NX8 2.5-20x is now a serious contender, with the Mark5HD 3.6-18x being a serious contender. My one concern with the Mark 5 is the 35mm tube diameter. Honestly, a $2000 maximum seems to be my budget. I don't know how often the ATACR's go on sale for below that. Leaning towards the NX8 over the NXS since it's a slightly newer

If you're willing to stretch to $2K, the 4-16 ATACR seems like it was made for a 308 gas gun.

I have one on my LMT 308 and am very happy with the combo. Feels like a perfect marriage in size and capability.

Why is the 35mm tube on the MK5 a concern? There are plenty of highly quality mounting options available in the correct 1.5” height for the MWS. I’m running one in a Badger COMM on my LMT SPR, and another in a Spuhr SP-5002 on my AI PSR. Geissele also makes 35mm’s as do other companies.

Why is the 35mm tube on the MK5 a concern? There are plenty of highly quality mounting options available in the correct 1.5” height for the MWS. I’m running one in a Badger COMM on my LMT SPR, and another in a Spuhr SP-5002 on my AI PSR. Geissele also makes 35mm’s as do other companies.

I'm just unfamiliar with the 35mm as a whole and unsure about who made mounts. Did a little homework and see that Geissele and ADM both make 35mm mounts, so that's less of an issue.

Leupold Mark 5 3.6-18. I don't think you will find another scope with the same features, quality and size for the price or weight. Realistically, 18x is more than sufficient for 300 yards. However, for semi-auto rifles I'm always mindful of weight, a 14+ lb semi auto doesn't interest me. I'd rather just use a bolt gun at that point. The Leupold does of a good job of keeping down (relative to most other comparable scopes).

Reactions: The DFC
I am really happy with the SB 5/20 Ultra Short. I just added a 45 degree offset Aimpoint Micro T2 for inside 100 yds. (not shown, old pic).

Rasyad
LMT 13.5 308.jpg

Reactions: Snapper314
Being in a similar position to OP, curious if people would recommend the Leupy Mk5 4-18 over Nightforce ATACR 4-16? I have an NF in the Mil-C reticle but all else equal would prefer something with a tree.

Liberty Optics has Leupold Mark 5 HDs about in your price range. 3-18 and the 5-25 a few hundy above your price range.

Thanks for all the advice! I think I'm gonna go with the Leupold Mark5HD. It seems like a great piece of hardware and a significant improvement over the Mark 6 and Mark 8.

Liberty Optics has Leupold Mark 5 HDs about in your price range. 3-18 and the 5-25 a few hundy above your price range.

I just discovered that site recently which pretty much sealed it for the Mark5HD

I fail to see the benefits of over 10x/12x for 1000yd shooting; a 16x for target ID & a little more detail, however, is legit.

I'd take FOV acquisition over 20x+ mag 8 days a week on a .308, even on a 26" barrel.

OP needs to balance eyebox & ease of use vs mag numbers.

And - "18x is more than sufficient for 300 yards" ? :ROFLMAO:

The missus smashes 2qt milk cartons all day long at 300-325 yds with a 4x german #1 atop a 7x57 Mauser.

No turrets, no hash marks, no LRF, and no smartphone ballistic app needed, either.

Last edited:
LOL... Sounds like you agree, 18x is more than sufficient for 300 yards. I'm not sure why you are confused by this.

I'm also not sure what your wife's shooting habits have to do with the OP's request for a FFP 30/34mm scope in the $1,000-$1,500 range that might used for PRS or 1000 yard shooting.

I fail to see the benefits of over 10x/12x for 1000yd shooting; a 16x for target ID & a little more detail, however, is legit.

I'd take FOV acquisition over 20x+ mag 8 days a week on a .308, even on a 26" barrel.

OP needs to balance eyebox & ease of use vs mag numbers.

And - "18x is more than sufficient for 300 yards" ? :ROFLMAO:

The missus smashes 2qt milk cartons all day long at 300-325 yds with a 4x german #1 atop a 7x57 Mauser.

No turrets, no hash marks, no LRF, and no smartphone ballistic app needed, either.

None of this is relevant to this thread. Cool story though.

LOL... Sounds like you agree, 18x is more than sufficient for 300 yards. I'm not sure why you are confused by this.

I'm also not sure what your wife's shooting habits have to do with the OP's request for a FFP 30/34mm scope in the $1,000-$1,500 range that might used for PRS or 1000 yard shooting.

It is a giant lol-that and homey suggesting a S&B shorty $4k scope :ROFLMAO:

There's a real reading comprehension problem on this site-especially in this forum it seams.

Reactions: Thorbeast
Cute.

I guess the fact that the majority of his time is spent at 300yds was missed; I made an analogy to show how 18x isn't "needed" or "sufficient" at 300 yards.

But who am I to disagree with someone who has "beast" in his user name...

Last edited:
It would "seam" so ;)

Hard for me to read on a phone.

I need 18x reading glasses with Schott lenses.

Yes, I chuckled at that post about the $4k scope as well.

It is a giant lol-that and homey suggesting a S&B shorty $4k scope :ROFLMAO:

There's a real reading comprehension problem on this site-especially in this forum it seams.

Last edited:
One last question, this time regarding mounts. Currently, I'm looking at 3 mounts, the Spuhr SP-5602 (1.5", 20.6 MOA cant), SP-5601 (1.18", 20.6MOA) or the Badger C1 1.5" 20MOA mount. Is the height difference 1.18" vs 1.5' more personal preference or is there an advantage to running a lower scope mount? I'm assuming since the only 35mm scope in existence are the Mark5HD series and since I have the smallest one (3.6-18x) that the height won't dictate the scope clearance unlike some of the larger ones. Also, how big of a deal is the 20MOA cant on a .308 rifle? I understand the usefulness on longer range platforms but I'm unsure of how much utilization I would get out of it.