• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Long range "Old Fart" .... just joined up.

Bubba8710

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2024
Denton Texas
Morning guys. Just joined. North Texas shooter. Have read content of the forum for a few years so finally decided to jump in. Started long range (800 to 1 mile) about 3 years ago. Stopped hunting about 10 years ago. Body parts wearing out.... knees, etc. ... so thought I was stuck with putting holes in paper with my Win Model 70 .270 out to 100 yards. Guys at a local range told me about a range that went out to 800 yards. Thought I'd give it a try. Quickly found out I needed another barrel, stock, optics to get the job done. Put a Krieger 26" on my model 70 (I know, should have gone with a Rem 700 build in hindsight) with a Vortex Stike Eagle and a HS tactical stock. After two years shooting my .270 long range (even out to a mile) I thought I'd go full bore and get me a chassis rig. After looking around for a while, I ended up talking with Phil Cashin and Woody Satayabut of "Masterpiece Arms". Great guys. I went with a Matrix Pro 6.5 Creedmoor (easy to find reloading components except primers for a while), stuck a "Silencer Central" Banish 30 on it and haven't looked back (attached). Guys at MPA were great and so is the gun. I put a 1.25" straight barrel on the thing when I got it. Their claim about 3/8" groups isn't wrong. Actually shoots better than that. Now however, I'm looking at going with a Bartlein M24 to cut back on weight. My gun shoots great, but picking up 24 pounds every time I move position isn't as easy as it used to be. I plan on hitting KM Shooting complex out in TN in the spring. Place looks like a Disneyland for long range guys with 12 different ranges (plus moving targets at long range) so I can't wait. With my 70-year old body parts, I'm afraid PRS isn't in my future. Hell, it takes me almost 90 seconds just to stand up let alone send rounds down range from 4 different stages, but shooting long range prone has been lots of fun. Also makes reloading more challenging to find the right load recipe to get SD / ES down and consistent. One of our Texas range's goes out to a mile and has something they call the "Bellyflop" competition. Shooting is done prone with 4 target ranges used for the day from 500 to 1500 yards. You choose the size of targets at each of the 4 distances for points. $35 buy-in for the pot. Haven't worked up the nerve to try it yet, but it's about the only competition I'm good for since you can do it prone. Still, looking forward to doing a private, 3-day class at KM in the spring after I get a new M24 on my gun. So that's my intro story. Look forward to enjoying all the content you guys contribute on related topics. Seems like every time I ask Google a shooting question this forum is always the top 3 or 4 links to appear.

Attachments

• Matrix Pro.jpg
    Matrix Pro.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 10
Reactions: BLEE and CSTactical