• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

looking for something different

schlaiek

LR noob
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2013
Minneapolis
I've got a few extra bucks right now and I'm in the market for a new semi.
I'm 100% set of ARs in 223 & 308 - I love the platform, I'm just jonseing for something different.

I'd like to get something that would be a good fit for my incoming Razor2 1-10. I'd also like to get it soonish so I can get some reps on it and decide if I want to take it to training June & July.

1) Desert Tech MDRx in 55.6 & 6.5 creedmore - questionable reputation regarding build quality & customer service
2) IWI Tavor 7 - I'm not sure I want another 308 gun. they are significantly more expensive to feed than a 223 gun.
3) CZ Bren 2 - I don't know that the timing on this would work out.
4) IWI Tavor SAR - I had a X95 and didn't love it. I've been told the SAR is still the one to get, but I'm not sure a 1-10 scope would be a good fit.
5) FN Scar - had one, sold it. it was ok, but I did't love it. the platform has evolved a lot though since I had one.
6) B&T 223 or 308 - are these being imported as rifles right now? I adore my B&T TP9 SBR - I could convert a pistol I suppose, assuming parts are available.
7) Sig MCX - Is this really different enough from an AR?

am I missing an obvious option for a 1-2 moa carbine that is reliable and accurate and not an AR?
I like bullpups a lot (my go to non AR right now is a Steyr Aug A3) so I'm leaning towards option 1, 2, and 4. what say you?

You could look at a Robinson XCR. I think there was some stuff about custom service before and people don’t like the owner very much. Hmm it sounds more like I am trying to talk you out of that, lol. I have two and they shoot well and I never had a problem with them. Used them for classes and put 2000 rounds through one during a weekend class, no malfunctions. I just thought I’d mention them since they weren’t on your list.

DT MDR is my next purchase. A friend of mine has the original version and it hasn't had a single malfunction but DT sent him the new GB at no cost. It's been a sub moa rifle with many different loads. No issues with DT customer service and the new version of the MDR is even better.

Something different would be an AK variant that is in 5.56. Zastava is starting to import more. I just bought an Arsenal.

otherwise kicking it old school with a zenith 43 roller delayed blowback if that's your thing, but definately front heavy.