• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

M-Press Die Blocks

activereality

Activereality
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2017
Florida
Does anyone else seem to have an issue on a die block grub screw not wanting to stay tight? Resulting in a wandering die?
On my sizing die - i have had an issue getting the grub screw to stay tight. I am trying some blue loc-tite now to see if that might assist it.
i did tighten the screw at full up travel with a case in the holder to get it as far 'Up' in the die block threads - and top of die block travel - as possible.
Hoping this works. I have previously striped the hex portion of the grub trying to tighten it more. I'm kinda 'afraid' to use a grub screw other than the supplied brass ones - cause i don't want to damage the die threads with a steel screw. I guess i could always try to find a steel screw with a brass tip or something.

If you found the same - what were your solutions?

You could try Vibra-Tite VC-3 reusable threadlocker on the screw.
So far i have only tried blue loctite - it worked for about 5 sizing sessions (usually 200 ish cases) - and i noticed on the 5th session that the die had wandered - looked like i caught it within like 10-15 cases. so far this is my only complaint on the M-Press.

Why not drill and tap both sides of the die block for a total of 3 locking grub screws. How about drilling and tapping all 3 for a larger grub screw? If the die "wanders" after this...

Why not drill and tap both sides of the die block for a total of 3 locking grub screws. How about drilling and tapping all 3 for a larger grub screw? If the die "wanders" after this...
Hmm, this is an option, but tbh, if i need to do that much customization to make the die blocks work - i'll swap presses and not need to worry about it. So far this is my only issue - and its only with this one sizer - my 6gt and 308 sizing dies dont seem to suffer from it. Gonna try some of these nylon-tipped grub screws and see how that goes

there are die blocks for the m press sold on ebay that i liked better than the frankford ones , they still use a set screw though

they have a separate website from ebay also , joferusa.com

Reactions: Eo12