M14 stock refinishing

don447

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2018
Fort Worth, Texas
I have one of the very early Springfield Armory rifles from the earliest 70's when they were still located down here in Texas. In those early days nearly all if not 100% of the parts were USGI parts acquired from the old Springfield National Armory. So my old rifle really is a semi-auto M14 as all of my parts are USGI. I have always wanted to refinish either a Garand stock or M14 stock in presentation-grade high gloss finish instead of the standard oil finish. As I don't want to damage the original stock I will be obtaining a second stock to do my work to. What do any of you folks recommend to use for a high gloss luster instead of linseed oil or tung oil? In all of my previous stock refinishing projects on civilian stocks I have always used Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. But I am sure there are better products out there used for beautiful glossy custom stocks on rifles and shotguns. I just don't know what products the custom guys use. Please let me know any recommendations you might have.

My first finishing job was done on a Norinco SKS using Tru-Oil, so any ruination would have minimal impact. Like most first timers, I made it gleam. I soon made an offhand observation that it would probably stand out at just the wrong time on a two-way range, and made a mental note to thereafter resort to a satin-like finish.

Several stocks later, I found that simple Boiled Linseed Oil, I chose the stuff in the blue quart can at Wally-World's paint aisle, worked as well, was available with minimal hassle, and economical as well.

Last Summer, I took on the Local VFW's 8 Garands' maintenance, and decided to refinish them all. As provided by the DOD, they had slightly fat stocks lacking storage wells, were probably birch, did not appear to be actual Issue Grade stocks, and were encrusted in an apparently water (and alcohol?) based very dull dark chocolate brown 'stain'. That had to go.

I mixed rubbing alcohol and odorless paint thinner, and rubbed surface down with O grade steel wool saturated in the blend after removing all the metal from the stocks and hand guards (yes I removed the lower handguard clips with the appropriate tool). I worked at the removal, stopping just short of complete removal, leaving a slight rose shade on the wood. I made some deliberate effort to get A) all the wood parts from a given rifle to match shades closely, and B) to give each individual rifle some slight color variation from the others so each had some individuality.

I then soaked the wood with two coats of BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil) thinned to 50% with Odorless Paint Thinner, brushing it on liberally and allowing only enough time for it to be absorbed after wiping the excess off with shop rags before applying the second application. Wipe the wood down dry to touch after this and allow ample time for the BLO to dry as completely as possible. The intent is to get the initial stage of the finish to penetrate as deeply as we can.

Now begins the hand rubbing. Polish the wood first with OO Grade Steel wool, just enough to bring up some dull sheen. Dip a fingertip into the BLO and spread it onto the wood, stretching it out as far as it will go. Do this a few times until the entire surface has an even, very light coat of BLO. Using the palm/heel of the hand, stroke the wood back and forth getting it pretty warm from friction. This warmth is what makes the oil penetrate and bond with previous applications, and evaporates any excess BLO, leaving it dry to the touch. After two or three immediate following coats applied the in same fashion, to each wood part from a particular rifle, set the parts aside to dry and harden overnight.

The next day (earlier, preferably. There's still some work to do) take the OO Steel Wool and cut the finish back until the wood grain is exposed, but stop short of significantly removing the remaining trace of stain.

Repeat the hand rubbing for another three coats, and allow to dry overnight as above. There's a lot of rubbing, and a lot of waiting overnight; so I would work on two or more rifles per day, otherwise this process could take really long. Your rubbing arm will get strong, and your rubbing hand will toughen up some, too.

At this point there's eight or more coats already deposited. Cut the finish back to the wood again, same as before. What we're doing here is building the finish in the wood grain, not on top of the wood grain. This not only adds appearance, it also adds strength to the wood's surface.

The next and single final coat is the actual satin shine, and gets left as it appears after thorough hand polishing.

For a brighter finish, apply (another/more?) hand rubbed coat(s?) of BLO, as desired.

The Oil finish is special, because it is sorta alive. It can be hand repolished with or without additional BLO, and can be repaired by cutting it down to the stain/grain and rebuilding the surface coat. For dents and gouges, place a folded and refolded pad of paper towel saturated with rubbing alcohol over the blemish, allow the wood to absorb some, and apply a steam iron. The steam can raise all or most for the dent. Finish similar to the final step above.

A more significant ding can be slowly filled using OO Steel Wool dampened with BLO. Work in a circular motion covering the entire ding and at least another inch outward. The fine dust combines with the BLO to form a paste filler. Work this into the ding, not too thick at a time, and allow it to dry/harden substantially. Use your judgement, because you are working in the stain layer, and can leave it looking patchy if you remove too much stain. Too thick, too little drying can generate cracks. This may need a few repeats, but in the end, the ding will be filled with the same material as the stock itself. You get to decide how far this process is taken. Again, complete the repair by repeating the final finishing step.

