Longest confirmed sniper shot?

Strange, I posted up, now made private...

Yep, it was a c&d issued by cansofcom and the dnd for supposed "opsec" reasons

This forum is pretty dead so i'll summarize some of the stuff he mentioned in the podcast which was not public knowledge before.

1) It was a simul shot from 2 snipers, nobody knows who fired the actual shot that landed
2) they trained at accuracy 1st, Dallas mentions that the stuff they learned here was incredible, Ive absorbed a lot of the lessons Todd Hodnetts mapgul, long range precision rifle video from years ago. I am not the least surprised they were doing world record shots with these teachings
3) they used tacom charlies during training

Yep, it was a c&d issued by cansofcom and the dnd for supposed "opsec" reasons

This forum is pretty dead so i'll summarize some of the stuff he mentioned in the podcast which was not public knowledge before.

1) It was a simul shot from 2 snipers, nobody knows who fired the actual shot that landed
2) they trained at accuracy 1st, Dallas mentions that the stuff they learned here was incredible, Ive absorbed a lot of the lessons Todd Hodnetts mapgul, long range precision rifle video from years ago. I am not the least surprised they were doing world record shots with these teachings
3) they used tacom charlies during training
It also took something like 50 shots. Nothing and I mean nothing Todd hodnett teaches is original or some secret sniper voodoo. He’s just a good salesman is all.

Reactions: LastShot300
It also took something like 50 shots. Nothing and I mean nothing Todd hodnett teaches is original or some secret sniper voodoo. He’s just a good salesman is all.
Nobody said it was, to either of your two assertions

Those guys were in an OP for days if not weeks taking shots at militants, it was in fact a first round hit at 3450m, with two snipers shooting at the same time, one hit and other .5 mil off on windage. They also got a near what double kill on a 4 stack of dudes on a different day

Actually hitting someone wasn't even their primary goal

Good job trying to minimize a tier 1 units accomplishments though, A+ attempt

Edit: Listen to the podcast, updated details

Last edited:
OK, so that nobody else here offends the OP, OP please tell us the purpose of your post. Is it cheering on troops or proving a concept or documenting something realistic and repeatable or documenting a one-off. Please tell - We don't want to offend you by assuming the wrong purpose and having you twist it around to insinuating we're insulting troops in the field.

OK, so that nobody else here offends the OP, OP please tell us the purpose of your post. Is it cheering on troops or proving a concept or documenting something realistic and repeatable or documenting a one-off. Please tell - We don't want to offend you by assuming the wrong purpose and having you twist it around to insinuating we're insulting troops in the field.
@secondofangle2 - not offended, just posted to ask if, as you said, it was "documenting something realistic and repeatable versus a one-off."

To me, there seems an extension of the workable range given current technologies for the rifleman and a target, within which, it is not as much of a guess (wind, environmentals, etc.) as it is beyond a certain range. ELR competitions like Kof2M show realistic first round hit ranges to be, consistently and repeatedly, at a mile (1609m/1760yd) with probabilities seemingly dropping off exponentially as most competitors take on farther ranges. I have just always wondered, given training and due respect for wind reading capabilities for a given area, what is current day 'consistent' first round hit range. Hence my citing these videos of Dallas and his team who had over 50+ days surveying, ranging, and studying the same area, day in and day out, for shots out to 3540m. I understand the primary mission was surveillance with the added benefit of landing some impressive hits on baddies when probabilities were in their favor, even if took 50+ shots with appropriate equipment to do it.

@chanrobi - thanks for the background on the events in the videos which I found strange YT or the video owners pulled down after only a few days up. I found nothing particularly telling opsec-wise that would have led to their being taken private.

A one-off it is. No other way around about current technology boundaries. It's as simple as that. Nice kill, but I can barely see any value in terms of ballistics for ELR shooting, meaning a repeatable firing solution. Meaningful as a military op? Maybe yes, maybe not. Looks like a lot of PR stuff other than anything else. Not bashing at all the feat itself, just a technical opinion based on the portrayed facts.

Last edited:
Reactions: secondofangle2
If the unit that did the shooting did not want their feats judged they should not have made said feats public.

-Stan
It was my understanding that the gov made it public first before they had even left the AO.

This just came out in last 24hrs. Covers some of what happened in terms of Shawn removing the video a day or so after posting it and why.

If the unit that did the shooting did not want their feats judged they should not have made said feats public.

-Stan

Incredible that you could come to any conclusion except amazing shooting

If you actually listened to the podcast that was actually a first round hit at 3450m, with 2 snipers shooting at the same time

So wheres your judgement now?

