• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Long Range Hunting Suppressor

How light, how long, are you looking for maximum suppression, or all-around performance (length, weight, suppression, etc...)?

If you want a great hunting can that's super light and only 7" long, that will give exceptional performance, the new Thunderbeast Magnus-S HUB or Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S 7.62 will be 2 of the best options on the market.

If you aren't worried about length (9" cans) and want maximum suppression and performance, then the ThunderBeast Magnus HUB, and Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L 7.62 are both amazing options. Despite them having a few QC issues a while back, none of my Dead Air cans have given me any issues, and my Nomad-LT has been an exceptional can that has held it's own right there with my full-size Magnus HUB and Hydro-L. So, any of those 3 and you can't really go wrong, IMO.

How light, how long, are you looking for maximum suppression, or all-around performance (length, weight, suppression, etc...)?

If you want a great hunting can that's super light and only 7" long, that will give exceptional performance, the new Thunderbeast Magnus-S HUB or Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S 7.62 will be 2 of the best options on the market.

If you aren't worried about length (9" cans) and want maximum suppression and performance, then the ThunderBeast Magnus HUB, and Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L 7.62 are both amazing options. Despite them having a few QC issues a while back, none of my Dead Air cans have given me any issues, and my Nomad-LT has been an exceptional can that has held it's own right there with my full-size Magnus HUB and Hydro-L. So, any of those 3 and you can't really go wrong, IMO.
I’d like to keep it around 7” and a little on the lighter side due to harmonics. I’ve honestly been looking at the Thunder Beast 7 ultra if I can find one. (Any hands on experience compared to your Magnus?) However my local shop has a Sandman S in stock but I’ve heard mixed reviews on Dead Air as of recent. They also have the Hux Works Flow 7.62 and the Aero Lahar 30 which I’ve heard good things about but also on the heavy side.

Looking at picking up a new 30 cal suppressor to use on my long range hunting rigs 6.5PR up to my 300 Ultra Mag. I currently have a couple but they’re on the heavier side. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thunderbeast Ulta. Check the PRS stats, alot of competitors use them. They were designed with precision rifle in mind. Very repeatable and light weight.

This.
Without knowing your specific hunting style and needs (steep backpack hunts in mts in the Rockies, or flat lands to the east) and you're still looking for something lighter and shorter that will be a strictly hunting only can, the TBAC Ultra 5 will serve you well. I hunt all the western states, and the Ultra 5 on my 16.5" 6 CM Carbon everything is the perfect backpack companion.

I’d like to keep it around 7” and a little on the lighter side due to harmonics. I’ve honestly been looking at the Thunder Beast 7 ultra if I can find one. (Any hands on experience compared to your Magnus?) However my local shop has a Sandman S in stock but I’ve heard mixed reviews on Dead Air as of recent. They also have the Hux Works Flow 7.62 and the Aero Lahar 30 which I’ve heard good things about but also on the heavy side.
Yes. The Magnus-S will beat the Ultra 7...Hands-down...No contest. Magnus-S has a much larger diameter and internal volume, even though they're the same length. Get the Magnus-S HUB. You can order straight from ThunderBeast's website and have it shipped to your local dealer. Contact @Zak Smith with TBAC and he can get you squared away, or contact Bauer Precision or Black Ankle Munitions about the OCL Hydro-S 7.62. They both actually have one in stock...Which is pretty rare these days with the demand for the OCL cans skyrocketing. 👍🏼

I have 2 Sandman-S cans... They are good for what they are, which is very heavy duty machine gun cans. So, they are heavy and not very quiet at all. Do not get one, if you want lightweight and quiet...You'll be extremely disappointed. Plus, they run KeyMo mount ONLY, and a KeyMo muzzle brake is fairly heavy, as well, as the can itself... It's just a bad idea all the way around for what you're describing you want.

HUXWORX (or FUXWORX as I call them), are also not very quiet, and are very heavy. Not ideal for your needs either.

Aero Lahar is a fairly heavy can, as well, but I hear it's a decently quiet can, no personal experience with one though... Just what i hear on the forum chatter.

Your best bet would be the Magnus-S HUB or Otter Creek Hydrogen-S 7.62. Both are ridiculously lightweight, precision-built cans for minimal POI shift, are super quiet for their size. They are 2 of the quietest 7" cans on the market (tested by unbiased multiple parties). Both have an amazing warranty, and build amazing products, and stand behind them. Lifetime warranties on both.

Thunder Beast Ultra 7

With the hassle of buying cans, I think of “buying the company” not just the can.

Ultra 7 is a titanium can made right here in free Wyoming by some of the greatest folks you’ll ever meet. Their customer service and warranty set’s the bar. They also “site supporters” right here on the Hide.

I use the Thunder Beast Ultra 7 for hunting and for me it’s a no-brainer. It’s plenty light enough, plenty quiet enough.

Everyone has their favorites and reasons. These are just mine.

The Ultra 7 is our most popular hunting can, period. On most modern hunting calibers, e.g. up to a little smaller than 300 Win Mag, it is quiet enough, and it is very small and light. If you are regularly shooting 300 Win Mag or larger -- OR you have an unusually short magnum barrel -- I would step to the Magnus-S or even Magnus. For calibration, I shoot an Ultra 7 on a 300 WSM and find it easily quiet enough for hunting. Last time my spotters (who were a ways back at the truck) didn't even know I'd shot until they saw the blood splash.

If you are shooting 300 RUM or similar from a lightweight hunting rifle, you might consider the RR version of the Magnus-K or Magnus-S-- these inherently reduce recoil due to the external brake, usually about 2.5x more recoil reduction than a normal suppressor, at the expense of a few dB's (details on web site)

Thunder Beast Ultra 7

With the hassle of buying cans, I think of “buying the company” not just the can.

Ultra 7 is a titanium can made right here in free Wyoming by some of the greatest folks you’ll ever meet. Their customer service and warranty set’s the bar. They also “site supporters” right here on the Hide.

I use the Thunder Beast Ultra 7 for hunting and for me it’s a no-brainer. It’s plenty light enough, plenty quiet enough.

Everyone has their favorites and reasons. These are just mine.
I have to agree with everything and the part about " buying into the company" is very true.
You can't go wrong with Thunderbeast Arms no matter which silencer you choose. I've never had a problem nor met anyone that has had a problem with anything TBA offers, but I do know they are a great company to deal with and if you ever had a problem I believe you couldn't find anyone that would work harder for a remedy.
I own silencers from Thunderbeast, SilencerCo, and Deadair. They all make great products but for the use you stated above TBA is your answer.

Deadair nomad ti and sico sythe are options as well. Sythe is pretty popular in that space. I've got a steel nomad that has been great for a few years. Probably get a couple of the TI or TI XC before too long.