• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Lot number lessons

Norcal911

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2017
My shooting partner and I shoot SK RM pretty much exclusively. Him through a RPRF, me through a couple of 10/22's and a Vudoo. I've done a lot of little things to his RPRF and got it shooting respectably. A week or two ago, it starts shooting absolute shotgun groups, 2-3" @ 50. I detail stripped it, checked torque, back together it goes and its shooting straight again (unknowningly tested it with my ammo). He gets behind it this morning (with his ammo) back to shotgun groups. At this point, i'm thinkin its him. I grab it, same shotgun groups. I roll it over to my spot and inadvertantly grab my SK RM, right back to .5-.75" groups. Looked at the ammo (all SK RM) and see that he's shooting a different lot number. I've read about it, even seen it a little, but 2-3 inches difference was educational at the very least. Coincidentally, his "bad" lot shot fine out of at least one of my 10/22's. The whole morning was educational and fascinating at the same time. Sometimes the simple lessons I know to be true aren't truely learned until you see it kick uour own ass first hand-Norcal911

I learned that not too long ago as well. I found some Winchester super x that shot amazing out of my savage mark ii. I mean every bullet hole touching kind of amazing, and super cheap. The next 2 boxes I bought were garbage, though, and I never looked at the lot number because I never expected it to make that much of a difference. Trying different types of SK and Eley, still haven't found any that grouped as well as a $3 box of super x in a "cheap" savage 22

Reactions: goneballistic
Inhave had two lots of sk standard plus that have shot 3in groups at 50. With 4 separate rifles. Two seperate lots. It's crazy. With my cz /bartlein I can shoot the standard plus, 2.5in group, instantly switch to sk rifle match the next group and get a group the size of a dime.

I have four different lots of SK Std. Plus but have only shot three of them. Of the three one lot shoots great in all my rifles, the other two shoot good buy not great. I practice with the two good lots and shoot the best lot at our local fun bench rest matches.

Reactions: goneballistic