Loading 6.5CM in Hornady brass

krw

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2004
Arkansas
I recently bought a set Redding 6.5CM dies and some 1x fired Hornady brass. Neck diam is 0.295”. After FL resizing neck diam is 0.289”. After you seat bullet (Hornady Amax) neck diam is 0.289”.
Basically this is -0- neck tension. I have some Type S dies and try to run 0.0025-0.003” neck tension

Cood there be an issue with way the die was ground?

How much neck tension are you getting w Hornady brass?
Thanks!!

I recently bought a set Redding 6.5CM dies and some 1x fired Hornady brass. Neck diam is 0.295”. After FL resizing neck diam is 0.289”. After you seat bullet (Hornady Amax) neck diam is 0.289”.
Basically this is -0- neck tension. I have some Type S dies and try to run 0.0025-0.003” neck tension

Cood there be an issue with way the die was ground?

How much neck tension are you getting w Hornady brass?
Thanks!!
I use a Forster FL sizing die and it sizes my Hornady case necks down to an OD of .289" also. I then run an mandrel through the necks for sizing and then that OD is .2915. The necks have been turned to .014", therefore my "neck tension" is at .0015.

Originally, my Hornady case necks were .015" in thickness on average (you know, there's variances around the circumferences). If your Hornady brass has that thickness, then an OD of .294 of a seated bullet would be -0- "neck tension". Having a seated bullet with a case neck OD of .289 means the neck thickness is at .0125". . .???? o_O That just doesn't sound right to me. . .unless you've turned the necks down to that.

I have not turned the necks. And quite sure I cood press ammo against bench and press bullet into case. Very little resistence when I seat a bullet

I have never understood why people think they can measure the O.D. of a neck and have that tell them in any accurate and precise way what the I.D. is.

Yes, it’s indicative…but it’s a second order measurement subject to a lot of variation and hence error.

A set of pin gauges is not that expensive. Vermont Gauge are reasonably priced and can be bought from Travers