Reactions: stanley_white
A one-off it is. No other way around about current technology boundaries. It's as simple as that. Nice kill, but I can barely see any value in terms of ballistics for ELR shooting, meaning a repeatable firing solution. Meaningful as a military op? Maybe yes, maybe not. Looks like a lot of PR stuff other than anything else. Not bashing at all the feat itself, just a technical opinion based on the portrayed facts.
Its basically taking all the bleeding edge techniques in ELR and doing it under battlefield conditions

Something a civilian shooting comps for fun would have no idea about

Its basically taking all the bleeding edge techniques in ELR and doing it under battlefield conditions

Hmmm...no. The answer is simple. They were shooting the same rifle, the same bullet and the same scope with the exact same ballistics as you and the rest of the world, no secrets there no matter how many would love to think that. No military "magic" can surpass the laws of Physics. Yes, they may have resorted to the greatest targeting systems only a few know about, but that is all about target detection, identification and evaluation. I don't care if they used the latest and the greatest simply because we are talking about the shot(s) itself, not the military op, which of course is an altogether different criteria to judge its value.

Reactions: 308pirate
I can barely see any value in terms of ballistics for ELR shooting, meaning a repeatable firing solution.
Maybe that's the crux of the biscuit right there. 3400 yards is like 18" @ 1/2 MOA.
Without giving away any .gov dope the hit probability envelope opens up nearly another 1/2 MOA due to transonic effects for even the slickest BC available.
for instance one of our favorite .375's @ 2950 fps
Nearly 560' above line of sight FPS Ft/Lbs tome of flight

And we're just a little more than half way there @ 2,040 yards

This is as close as i could get to a zero at 3,400 so deal ...

3402-16.46885601810.000011035
3404-40.16765591800.000011047

Ranging becomes critical. Off by two yards, miss by 2 feet, give or take.

Then it's about winds and atmospherics aloft and doping wind you can't see.

My point is I've consistently "worried" a piece of 4'x8' sheetrock at between 1,500 and 1,700 yards with a one off rifle.
To do the same at 3,400 yards would defy physics, statistics, external ballistics, and any sense of reality.

Now increase the volume of fire to increase hit probability?

Instead of criticizing the effort I'll commend any and all associated with the effort for understanding enough about exterior ballistics to create a what amounts to a 6 foot by 6 foot hit box.*

*Look, even after averaging G1 G7, and looking back at 1,700 yard cards I'm really just spitballing here.
I got sick of the math to the point that beer isn't going to do it. I'm heading for the Irish Whiskey.

I googled the date of the longest shot. Seems to be roughly June of 2017.

Screenshot_20230301_212001_Chrome.jpg

‐----‐‐-------------------------------------------

So your saying something about civilians have no idea about what?

Screenshot_20230301_213518_Chrome.jpg

@DFOOSKING
I'm not in any way taking anything away from Derek Rodgers and Paul Phillips. far from it. Amazing work!
They did have one advantage. They walked it in from shorter distances over the length of the competition.
Again it takes serious hardware and wetware to reach out to that distance.
I'm looking at it from being able to understand enough about the shot at 1,700 yards to occasionally get hits.
Derek Rodgers actually banged the gong at 3,368 yards.

I'm not worthy

@DFOOSKING
I'm not in any way taking anything away from Derek Rodgers and Paul Phillips. far from it. Amazing work!
They did have one advantage. They walked it in from shorter distances over the length of the competition.
Again it takes serious hardware and wetware to reach out to that distance.
I'm looking at it from being able to understand enough about the shot at 1,700 yards to occasionally get hits.
Derek Rodgers actually banged the gong at 3,368 yards.

I'm not worthy
You're looking back at 2017 KO2M? There's been a lot more done since then. I was the only one to hit the 3521 plate at King 2022 with a second round impact after the 1st was .3mil left . The technology being used by us "civilians" is cutting edge, and is later adopted by the military after testing and proving. There's no point in arguing what's going on in the civilian shooting world or the military community as it's very well harmonized and training for a lot of the ballistics technology and new rifle systems happens by using civilian contractors to teach it to the spec ops communities.

Reactions: BCX
38 inches and change? Or did I skip a digit?
The correction from my spotter was right .3 which centered my second shot up on the plate after going just off left edge with the first shot. All of our wind and elevation calls are from center of plate.
During prelims I had a correction after the first shot on target 4 at 2668 where my spotter saw the impact low left on the plate and called .1 up .1 right which ended in shots 2&3 totally centered on the plate within 2" of each other

Attachments

• 26039~3.jpeg
    26039~3.jpeg
    60.7 KB · Views: 37
So yes 38" from center of plate .
Good! I can still think "mil". It's been a while. I got 38 and a bit of change. 38.02+ .
Yes I used a basic calculator. I may have been that good once, no more :-/
Lately I've been confronting my diminishing skills. I never was "high speed low drag".
Now it's more High drag, low speed. :) . It comes with the same age that taught me mil on the fly.

Great team, great shooting. And thank you for the reply.

Reactions: HellWolf
First of all, they are shooting suppressed 50s.
Second, they were setup there for weeks observing, building range cards to the point they have nicknames for every POI.
Third, they were walking in rounds with multiple shooters, spotters and they had no idea where the rounds were coming from.
Fourth, No idea what round they were using, Could have been raufous or other exploding type rounds that do not require a direct hit.

Impressive and cool? You bet.

When you factor in everything above, lob enough rounds with the best targeting info money or governments can buy you are eventually going to get lucky. And thats what they did, get lucky.

Reactions: 308pirate