Long range near Virginia Beach, VA

Re: Long range near Virginia Beach, VA

Short of knowing someone at Blackwater (or whatever they are called these days) or someone with a private range I think you are out of luck. The best I have found is C2's 300 yd range.

There is definitely a business opportunity for some enterprising sole.

It has amazed me that with all of the land available, no one has founded a class A long range club around here.

I don't know what they call the company who owns it now -- Blackwater/Xe/Academi/US Training Center in Moyock has a KD range they would occasionally use for matches.

Otherwise you'll have to travel to Butner, NC; Quantico; or Bridgeville, Delaware.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't know what they call the company who owns it now -- Blackwater/Xe/Academi/US Training Center in Moyock has a KD range they would occasionally use for matches.

Otherwise you'll have to travel to Butner, NC; Quantico; or Bridgeville, Delaware.
</div></div>

I have not seen Academi (the facility formerly known as Blackwater) open for any long range shooting. It would make sense that they do them, but I don't even know where they would advertise it. I have participated in USPSA and 3-Gun matches there, but you have to be on an access list. You can't just show up and shoot.

What about Butner and Quantico, is there a place you can just show up and shoot? Or, are you talking about on base?

Both (Camp Butner and Quantico) are open for matches (you don't have to be a member to shoot in competition) -- but you will have to generally know your drops and zeros before shooting. There is no plain "I've come to recreation fire" check-in with a clerk or range attendant for free-form shooting.

Long range and highpower season practice and competition generally start up again in the spring (April-May).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mschloss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Short of knowing someone at Blackwater (or whatever they are called these days) or someone with a private range I think you are out of luck. The best I have found is C2's 300 yd range.

There is definitely a business opportunity for some enterprising sole.

It has amazed me that with all of the land available, no one has founded a class A long range club around here. </div></div>

I shoot at C2 now, but am really looking for something further. There is a ton of land available here. I have shot at Academi (Blackwater) once before but they are open only for matches. I am looking to go somewhere to get some experience not in matches.

Ill have to look into Quantico, it isnt too far, but I am unsure if I can just go there and shoot without being in a match.

Quantico allows and offers civilian membership at the Rod and Gun Club. Their recreation fire rifle range goes to 300 yards, but I'm not sure whether or not they allow other than paper targets.

I belonged to a hunting club on the eastern shore across the bridge, but even there our farthest shots were only around 300-400 yards.

If you know any farmers there are a few places around Suffolk and Surrey that have reach, but I've been gone from the Tidewater for a number of years now.