• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing LR308 barrel nut torque technique

RprtasteforLR

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2019
Oregon
Have all the parts put together for my first lr308 aero build but I need to torque down the barrel nut. I have a torque wrench but watched a video showing I need to use a vice block to hold my upper while torquing. Is there a home made way to safely hold the upper while torquing down the barrel nut ? Thanks ahead of time

You can try clamping the upper in a vice between some plywood or other semi-soft wood. But risk cracking the upper.

Tool from Brownells or the more expensive version from Geissele would be a much safer way. Brownells accepts at 1/2 inch drive, or you can place a 1/2 stub of metal to hold it in a vise. Then you can do the torque wrenching with both hands.

Thanks for the input. I ended up using a vise with some nylon pads off Amazon around the upper. Final torque was 40ft lbs. If I was to do another build I would buy the correct tool but luckily this worked out this time.