Long range shooting

rhaynes67

Private
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2014
I would like to here recommendations for long Range Shooting out to 1000 yards with a Browning Safari Bar Mark II chambered for the 338 Winchester Magnum with a Nikon 4-12X50 Buckmasters scope with a Kenton elevation turret ballistically matched for the 338 WM. I hunt in Wyoming and sometimes need to make long range shots. I would probably never take a shot past 500 yards, but I would like to know the performance of this rifle out to 1000 yards against elk, mule deer, etc. I have just recently bought this rifle and have not hunted with it yet. I know the Lapua is good out to 1000 yards, but it is daylight and dark between these two rounds. Thanks!

Not a very good choice for those distances. Your BC is too low to make it feasible. You could probably hit a barn with your limited scope power but biggest problem is your rifle probably shoots at best 1 MOA where most long range rigs are more like .2 to .5 moa. i don't think you can get there from here. I shoot 30 caliber pills in the same case and they are compatible with a .300 Win Mag and are just fine at 1000 yes and even 1300 yes with accuracy.

Shooting at 1000 and beyond doesn't work very well for an afterthought.

Not a very good choice for those distances. Your BC is too low to make it feasible. You could probably hit a barn with your limited scope power but biggest problem is your rifle probably shoots at best 1 MOA where most long range rigs are more like .2 to .5 moa. i don't think you can get there from here. I shoot 30 caliber pills in the same case and they are compatible with a .300 Win Mag and are just fine at 1000 yes and even 1300 yes with accuracy.

Shooting at 1000 and beyond doesn't work very well for an afterthought.

Thanks! I would never shoot an animal at 1000 yards, just trying to see the performance of this rifle. I would however target shoot at that range. I have other rifles that will shoot that far. I bought this one on a spur of the moment, because it was a really good deal for about half of what the rifle is worth. I appreciate your input!