• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

low and right

What are you shooting, Jason?

Or Chatbot if that’s your bag.
Its my first rifle build. Its a Savage Model11 action in .243 mated to a 1-7 twist Criterion MTU barrel threaded with a Little Bastard brake bolted up with a precision machined stainless barrel nut and .250 machined stainless recoil lug. its all bedded with Devcon into a Choate Machine stock. Has Pacific Tool and Gauge Stealth bottom metal housing a Timmney Savage 110 trigger set to 12ozs, Weaver scope rail (bedded to the action) and topped off with a NightForce ATACR 7-35x56. Im shooting Lapua brass, 115gr Berger VLDs, 41.5gr H4831 powder at 2779fps.

Its my first rifle build. Its a Savage Model11 action in .243 mated to a 1-7 twist Criterion MTU barrel threaded with a Little Bastard brake bolted up with a precision machined stainless barrel nut and .250 machined stainless recoil lug. its all bedded with Devcon into a Choate Machine stock. Has Pacific Tool and Gauge Stealth bottom metal housing a Timmney Savage 110 trigger set to 12ozs, Weaver scope rail (bedded to the action) and topped off with a NightForce ATACR 7-35x56. Im shooting Lapua brass, 115gr Berger VLDs, 41.5gr H4831 powder at 2779fps.
So the first shot always being high could be the BA shifting in the stock or a bunch of other things. As far as low and right at 500-600 yards could be anything, wind, variations in ammo consistency, natural point of aim, how well you shoot, on and on. What ammo are you shooting?

Reactions: lash
So the first shot always being high could be the BA shifting in the stock or a bunch of other things. As far as low and right at 500-600 yards could be anything, wind, variations in ammo consistency, natural point of aim, how well you shoot, on and on. What ammo are you shooting?
by "BA" do you mean bedded action?
My low and right hits at distance are pretty consistant across the board. windy, calm, early morning, afternoon. I also run a level on my scope. You mentioned natural point of aim, I think ill work on that. I would consider myself a "decent" shooter. Nothing special but no slouch. I currently shoot hand loaded ammo. 41.5gr H4831, Lapua brass, Berger 115 VLDs, CCI #34 primers.

If your rifle (or optic) is canted to the right it will cause your impacts to be low and to the right. Maybe setup a plum bob to check assuming you already are using a bubble level.

I know my optic is level. I use a Short Action Customs Final Scope Level. I also leveled the rifle and scope rail prior to mounting the scope and used a plumb line in the process.
Maybe it's my positioning, or cheek weld/shoulder pocket weld?
Thanks for the suggestion and reply. I really appreciate it.

Reactions: gDP
I know my optic is level. I use a Short Action Customs Final Scope Level. I also leveled the rifle and scope rail prior to mounting the scope and used a plumb line in the process.
Maybe it's my positioning, or cheek weld/shoulder pocket weld?
Thanks for the suggestion and reply. I really appreciate it.
Is your body squared to the rifle? Does the reticle move to the right when you fire?