• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER -base/scope/pod/ b.site PT2

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
This is Part 2 covering the actual mounting of the scope, leveling of crosshairs, bore sight made easy, bipod, and a report on investment made.

5. The preliminary mounting of the scope is similar to the mounting of the round stock except leave the top locks loose for adjustments back and forth to accommodate eye relief and to make sure the rings are not close to the junctions of the objective lens, adjustment turrets, power ring or eyepiece. These are generally the weakest and non-conformed points of the optic, so stay clear of putting clamping pressure near them. I also like to add a little strip of electrical tape to the bottom of the inside of the ring as a gasket to help prevent any movement. Once you've established the correct distances, slightly tighten as described in #3, leaving a little "play" left to level the cross hairs.

6. For leveling the crosshairs, there are a few methods. One way is to use a sparkplug feeler gauge from a flat surface or 1 piece base on the receiver to the bottom of the adjustment area on the scope. The catch is that having that having a round receiver, will not work as a shim to level the scope. Dropping a plum line using string also is helpful (aligning the vertical crosshair with the line), however I prefer to
setup a white paper out about 50 yards, and with a level and a sharpie, draw a horizontal and vertical line. It can be done closer. You can also bore sight afterwards, essentially killing 2 birds with 1 stone. Simply bring the rifle back to level, if moved, using the marks as described in step 1, then align the crosshairs to the level marks on the paper.
22mkiifBORESITEGREENJPG.jpg

22mkiifBORESITEREDJPG.jpg

Then tighten the top locks as described in step 3 checking from time to time the reticle stays level with the marks on the paper.
MKIITIGHTENTOPLOCKSIDE.jpg

MKIIFTIGHTENTOPLOCKTOP.jpg

Now the rifle is level, the scope is level and should track /adjust accordingly, and any future anti cant devices can be mounted with confidence of being accurate whether it's receiver or optic mounted style. Plus it's nice to know your optic and rifle are operating on the same plane.

7. While the paper is still up and the rifle in position, I did a quick bore sight. I drew a spot on the paper (or use the center of the cross I drew before, took out the bolt, looked through the barrel from the area of the butt of the stock, and centered the spot or cross in the middle of the bore.
22mkiifSPOTTHRUBOREJPG.jpg

Now I took a look through the scope. Are the crosshairs on the spot? No, so I adjusted elevation and windage until
the crosshairs are. A few more looks through the bore and scope to see if all is still aligned. Generally, it shouldn't take more than 6 shots at 50 yard to be on target, if the bore sight was done at 50.
22mkiifBORESITESPOTJPG.jpg

8. When I purchased the optics and rings, I had also purchased a bipod flying under the Winchester banner (basically a Harris knock off, not of the same quality, however acceptable for $39.97). The only size Wal-Mart had was 9"-13". I prefer the 6"-9" for off the bench, but the 9"-13" works well in the prone position. The biggest noticeable difference is the lack of springs in the interior of the legs. This bipod also has the smooth legs, of which I prefer for micro adjustments for leveling, rather than the notched legs. Installation is simply pinching the arms that have the pins into the front sling stud, and tighten. Wiggle the bipod alittle to make sure it has seated correctly against the stock while tightening and look from the top of the barrel for proper alignment / even space between the legs and barrel. Follow manufacturers instuctions on adjustments. I will eventually add another stud or two for mounting, especially far rearward as close as possible to the receiver. This transfers weight to the receiver, causes less flex in the stock, and a better balance / pivot area to get on target quicker. It also puts adjustment knobs closer to the operator and reduces the amount of movement.

How it looks so far....
22mkiifTURRETREARVIEWJPG.jpg

22mkiifSCOPELFVIEWJPG.jpg

22mkiifSCOPERRVIEWJPG.jpg

22mkiifSCOPETOPVIEWJPG.jpg

As of now, total investment:
Rifle = $127.00 (using $127.00, was actually $107.00 with a $20.00 off credit card application coupon)
Background check = $5.00
Scope = $69.97
Bipod = $39.97
Rings =$9.47
Tax = $15.08 (6%)

TOTAL = $266.49 (AS OF 01-14-2010)
Time = 3hrs

url]

url]

Now off to the range to see what the off the shelf barebones from the factory setup can do before any accuracy enhancements......next update LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER-range report

Re: LOW BUDGET .22 TRAINER -base/scope/pod/ b.site PT2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chadwick122689</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been following your low budget trainer threads... Very nice... You have me itchin' to build one for a knockaround hunting/CMP sporter gun! </div></div>

Me too! I want another rifle...
smile.gif

Real good stuff here for those looking to get in on some .22LR action with what one might term as an "entry level" expense. The step by step setup of the rifle you have done is a valuable tool not only for the new-comers to the sport, but for us old veterans as well. I'd like to see this up in the learning threads. Great stuff!
smile.gif

And really, I do want another rifle!!!
smile.gif

I tossed and turned all night TP, and I decided this morning that when I get to work I'm going to pick up the Marlin 925 I ordered in two months ago to give to my son for Christmas. Instead I gave him a Savage MK II-BTV, and put the Marlin in the retail rack about 2 weeks ago.

I've had my eye on this 925 Marlin for sometime now, and have wanted one for a long time. I Thought my hunger for it would have been satisfied had I gave it to my son for Christmas, (then I could shoot it also), but like I said - I gave him the MK II-BTV instead.

So you see, your thread here has been good for rifle sales already!
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">tell savage that, so they can right me a check!!!!!!!!
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Well,,, I would,,, but I bought a Marlin...
smile.gif

I'm really enjoying these threads...very helpful in building a trainer that fits in a college student's budget. I picked up the same bipod today, and I am almost sold on the same scope. I went a little higher end on the actual rifle (mkII btv) since it was a Christmas present and I am looking forward to getting it completed. It already shoots 5/8" groups at 50 yards with the cheap Dick's package scope, a value pack of the Remington gold bullet .22s, and using a hay bale as support. Looking forward to putting it all together and starting the search for the ammo it likes best.

It looks like there are 6 mil-dots on each leg of the crosshair. The normal is 4, so it is 10 mils from thick post to thick post. Is this not the case with the Center Point?

Also, how would you compare the Center Point to the Tasco Target-Varmint in either 2.5x10 or 6x24?

thanks

yeah it has 6 on each leg, and thinner crosshairs than the usual. may be a good thing, maybe not depending on how you look at it.

i don't have a tasco varmint on any of my rifles, but having looking through one i can say that they are pretty clear for the price. no field experience with it. i know a bunch of guys have them here, and like them.

i have had previous experience with the centerpoint and really liked it, even if it was twice the price. i like the extra features the centerpoint has also.

Have you run it up and down? The Crossman web page does not say how much internal adjustment is has.

It looks like it has side focus plus an adjustable Objective, how does that work? Or is that a side focus?

thanks