• Site Updates Coming Monday

We’re planning to start making changes bright and early on Monday so you might see the site down fir a bit, but no worries, we’ll make our changes and be back as soon as we can!

VIEW THREAD
  • Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for a New Rifle- Sako TRG 22?

Jcremer24

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2020
I got into PRS while I was in washington and had everything from a .308, 6.5, up to .338… Then I moved back to TX and sold most of my PRS builds. Inow have a hankering to get back into PRS… I downsized before our move and only have my .308 left. I should have some excess funds to pick up a new rifle in August and Im starting the research. I want something nice- but relatively practical for my area. Probably anywhere from $7-$8K all in. Thinking I want to pick up a Sako TRG 22A1 in 6.5 creedmoor- but I am also looking at the TRG 42A1 in .300 win mag. Open to others in the same league… I live in the hill country and at most in the immediate vicinity, I have access to 400 yds and another range that goes out to 800. However, have friends with private property and can get out to 1,700 yards (Couple hours drive). Would it even be worth it to look into the .300 win mag?

You can build a bad ass custom for only 4k

I wouldn’t build a mile gun unless I had regular access, a time or two per year and a couple hours drive would be just as well to use a creed and enjoy it in the closer too instead of punishing yourself.

Reactions: Jcremer24
My TRG42 300win was my favorite all time rifle. Also had a TRG22 in 243/308 I used in PRS for awhile before I chased several customs. In hindsight- I would have been better off staying with TRG's vs customs by far. I have been seriously considering selling one custom match rifle to get back into a TRG in 6.5Creed so I could have a factory rifle that has factory ammo options.
Pushing a 6.5 anything to greater distances is pretty fun.

My recommendation is to pick up a TRG 22, put a bartlein ModBB barrel on it, call Gulf coast precision and have a vision chassis v3 or vision chassis pro set up for the 22, and shoot that.

I love my TRGs, but the A1 chassis is not as nice as it could be and the vision is superior.

Not to mention if you get a used TRG you can build it the way you want it. Also, it would probably cost you a lot less.

You can ask Gulf coast precision if they’re used to re-barreling a TRG, or you can send it to somebody like short action customs.

Get an AI XC in 6.5creed and call it a day. The trg is nice but if you are stripping it to go vision, etc then you are essentially just making it into an ATXC.
If he plans to go 300 at some point the SR would make the most sense

If he can roll short action only and $7-$8k all in is also optics then a ATX from the px topped with a ZCO would make a nice combo

Long action sucks is meh for PRS because the magwell length. Ditto the "tactical hump" on the AXSR.

Not happy to crap on AI but its basic physics/math.

Last edited:

If he can roll short action only and $7-$8k all in is also optics then a ATX from the px topped with a ZCO would make a nice combo
I don't disagree overall. He was looking at single caliber rifles and mentioned prs so I figured the short action would be best. If he wants one gun for everything in the future then yes the SR.

I have a TRG22 and love the rifle but trying to sell it to move into more “practical” actions that accept prefits, AICS mags, and 700 pattern triggers/chassis.

For your budget you could pretty much build any custom you would want.

I have tried Lone peak, bighorn, zermatt, falkor, ARC, kelbly and used friends impacts, and defiance. I would take these over a TRG due to more chassis options, cheaper mags, lighter trigger options, and prefit barrels.

The key is finding an SR at that price point. I was thinking about $2K for glass. So that leaves about $6K tops for a rifle. If I could get to $7K all in that would be best!haven't seen an AXSR below $8K but maybe Im looking in the wrong places

Reactions: Baron85
The key is finding an SR at that price point. I was thinking about $2K for glass. So that leaves about $6K tops for a rifle. If I could get to $7K all in that would be best!haven't seen an AXSR below $8K but maybe Im looking in the wrong places
Right I wasn’t sure if that was just rifle or glass as well. You won’t likely find that kind of deal on a AXSR at $6k

Although not the best a 6.5 will do 1700 yds. I’ve shot my 260 past a mile. For a few times you may shoot it that far it may be ok. Won’t compete with the magnums at that distance though

I ended up getting rid of my 22 for an ARC CDG…

That being said… I had the exact set up that I just told you about and it was an absolute tack driver out to 1200.

The big problem with with an AX or AI in general, is going to be the insane cost.

If you can get a TRG for a reasonable amount of money, that is probably a good deal.

I ended up getting rid of my 22 for an ARC CDG…

That being said… I had the exact set up that I just told you about and it was an absolute tack driver out to 1200.

The big problem with with an AX or AI in general, is going to be the insane cost.

If you can get a TRG for a reasonable amount of money, that is probably a good deal.
Agreed. The new ATXC I wouldn’t even consider. Just to much $$ in todays market compared to the competition. The AI in the used market isn’t bad. I’d consider a used AXSR decent prices currently.

My 22 ATX has significantly more effort to open the bolt then my 14 AT has. I don’t shoot prs but I can see where it be a downfall shooting off barricades and what not. That may or may not matter to the OP