Gunsmithing LRI AXMC Bolt bushing shout out

Huskydriver

Not here for a long time but here for a good time
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2018
SLC, Utah
Chad @LongRifles Inc. and Kayleb killed it for me. My bolts were gone exactly 7 days and look perfect. Thanks guys!

I had them bush my 338 and 300 wm bolts. and turn down my factory LFP's. Coincidentally when I was measuring and playing around with everything tonight, I found the turned down LFP's will work with a factory SFP bolt body as a back up firing pin just in case anyone is wondering.

20191005_173234.jpg

20191005_143921.jpg

Nice! Will the SFP also fit in the bushed bolts?...I'm guessing not as the length of the turned down portions seem indicate different internal dimensions?
Thanks

Nice! Will the SFP also fit in the bushed bolts?...I'm guessing not as the length of the turned down portions seem indicate different internal dimensions?
Thanks

AI decided to shorten the striker pin portion that makes contact with the primer (as seen in the photos shown here) on the new SFP type setups. When they did this, they (consequently) also drove the pin's counterbore closer to the bolt face. (talking about inside the bolt head) Not a bad thing, there's plenty of material for strength and all, but. . .

It creates a little challenge for douchers like me who machine on this stuff. If we attempted to ignore the striker pin's shorter length and just "go for it" with an insert, there's just not ample room to install it and feel good about it staying put. It translates to roughly 1mm of thread engagement.

This is why we elected to go ahead and modify the new pins to emulate what we've been doing in the past with the legacy stuff. It gives us the room needed for the insert to take hold of the bolt head.

C.