The 8 Garands were transformed from a murky dull and dark chocolate brown to an array of rifles ranging from blond to mild cherry wood color. It took several weeks.

While I was at it, the metallic parts groups were also disassembled, soaked overnight in a mix of Odorless Paint Thinner and a much smaller percentage of Hoppe's gun oil, then wiped and dried to the touch. All parts were reassembled using White Lithium Grease (Lubriplate) very lightly applied with a fingertip to those moving parts areas that showed some shininess from wear. The rifles look like they were recently issued to troops who took serious care to keep their weapons functionally presentable.

Reverse the stock disassembly steps, reassemble and recombine the parts groups, and you are done.

This the same process I developed working on my own Garand, only mine has a Walnut GI stock, and was done with a lot more applications and cut-downs. I stick strictly to oil finishes, because the harder finishes can be difficult or impossible to repair as done above. Over time, the oil finish will get pretty hard, yet can be renewed and/or repaired as needed.

For M-14's or M1a's, there will be a temptation to replace the handguard with a wooden substitute. It will look great, but for shooting, the fiberglass unit is preferable from a cooling standpoint. The model with the slots is best. The version w/o the slots was to reinforce it for use when using it to get a step/boost while vaulting walls, etc., and is a compromise between strength and cooling.

For a shooter Garand, trim the edge of the handguard by about 1/16" in length where it abuts the receiver. This aids accuracy, because the wood can stretch when hot and actually stress the barrel, possibly affecting the hot zero.

That'll do it.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: camocorvette
That is great information and I really appreciate it. I am going to print it for reference. As I said I've always used Tru Oil but there is some finish from Laurel Mountain called Permalyn. It is very highly reviewed. Am also interested in it. Have you heard of it before?

Donovan

No, but mainly because I have done a lot of experimentation and have good experience with Tru-Oil/Tung Oil/Linseed Oil; and don't really see a need for me to look elsewhere.

The issue I have with the more impervious and permanent products is about what happens when it gets damaged. I know I can fully restore one of my Oil finishes. Furniture finishing is one thing; but rifles get used, and if the use needs to get harsh enough, I don't want to have to worry so much about consequences when I do these things my way. It's definitely more work, but at end of day, I think it's very much worth it.

I forgot something, too. The actual first finish I did in a similar fashion was my issued M-14 back in 1966. General Victor "Brute" Krulak snatched my rifle out of my hands during final inspection before the unit left for 'Nam. He complimented me on it, and made mention of it to my Company Commander when he commended the unit afterward. I was promoted to Lance Corporal on the spot. I carried (and used) that rifle all the way through a 13 month combat tour in Northern Quang Tri Province. Onboard ship going over, I dressed the finish down with steel wool, to remove that parade ground gleam. That had to be done.

"The Brute" went on to become Commandant, as did his Son. I am privileged to have met with both of them.

BTW, Mods, can we make this a sticky so others can get to it, and I can type this part less often.

Greg

Last edited:
Another year, another Memorial Day, another Rifle Squad salute. Three volleys were fired, seven rifles participating.

Maintenance will be extensive, again; mainly it's an excuse to do more improvements to the rifles. Last year was about the wood, this year is about the metal. All wood will receive another three coats of Boiled Linseed oil; the grain is filling up nicely.

All eight of the rifles are being detail stripped, cleaned, degreased, and all nicks and scratches in the metal parts are being reblued using Brownell 44-40 Instant Blue, Creme formula. The first four of the eight have undergone the metal touchup, and the results are looking very nice so far. This Instant Blue product works exceptionally well on almost all of the parts, resulting in a deep blue/black that combines almost indistinguishably with the original parkerizing/phosphate finish. The only parts that are resisting are the stamped sheet ferrules attached to the front of the Upper Handguards. They have received a second treatment, and I'm letting things go at that despite some faint ghost-like appearance of the worn metal under the resulting finish. Maybe I'll revisit this again next year.

Hard work, all fun.

Greg

Curation finished, rifles back in the VFW's locker, 15 man-hours expended. Every screw head aligned, BFA's all aligned with flats vertical, gas cylinders properly spaced, every small part is jet black. There are two more coats of BLO on the wood, which is starting to transition from a blond color to a light brown shade. Found some stamps on the underside of the lower hand guards indicating Bishop source. All in all, I can't think of a way to make their appearance nicer.

There's a lot of talk at the Canteen Bar to give the Garands more public play. Who knows, maybe our little town can bring about a parade; folks haven't been thinking this civic since before Obama days. We may need to brush up on our close order drill routines.

Greg

Last edited: