• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Load Development in winter

DrainTheSwamp

Private
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2018
Midwest
I need to work a new load before a prs match in April due to a primer change. I know the over pressure dangers of running a winter worked load in the summer and I know that in 80° temps 42.2 is as hot as I wanna run of IMR 4451 and S&B primers but I can’t find any more and I gota switch to fed 210m. I wanna get close to my same node which was 41.4 with my s&b’s but my main question is if I work a load in 20° Temps is there a chance of slipping off that node in 80-100° temps. Anyone got any advice? Thanks in advance.

Keep your ammo warm-ish for your testing. Leave it in the house before you go shooting, keep it wrapped up and in the box wrapped in a coat, or in your car or a in cooler with a hot hands and a thermometer.

Doesn't matter if the outside temp is 20 degrees as long as your ammo is 75-80 degrees and that's the temp you plan to shoot in.

Chrono both hot and cold ammo to see the difference, the node should primarily be speed based. If it shoots at 2825fps in 20 degree temps, it should shoot at ~2825fps in warmer temps, but with slightly less powder.

i have a friend who lives in the northern frozen tundra who puts hand warmers in his bag with his ammo and is also known to use a heating pad to keep it warm while shooting in the cold.

Ya 4451 sucks in my opinion. Out a 24 inch pipe I’m only getting 2636 FPS, but’s its easy to find, and hopefully a 26 inch pipe will get me up to the 2700’s. Shooting a 6.5 creedmoor as well and it’s proved to be very accurate

Ya 4451 sucks in my opinion. Out a 24 inch pipe I’m only getting 2636 FPS, but’s its easy to find, and hopefully a 26 inch pipe will get me up to the 2700’s. Shooting a 6.5 creedmoor as well and it’s proved to be very accurate

That is why I was using 4451 in my 260, it was easy to get. I was only getting 2640 out of a 20" suppressed, but it was consistent. I like Re16 better than H4350 now.