• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Looking at Weaver Tactical FFP. Will my rings work

taseal

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 18, 2011
SE FL
I had a budget of about 300 bucks on a scope, but it seems like if I ditch the AICS and go with the B&C A2 stock, I can afford better glass, which I think is more important.

anyways, I'm pretty much set on the weaver tactical that just came out (FFP with EMDR) but I see that my rings might not clear it. I'm not even sure if they're the right rings. It came with the rifle when I bought it. will I have to get new rings, or a new base/rings?

and while taking the picture I realized that the iron sights might get in the way. I have a new barrel coming, but I'm waiting on the gunsmith which has a 2-3 month wait right now. I'd to be able to at least shoot the righ with the current setup until the new barrel. is that iron sight going to cause a problem? can I take that iron sight off somehow?

here is what I ahve on there right now. I think they're some Leupold quick release mounts...

dsc00973jy.jpg

dsc00933t.jpg

dsc00974s.jpg

Re: Looking at Weaver Tactical FFP. Will my rings work

The iron sights are easy to take off. There should just be some screws to take out.

Those rings look like 1" rings. You will need 30mm rings for that scope. I would upgrade the rings and mount. You could pick up a good steel 1 piece base with warne 30mm rings fairly inexpensively.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder if mediums would clear it... </div></div>

They're not talking about height, that's probably fine. They mean the diameter of the hole in the rings. They look they are designed for a 1" maintube scope and your weaver is 30mm (slightly larger) and it will not fit properly. Just double check to make sure they are the same. Height shouldn't be an issue with those rings though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nly205</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wonder if mediums would clear it... </div></div>

They're not talking about height, that's probably fine. They mean the diameter of the hole in the rings. They look they are designed for a 1" maintube scope and your weaver is 30mm (slightly larger) and it will not fit properly. Just double check to make sure they are the same. Height shouldn't be an issue with those rings though. </div></div>

They are talking about the height. all the rings I posted are 30mm rings.

they as in the last person before me actually lol. I realized they're 1 inch. (25mm) where the weaver is 30mm.

what I'm saying is, will medium height rings clear my gun (with the soon to be heavy barrel) and the barrel.

I'll probably just get the highs. I'm going to upgrade to a picatinny style base within a few months anyways, so I'll most likely get the highs and when it's time for the new base/rings I'll get something to lower it.

yeah those will work. I can afford that.

that base, will it do for good? I don't see why it shouldn't serve it's purpose for the length of the rifle

are the Burris XTRs any better?

and how come most people get the low/superlow rings for this scope which are at around .8-.9 inches and the burris XTR's nearest height to that is fricking the super high ones!? diff type of measuring?

I'm assuming I should be ok with their low ring, but I just want to make sure before I buy anything.