• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

long range targets

ashland

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2009
MS
Guys this has probably been discussed but I can't find it. I'm looking for target ideas for ranges out to 1,500 yards. Something that may have a visible indicator of an impact location. My thoughts were hanging clay pigeons close together on small nails that were in a 4'x4' sheet of plywood. Any information or ideas would be appreciated.

Re: long range targets

Easy to see the hits on steel
IMG_0107.jpg

kanespringswithwerner020.jpg

kanespringstrip024.jpg

177-7702_IMG.jpg

Thanks guys. I've seen that sawhorse target the reaction of the impact was instantly visible. I've got a gong but wanted something different. I'll check out these other targets you all are talking about and see what will work.

Thank you.

My wife gets me 15" and 20" blind flanges. They are round and used to test oilfield pipe. We pick them up used for a little bit of nothing. As an examp. I just picked up four 20" x1" last week all 4 for $50. They run 3/4" thick to an 1" or so thick. They are in most cases, pre drilled around the edges so I just paint them white and hang them with chain and a 5/8ths or 3/4 bolt and nut. It works great and the best part is, its cheap! You can get them at most salvage's.

I have not seen it mentioned, The guy I shoot with has made pressure sensors that are tapped to the back of the target and lines run to a cheap filler flash for photography. The flash goes off when the target is hit.

I believe he made them from a "project box" form radio shack. Shim stock and a switch. When it's hit the shim stock hits the switch and makes the connection to fire the flash.

It makes seeing hits easy well past a 1000. Sometimes you just can not hear a hit due to wind. It also pretty cool to see the flash and then wait for the DONG of the hit.

I can not find the flash units right now, but if intrested I will contact my shooting buddy.

Good idea's. I like the flashing light idea. I have a hard time hearing the hits due to wind too. My shooting buddy is an engineer so I'll let him build it.

Thanks for the idea's.