• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

M1 garand tanker, t26 - value?

BenTerrible

Which way did my bullet go?
Minuteman
May 26, 2009
A local shop took in a T26 Garand on a trade and they now have it on the wall for sale. I am a fan and already have a few of these, I thought one more couldn't hurt but they want $2500?!

I have been told all numbers are matching ( have not confirmed ) and the receiver number dates to 1943 production. The rifle is a Springfield Armory and chambered in 30-06. Just curious on opinions as far as value goes on these rifles. Numbers matching or not, I paid well under $2K years back.

Thoughts?

-BT

I had a tanker rechambered in 308. Basically a battlefield pick up rebarreled. The 308 was Do able for the shorter barrel. The 30/06 would be a bear. A hoot to shoot with a beautiful fireball. Sold it for $880 two years ago.

Buyer beware,

Of the few T26 prototypes made that survived, most are in Museums.

Second, of the ones made up out of surplus parts years ago by Tom, Dick, and Harry, many used re-welded receivers & op rods from government scrap piles. (Look for the weld/fill marks, machining and file marks, and to compare the drawing numbers on the right front leg of the receiver with the serial number to make sure they match.) Also a lot of these tankers don't work well out of the box and need tweaking to get them reliable.

I would use a great deal of caution, and would have to see it work first, before I would buy one at any price, let alone $2,500.

But, that's just me.

Typically, tanker models do not hold their values as a unmodified correct M1 does. I would value a functioning tanker in the $875 - $895 range.

If you really want a T-26 style garand get the new M1-S from Dean's
DGR - Dean's Gun Restorations

or the Mini-G from shuff's
http://www.shuffsparkerizing.com/Conversion_Tanker_Sniper.php

Hell, for $1400, you can buy a brand new Mini-G from Shuffs, which is essentially there own version of the "Tanker Garand" but with a 16.25" instead of the 18" tanker. I have heard nothing but good reviews about Shuff's rifle. So much so, that i am actually going the route of having them do a conversion on a Garand. It is cheaper to have them do a Garand then buy one of the pre-made guns they sell. I plan on buying a Field Grade HRA from the CMP based upon part content and wood condition as opposed to barrel erosion and metal finish since Shuff's will shorten the barrel, and refinish all parts during he conversion for $575. Netting me a proven and tested "tanker" Mini-G for under a thousand. Then you can use the saved money from the local shop's deal to invest in a ton of HXP M2 ball ammo.