• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

looking to purchase a 2nd rcbs single stage press

cruze5

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2006
Kentucky
So i have a very old RCBS rockchucker that has been reliable for someone else for probably 20-30+ years and for the 2 years that I have used it.

Now i am looking for a 2nd press. I am sold on RCBS. They have won me over as a customer by their customer service. as of now i am looking at $150 max and I am curious on the differences between the rockchucker and the other two presses available by RCBS

1. The rockchucker, I know this works great because thats what i am using now. But if i buy a cheaper press that will reload .308 and .223 just the same I would just assume do that.

others available:
2.RCBS Partner Single Stage Press
3. RCBS Reloader Special-5 Single Stage Press

I have competition dies for both .223 and .308
I use a handheld universal primer
I have a manual case trimmer.
I have a powder trickler

I've searched but i guess no one has considered these other two presses?

Re: looking to purchase a 2nd rcbs single stage press

Before your post I'd never heard of the RS-5, so I googled it. It looks just a little beefier to me. I've been considering a second press myself( I have a ruck chucker supreme)just for de-priming and repriming.

Don't get me wrong, I love my RCBS press and the folks there can't be beat for customer service. But I really don't like the way the RC handles (or mis-handles) de-priming with dirty primers all over the place. The Lee Breech Lock Challenger drops them down a tube right into a waiting can below. I'm one of the few guys I know that prefers de-priming/priming on press. Cabelas has them on sale right now. In fact, I may just head down the road and pick one up this weekend.

Being a newbie here, I have been using a RCBS Rockchucker for 30 years with no problem. Now it is only used in a decapper/sizing service for the larger cartridges to prep them in the reloading sequence. The Dillon 650 is for reloading 5.56 due to the powder measure & the very old Dillon 450 finishes off everything else to a T. The old RCBS has never given me a bit of a problem, just requires oiling & cleaning after a long run of reloading!

I own two old presses, one is a Rockchucker and about 6 years ago upgraded to the AmmoMaster. In my opinion, the AmmoMaster does it all, an excellent investment. BB

The most presses possible to use would be 5: decap, size, prime, seat, crimp.

But I have 9 mounted to the bench, as part of my continuous hoarding program.

1) Forster Co-ax press... use it all the time.
2) Bonanza Co-ax press.... use it all the time.
3) RCBS partner press... use it all the time.
4) Lee reloader press... use it all the time for decapping.
5) RCBS rockchucker press... use it occasionally
6) 2nd Lee reloader press... use it occasionally
7) 3rd Lee reloader press....never use it
8) Dillon 500B press.... never use it.
9) Lyman All American Press.... never use it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Clark</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The most presses possible to use would be 5: decap, size, prime, seat, crimp.

But I have 9 mounted to the bench, as part of my continuous hoarding program.

1) Forster Co-ax press... use it all the time.
2) Bonanza Co-ax press.... use it all the time.
3) RCBS partner press... use it all the time.
4) Lee reloader press... use it all the time for decapping.
5) RCBS rockchucker press... use it occasionally
6) 2nd Lee reloader press... use it occasionally
7) 3rd Lee reloader press....never use it
8) Dillon 500B press.... never use it.
9) Lyman All American Press.... never use it. </div></div>

I would love to have the forster...

no one ever has them in stock, and its slightly out of my price range. plus RCBS has mail in rebates right now, and i have a $10 off Boys scouts coupon

is there anything else I would need to buy to get a forster to work with RCBS competition dies?

I have a spare RCBS partner (I believe)that I have been thinking about using for decapping/sizing 223.

I use a rockchucker supreme for all my long cartridges such as 3006 375 h&h 338 lapua 300 win mag and such. I have a rs5 that was my first press and still use it for 308 223 243 and 300 savage. It is an excellant press and I have used it to do all my cartriges except seat bullets in the lapua. I like to use it still because it has a shorter stroke than the rockchucker. They both are mounted to my bench as are a hornady lnl ap and a mec 9000