• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

M1 garand scout mount

Its not permanent haha
I knew what you meant.;)

In any case, scout scopes take a little getting used to. The excessive distance from the scope makes the eye want to multiple focus. Once used to them, they are quick. IMO however, they are not as accurate as you can be with a regular rifle scope. So, for increasing shot placement at the range, they are okay, not great. Better than most iron sights on most oldies.

Make sure you put the regular sight in a box and where you keep it. Seems like even temporary becomes permanent after you've left it that way a while.:rolleyes:

I knew what you meant.;)

In any case, scout scopes take a little getting used to. The excessive distance from the scope makes the eye want to multiple focus. Once used to them, they are quick. IMO however, they are not as accurate as you can be with a regular rifle scope. So, for increasing shot placement at the range, they are okay, not great. Better than most iron sights on most oldies.

Make sure you put the regular sight in a box and where you keep it. Seems like even temporary becomes permanent after you've left it that way a while.:rolleyes:
Now bear with me ..maybe a red dot like a trijicon or burris may be in order ? Instead of a scout mount a replacement of the rear sight with a hopco mount ?

Now bear with me ..maybe a red dot like a trijicon or burris may be in order ? Instead of a scout mount a replacement of the rear sight with a hopco mount ?
Good idea, as long as you're doing like the scout scope. Don't devalue the historic value of the rifle by drilling and tapping if you don't have to. Lots of old Mausers and 1903 have already been modified, see if you can't find one of them.

Ugghhh id never do that but i have seen some bubba garands around and it makes me sick .
Yeah, I know. The sad thing was there was a million of them floating around for decades at $29.00 apiece before they finally started to climb. I bought my first 1909 for $100 if you can believe that.

In fact, back then the only ones worth much were the ones a gun-guild type 'smith got hold of and made a pretty nice shootin' piece. Yup, even done well, many were sacrificed to the custom market.

What would Gen. Patton think about putting a scope on your Garand?

1543170503855.jpeg

Reactions: crackerbrown
This contraption belongs to a buddy of mine and im about to pist a in depth thread to get info on it. It was a .308 convert and im thinking about keeping it. But im gonna put a aim point on it first. Look for the thread im about to start

Attachments

• E8F9FC4E-8DC3-45F1-AC4D-0A8BB21618FC.jpeg
    E8F9FC4E-8DC3-45F1-AC4D-0A8BB21618FC.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 195
  • 4D2A293D-A306-43F5-8E68-82855104F7D9.jpeg
    4D2A293D-A306-43F5-8E68-82855104F7D9.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 355
  • 56B7AECC-76E4-4AFE-A0DC-43B99D56066C.jpeg
    56B7AECC-76E4-4AFE-A0DC-43B99D56066C.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 196
  • 4D2D4232-E912-43E1-AF2C-1CA7D6A25ED3.jpeg
    4D2D4232-E912-43E1-AF2C-1CA7D6A25ED3.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 138
Reactions: sandwarrior
I reached the age where iron sight s are becoming a challenge while developing loads.
I installed an Ultimak with a Nikon 2.5-8X pistol scope. Does it look right? Nope. But "form follows function" It works.
garand 7x.jpg

Reactions: wildcats
As far as scout scopes whats a good one. The vortex with .308 bdc looks alright.eatherwood nikon i would the the Leupold would be up there I like this garand in .308 shooting irons i think ill love it with a optic. This is my first one. They just feel right. yeah they are a little heavy. I can see how this helped win the war. The balance of emThey feel like a extension of you. I like the mags they eject fast and you can drop em in quick. It’s like it forces you into gurilla warfare. Cause you only got 8 shots so you gotta move. You can keep your head down and take shots with better cover. I get it now

SK makes a mount that sits between the rear sight ears and secures with a through bolt. Just remove the rear sight and one bolt done. Is offset to the left like a C or D. Rotate the scope ccw 45deg and use the windage dial for elevation. Leaves more room for ejection on right. I have one, not currently mounted or I'd share a pic. M1D cheek pad provides correct offset.

Take this for what it is worth but I consider vintage rifles to be more collectible than functional. To modify a vintage rifle is not prudent, in my opinion, since it decreases the rifles value - sometimes by a lot. If one wants a rifle with more modern features (like a scout scope), stick with a modern rifle.

Reactions: ROT
Take this for what it is worth but I consider vintage rifles to be more collectible than functional. To modify a vintage rifle is not prudent, in my opinion, since it decreases the rifles value - sometimes by a lot. If one wants a rifle with more modern features (like a scout scope), stick with a modern rifle.
It's not permanent modification to the rifle. It's a remove and replace parts. The trick then is not to lose the original parts.

I have a buddy that rolls the Leupold fx-ii scout scope on a mount on his garand that didnt require tapping, may have been the Ultimak mount. He loved it and could keep 3moa out to 500 at cadence with just a gi loop sling. I'll drop him an email and inquire about the mount.

Scout mounted scopes make sense with clip-fed rifles, but are still prone to the issues described above.

While I would not even give a passing thought to putting one on my own Garand; I did a serious bit of experimentation with several rack grade Mosin-Nagant 91/30's.

For pure accuracy, there's only a limited return on such projects.

But the real payoff comes when considering the scope as an improved adjustable sight.

On the M-N 91/30, it makes a world of difference. On the Garand, the sights are already world class adjustable military sights.

Greg

Reactions: ROT
FWIW, CMP sold scout scope mounts that replaced the rear hand guard some years ago. They could be as permanent or temporary as you wanted them to be as the rear handguard is easilly removed and replaced when detail stripping the rifle. At 73 I have 20/20 vision (post cataract surgery) but struggle to get a good sight picture at 200 yards and beyond. I have one (they were about $100 IIRC) but have never used it.

Harry