• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

looking for shooting ranges in southern CA over 1000 yds

We just shot a match on Camp Pendleton today where the furthest target was ~1100

Looks like these matches will be every second Sunday of the month. Hosted by Santa Margarita gun club and SDPRC is helping as much as we can

C1242381-4201-462B-809B-F5686C60EEC4.jpeg

Pala shooting range has ~900 just south of Temecula. we host matches every 4th sunday

I left before Pala had a range, we shot on our property in Ramona. But good ole uninterrupted range time was south side of ocotillo south of the railroad tracks. Never saw anybody else out there.

We just shot a match on Camp Pendleton today where the furthest target was ~1100

Pala shooting range has ~900 just south of Temecula. we host matches every 4th sunday

Hi THEIS thanks for the ring.. I shoot mostly out of Central CA and NV near NAS Fallon.

@hic28 same here, but Central CA. - we are north Bakersfield's in Avenal, although Socal guys make the drive from time to time. Image below from yesterday's match.
Unknown.jpeg

Wind was twitchy from our backs; 180° thru about 270° 10mph-20 (I didn't use a Kestrel but another squad reported a solid 20). Although we don't have wind flags on our course, I should have takes a picture of the wind flags on the Silhouette range that you can see in the canyon to the left. More often than not they were blowing in complete opposite directions to each other. BTW Coalinga 15 min away, in the same area in 1k military pits.

If you look for a a couple of the bases you'll see matches from time to time, but while the training grounds usually go further, the matches seem to limit the range as they should.

BUT for ELR, all CA has crazy amounts of BLM. A non-mil, ELR range hardly makes sense.

My recommendation for you in LA, is take the main freeways the 15 or 10 a bit east and shoot as far as you want and then some. Get yourself a map they isn't to much to get yourself in trouble except Fort Irwin Training Center north of the 15 off 127 and 29 Palms Combat Center South of 40.

@ELR researcher had some matches on BLM but the start at 2k

Last edited:
You want to be careful around state parks, such as Red Rock on hwy 14. Some of them have laws about no guns or shooting. If caught shooting or with a firearm on some of them, the Gestapo will arrest you, confiscate your firearms and everything else you have on you including your vehicle and everything in it. As stated above BLM is your best bet when free balling it. I live out by Death Valley, there is no shortage of places to shoot as far as you want, but you still have to be aware of where you are with all the state parks, national parks, and wilderness areas all of which have different firearms rules. It's a confusing mess, so bad most law enforcement dont even understand where you can and can't shoot, of course the commies designed it that way.

Reactions: Novak77

Looks like these matches will be every second Sunday of the month. Hosted by Santa Margarita gun club and SDPRC is helping as much as we can

View attachment 6987413

Ditto what Hic28 said. Hit up SDPRC's Facebook page or Santa Margarita Gun Club's web page for details, but right now, matches are available second Sunday (SMGC) and fourth Sunday (SDPRC) of the month.

You want to be careful around state parks, such as Red Rock on hwy 14. Some of them have laws about no guns or shooting. If caught shooting or with a firearm on some of them, the Gestapo will arrest you, confiscate your firearms and everything else you have on you including your vehicle and everything in it. As stated above BLM is your best bet when free balling it. I live out by Death Valley, there is no shortage of places to shoot as far as you want, but you still have to be aware of where you are with all the state parks, national parks, and wilderness areas all of which have different firearms rules. It's a confusing mess, so bad most law enforcement dont even understand where you can and can't shoot, of course the commies designed it that way.

Great advice about the parks being intermingled with BLM land. Several places I hunt deer up north are like this. Always double check and make sure you don't wonder into a fun free zone.

Reactions: JimLee
Wow! I'd never even heard of BRRC. Good to know! They even say they have "tactical" matches as well.
Yes.. They close down the range for the tactical match.. Much different than PRS style matches. Hike/walk all around down range to get to the shooting stages, no real time limit on stages, but everyone gets like 3 shots per target and they score the misses.. lowest score wins the match. Lots of good times at that place. I miss being a member there, but I don't miss living in California, so...

Enough about SoCal!
What about NorCal? Besides Sac Valley and Coalinga and Panoche Hills?
:)

In addition to Folsom that you listed, did you forget post #10 with the picture of Avenal? For a positional monthly matches on steel,it is worth the drive.

Livermore, Hollister, Castella, Susanville are (private - like Avenal) but long range steel, Tehama also has positional matches, there are others as well But BLM and National Forest land is not just Panoche, Clear lake area for BLM etc.. But there are way to many to list that go out to 300 - 600 and a bunch of good guys with ranches and training sites. Sprinkle Folsom and Coalinga back in there it is fairly big list.. Toss is the Southern part of the State and Mil matches in CA and it is hard to make the excuse that you can't find a long rage match or place to shoot.

Edited to Add - Most private ranges have relatively open access as long as you either pay to access or shot with a member.

Last edited:
BRRC is full
They will take your application for membership, but I've heard it's a wait
Piru is ok but their 1000 yds is up hill 22 degrees.
BLM like past Cal City is an option but a lot of motor cycle riders