Lone Peak Arms Bolt wear

fschneider1509

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2024
Germany
Hi guys,

I got a question for the hide - I got a new Lone Peak Arms Fuzion action with a Bartlein barrel. Yesterday I installed the action in an also new McMillan A3-5 stock with a new Hawkins Precision M5 DBM.

The rifle is chambered in 6mm BR Norma.

After everything has been assembled I wanted to test the correct feeding out of a new MDT 6BR 10 round magazine. Therefore I used two dummy rounds and cycled the bolt multiple times with those rounds. Feeding was without any issues - so far so good…

Afterwards I took out the bolt to do a final clean and recognised that the bolt has now some wear on it (see pictures). It seems that the after pushing the first round into the chamber the second one in the magazine is pushed onto the bolt body which causes one long scratch on the bolt. For your info: I’m running the bolt dry.

Does anyone of you have know this is issue? Is this normal or what is the cause? Spring pressure of the magazine? Length of the action screws? Length of the DBM latch?

How do I prevent this?

Thank you very much for your help!

Kind regards

Fabian

Attachments

• IMG_5260.jpeg
    IMG_5260.jpeg
    477.9 KB · Views: 130
AFAIK, when you extract the round, the next round is in the top of the mag. you basically back over the top round during the extract/eject phase of the bolt throw. Running dry will increase this friction, and leave to more marking on the bolt. But some of it is the geomert of the mag, cartridge design, and action/ bolt design etc. DLC treatments also tends to wear and show friction since they are thin by spec. They don't wear off per-se, but they look worn relativey faster than some other treatments, if that makes any sense.

Reactions: fschneider1509
There is no prevention. It's a used gun now. Shoot it, it will wear. Just like your car, it's only new once. Enjoy it, build your skill and don't sweat the small stuff

You’ll appreciate the bolt wear when you see how smooth that girls gonna run in a cpl thousand rounds. 😀

When I clean I’ll spray the bolt down with one shot and once dry wipe it off lightly. Only grease back of lugs and small dab on FP cocking ramp.

You don’t want heavy grease or lubricant on bolt as it’ll transfer onto case body as well as collect debris.

I clean and lube the bolt with Hornaday One Shot "Gun Cleaner and Lube". Not the Case Lube. I then lube the back of the lugs with Geissele ALG Go-Juice 0000 Very Thin Grease.

Not sure it will stop the light scratching you're seeing but it works good for me.