Long range hunting build in the works, plz help!

Nomad909

Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2017
I have a r700 long action, was a 300rum so its a magnum face, and its time now to rebarrel it.

Accuracy ordinance is going to spin up this project for me and I need a little help on cartridge selection. I've done a ton of research but I know there's plenty of knowledgeable people on here that surpass me so I am seeking anyone's educated opinion.

Things to consider:

I have a mcree XL chassis for it as well as cip 3.850 mags(I believe they were for a .338 lapua). Therefore I want it to be magazine fed and not top loaded.

This will be for extreme long range hunting but weight/barrel length is not a consideration, due to my hunting area and accessibility. Looking at a 30" rock creek tube. I want the best wind cheater I can build.

I'm hunting mostly elk, mule deer, pig, bear and speed goats. Long shots are the norm, long being 70

Calibers I've considered but again, open to all opinions!
-338 edge
-28 nosler
-7mm lrh
-30 nosler
-300 Norma
-7mm saum (loaded very long)

I look forward to your responses!

You could stay with 300rum if you already have brass and load the Hornady 225 ELD's.
But out of your list of calibers, 28 Nosler with twist rate to shoot the Berger 195 EOL would be my pick.

Mine as well, I was going to have Ryan Pierce do it but he no longer works with trued actions, only custom... to you have any experience with the 28 nosler at mag length?

Mine as well, I was going to have Ryan Pierce do it but he no longer works with trued actions, only custom... to you have any experience with the 28 nosler at mag length?

You can have your 700 action cut to fit CIP bottom metal, then you will have more than enough room for the 195's.
You can also have Wyatts extended bottom metal put in if you don't want a detachable mag.

I appreciate the input. I was thinking going 338 edge but everything I read says that even cip mags aren't long enough... does anyone have any 2cents on 28nosler vs 300rum? Alot of people here out west say "there's no replacement for displacement"

For hunting - with your bolt face you have - 300 win mag , 190 berger VLD , that way if you ever have a ammo issue you can easily find some in a hurry
But hell I hunt with a 300 Norma so what do I know

For hunting - with your bolt face you have - 300 win mag , 190 berger VLD , that way if you ever have a ammo issue you can easily find some in a hurry
But hell I hunt with a 300 Norma so what do I know

I'm a reloader through and through so I don't really see that ever being an issue.. if I needed ammo that bad in a pinch I'd just use another gun lol

338 Edge is a serious badass with 30" of barrel, but with the 300 grain bullets is probably a single feed affair. If you get the chamber built just right and the long magazines you might make it work out as a repeater.

338 Edge is a serious badass with 30" of barrel, but with the 300 grain bullets is probably a single feed affair. If you get the chamber built just right and the long magazines you might make it work out as a repeater.

Using a CIP length magazine would help but it still is way too short for loading a 300 gr Berger. IMO - For the wide range of critters he will be hunting, and the desire to still use a drop magazine I think the .30 cal would be the best choice. That would pretty much narrow it down to a .300 WM or 30 Nosler in my book.

If big elk weren't in the picture then the 28 Nosler or 7mm STW would be my first choice for mule deer on down..... Not saying that the 7mm isn't sufficient to take an elk but they aren't the proven hammers that a good 30 or 338 are.

Reactions: Nomad909
I guess I thought by your post that you may be hunting several different states , and I figured you may be flying. For that reason I suggested the 300 win mag. I reload too and hunt close to home with my gee wiz shit ... but a wise old man once told me ..never- never hunt away from home with any cartridge other than 300 win mag in the states and 375 h&H outside the USA.

With your requirements (mag fed, magnum bolt face, 700 yards, wind beater), personally I would go 28 Nosler. With a 195 at 3100+, it will have the best wind performance of anything on the list, even beating the 300 grain 338s. It hits plenty hard for elk too.

Thoughts on the chamberings you listed:

-338 edge - won't fit in a CIP mag at optimal COAL with 300s
-28 nosler - absolute beast with 195s
-7mm lrh - Hornady brass sucks, 28 Nosler is quite a bit faster
-30 nosler - 215 Berger at 3000+ is a ton of performance, but 28/195 will still have better wind performance
-300 Norma - would be my first choice (actually, 300NM Improved would be #1), but requires Lapua bolt face
-7mm saum - pretty big step down in energy at 700 yards from everything else on the list, although still plenty capable

With your requirements (mag fed, magnum bolt face, 700 yards, wind beater), personally I would go 28 Nosler. With a 195 at 3100+, it will have the best wind performance of anything on the list, even beating the 300 grain 338s. It hits plenty hard for elk too.

