• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Lyman / Mark 7 Apex 10

Cardboard Assassin

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2020
Canada
Anyone have one of these? I'm shooting more and more and while I love reloading I am trying to streamline things for time saving purposes.

I am currently loading on a Dillon 650 (which I would probably keep as I have multiple toolheads / case feeder etc etc and I could use it for little jobs) but the Apex 10 is a pretty awesome piece of kit and has enough stations that there are no compromises (swaging / powder check / separate seating & crimping which from what I have read is deffo the way to go).

I watched some videos and the Apex is pretty involved to switch calibers so I would only do that to do a large volume . This press would be setup almost exclusively for loading 9mm, maybe once a year I would switch toolheads to process - ie decap / size / swage - pre cleaned 9mm brass before cleaning it again (I know it is two passes but it keeps all the crap away from the press and the loaded ammo doesn't have lube on it). Bulk 223 would be the same deal.

I would be purchasing this and running manually initially to get it setup / get a feel for it with a view to automating. I would add the suite of sensors as that is part of the attraction (swage sense / primer orientation etc etc).

My questions to anyone who has the Apex 10:

1) My main question is how has the priming system performed? I have read a LOT of reviews and the one negative thing I kept seeing was priming issues - I know not everyone is mechanically minded so that could be a factor but if its going to be a heart break I don't want it.

2) Did you get the digital powder measure? If so how has it performed?

3) My current presses live in my unheated garage but I figure the Apex 10 with all the extra tech / gadgetry really needs to live somewhere more hospitable / heated - where does yours live at and how has the reliability been?

4) What dies are you using? FW Arms seem to be the go to for this machine - anyone running these?

Lyman / Mark 7 are working on another new press which is pretty revolutionary (Genesys) and I am keeping an eye on that but they have been saying it is just about to be released now for some time which makes me nervous (hopefully they are getting the final gremlins ironed out and it will be awesome). It is more of a out of the box solution with everything included and a bunch of new technology (separate motors for indexing / moving the toolhead etc etc) as opposed to the Apex 10 which is more of an regular / proven design where you can start basic (ie manually) and add tech until you are fully automated. The Genesys cannot be run manually which is a downside for me (if the press is doing something funky it is good to be able to run it manually to aid in troubleshooting).

https://www.mark7reloading.com/the-mark-7-genesys