• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Loads 178 BTHP vs 178 ELD-M vs 175 RDF

BlackFenix

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2017
Central Texas
I am currently shooting Hornady 178 BTHP with 43.9 grains of Varget. However, I am moving to 178 ELD-M and 175 RDF. I will work up a load for each but I wanted to see how other peoples load changed with Varget when moving from 178 BTHP to these new bullets.

I use IMR 4895 at a 42.0 charge but I can interchange the 178 bthp and the 178 ELD-M with virtually no differences. Just shot both at 600 today and there may have been a .1 - .3 mill difference in windage with the ELD-M. Haven't been able to find any RDF's in stock yet.

Not sure what you are shooting these from but in my gasser I was using 178AMAX,Hornady178bthp and ELDx. 42.5 Varget. Then I found those RDFs...love em.
I load Federal brass primed with Fed 210primers, 43.1g Varget under the Nosler175RDF...2570fps from a 18.5" RCB 5R. (900'msl 40degrees-Magnetospeed clocked) Loaded to 2.160 ogive OAL
Bottom group is New Hornady Match brass I was comparing that day. The top group is Federal. 4 rounds and 1 flyer the edge barely visible at the top of target.

Attachments

• photo50711.jpg
    photo50711.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: Billiam1211
Not sure what you are shooting these from but in my gasser I was using 178AMAX,Hornady178bthp and ELDx. 42.5 Varget. Then I found those RDFs...love em.
I load Federal brass primed with Fed 210primers, 43.1g Varget under the Nosler175RDF...2570fps from a 18.5" RCB 5R. (900'msl 40degrees-Magnetospeed clocked) Loaded to 2.160 ogive OAL
Bottom group is New Hornady Match brass I was comparing that day. The top group is Federal. 4 rounds and 1 flyer the edge barely visible at the top of target.

I am shooting them out of a 22" Savage bolt. Sounds like 178 Amax, bthp, and ELD are swappable. For your RDFs, were you using the same brass and primer as you 178 Amax, bthp, and ELDs? Seems like quite a little jump for 178 in 42.5g to RDF 43.1. Thanks for the info!

Mostly used Federal in the 178s. I had picked up some Norma brass to try and the RDFs came along about the same time. So I initially used new Norma brass when I stumbled on to this load. But I was happy to see Federal likes it as well. (which is good because I have more of it). The new Norma brass worked great, but after resizing, I couldn't reproduce the same results. Still trying to sleuth that one. They were resized with the same die as the Federal.

I am shooting them out of a 22" Savage bolt. Sounds like 178 Amax, bthp, and ELD are swappable. For your RDFs, were you using the same brass and primer as you 178 Amax, bthp, and ELDs? Seems like quite a little jump for 178 in 42.5g to RDF 43.1. Thanks for the info!
43.9? Figures...I thought I was approaching another accuracy node when I stopped ad 43.5 due to flattening primers etc. Just didn't want to take the chance on beating up the gun.

BlackFenix, i was wondering if you ever got those loads worked up on the 178 eldm and the 175 rdf as i am trying to decide between the two. also does anyone think 2000mr would be a good powder out of a 20 inch barrel for thees two

BlackFenix, i was wondering if you ever got those loads worked up on the 178 eldm and the 175 rdf as i am trying to decide between the two. also does anyone think 2000mr would be a good powder out of a 20 inch barrel for thees two

I haven't been able to get to the range yet. Hopefully in a couple of weeks then I can report back what I find. I am thinking do doing OCW and working forward from there.

Should get you a bump in velocity with similar pressure, but won't know till ya try it in your rifle.

I love the 2000MR in my Rem 5R (24"), but it is a little more temp sensitive than Varget. I use more of it than varget for a 175, almost 3 gr, but I get about 100 more fps out of it and have it pretty accurate at about 2750fps. On initial testing I got them over 2800 without issues, but the accuracy wasn't there. For 175 SMK and Berger 185 Juggs, is gangbusters for my setup.