Remember the OP said he would be shooting at around 700 yards max. The 195 was designed for large game at a 1000 yards. Along with it's higher BC numbers comes a higher SD and that can create it's own set of problems. Bullet placement is of course the most important aspect of hunting but the terminal (killing) performance of the bullet is important too and while the 195 has better external ballistic stats it has a less than stellar reputation for quick kills. The 180 VLD's will kill an elk just as dead as the 195 @ 700 yards and the 180's will work better on smaller game...IMO.... All a 195 will give you is more range if you can push it hard enough. The .30 cal 215 Berger has a proven record with professional hunters and guides on elk and mule deer.

Sometimes we all get lost with the looking at all the stats but one should also seriously consider the advise of lifelong hunters that have filled their freezer with game meat for the several decades before picking a cartridge/bullet choice just by the numbers alone.

That is why when choosing my new elk/mule deer gun I chose a 30 Norma Mag and not a 28 Nosler.

I stand by my recommendation. You have your opinion, I have mine (it is based on experience hunting in CO, not stats). You damn well better believe a Berger 195 at 28 Nosler velocities will kill an elk. Will it kill it as quickly or cleanly as a 300 or 338? Maybe not, but it will absolutely kill an elk with authority if you hit your mark.

FWIW, my personal dedicated elk rifle is a 338 Norma Improved pushing 300 Bergers at 2900. But we already established the OP has to work within the constraints of a 0.550 bolt face.

I stand by my recommendation. You have your opinion, I have mine (it is based on experience hunting in CO, not stats). You damn well better believe a Berger 195 at 28 Nosler velocities will kill an elk. Will it kill it as quickly or cleanly as a 300 or 338? Maybe not, but it will absolutely kill an elk with authority if you hit your mark.

FWIW, my personal dedicated elk rifle is a 338 Norma Improved pushing 300 Bergers at 2900. But we already established the OP has to work within the constraints of a 0.550 bolt face.

Whoa!! Actually, I agree with you but just feel that the 195 doesn't seem necessary for a 700 yard limit. If the OP had said 1000 + yards then I would pick the 195/28 Nosler combo given his magnum bolt face and magazine limits.

What makes this thread so hard offering advice is that the OP seems to want one rifle to cover such a broad spectrum of game size. IMO- My personal advice is if the majority of his hunting will be medium to small game then the 7mm would be a better choice. If he leans towards taking larger game then the 30 would be better.
Either way, as you said, "if you hit the mark" your all good.

Here is one y'll ,

Finally I found a bullet hole back of the right jaw and it came out of the top of his nose. That was the shot I’d hit him with out at 600 yards.. Keith (With a .44 magnum revolver)

I'm not saying i would try that..:D

Great info so far really appreciate it everyone!

To clear up some confusion, the target ranges: 700m is average but we spot and stock from 2k out so it's a matter of getting into a comfortable range. My old 300rum with the amount of data I had, 800m and under was slam dunk. I'd like to stretch that range out farther.

However, it's a very punishing caliber especially in the lighter weight configuration I had it in.

So now I'm not concerned with weight in the rifle at all. Pretty stuck on a 30" tube. I'd really prefer to have it mag fed for hunting and follow up shots..

in a perfect world I'd do a 338edge +P but I have a rebarrel cert for accuracy ordinance and that caliber is specific to defensive edge.

I've been in contact with Mark at accuracy ordinance and very been working out chamber specs of a 28 nosler with 195s. Seems like the best performance when I ran numbers. Many also recommended the hornady 180 eldm, including gunwerks.. not 100% why. I've heard very little about the 197smks

Reactions: wildcats
I have shot some very small groups with Sierra 197s out of my 28 Nosler. It's a wicked target projectile. However I am not comfortable hunting with it given the tiny meplat. For ELR target shooting though it's really tough to beat.