• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

M1a build/customize.

tflhndn

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2010
Greensboro, NC
HI all,

I am looking to buy/build an M1a for 800-100 yard shooting and looking for guidance.

I am pretty sure it I will be buying a JAE-100 stock, so I have a question? should I buy a top-end new M1A? or look for a cheaper/used model as a donor and customize/upgrade ieces from there? If I look for a used one, what should I look for (as far as received wear, etc.? - obviously I don't care if the stock has been chewed up.)

Or can I attempt to build one from scratch?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: M1a build/customize.

Welcome to The Hide!
I added an extra 0 for you
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tflhndn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HI all,

I am looking to buy/build an M1a for 800-1000 yard shooting and looking for guidance.</div></div>

Have it built the way you want it for the way you intend to use it.

SEI and the shooters den are good places to start.

Mine are built by SEI on Chinese receivers that I purchased used, all four have SEI barrels.
The two with Crazy Horse barrels are sub MOA accurate... there are other options.

If accuracy is your goal I would build it piece by piece. I hope you are ok with spending some serious coin. Get a good receiver like a Fulton, LRB, or SEI and go from there. A quality barrel like a Kreiger is a must. USGI parts are what you want. Maybe a NM trigger group. Or you can go with a quality builder like SEI to put something together for you(probably the easiest route). Or just get a Springfield NM and slap it in your JAE and spend the money on glass and ammo.

If you are starting from scratch go with a LRB M-25 reciever, it's forged top of the line. The integral scope rail is great.
LRB'll build the complete rifle for you with USGI parts and the barrel of your choice.
I have one built to NM specs, bedded in a McMillan M-3a and it shoots sub-moa.

If you can afford it, just buy exactly what you want from LRB, starting with the M25 receiver as akjaeger points out. Lou will put together a wonderful rifle, and he'll stand behind it too.

I have no love for SEI. Problems happen; try and find an instance where they've ever fixed a problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LFOD1776</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you can afford it, just buy exactly what you want from LRB, starting with the M25 receiver as akjaeger points out. Lou will put together a wonderful rifle, and he'll stand behind it too.

I have no love for SEI. Problems happen; try and find an instance where they've ever fixed a problem. </div></div>

tired.gif
Will you STFU and quit your bitching if I provide you with an
instance where SEI did in fact step up and fixed a problem?

confused.gif
Are you the guy with the SEI SUCKS web site?

A word of warning on the JAE-100: it's really for a precision rifle, in my opinion (and keep in mind <span style="font-style: italic">M1A Rifles are not precision rifles</span>)

First off, it's bulkier and heavier than the standard M14 stocks. Second, the cheek/stockweld is too high to use the iron sights comfortably. So if you really want to build a system with this stock I would suggest the LRB receiver with the integral scope mount.

On the plus side, the JAE-100 bedding and tension system is fantastic. It makes glass bedding and tuning seem archaic.

Or have the barreled action build started and bug the heck out of the guys at Manners to get one of their M14 stocks LOL.

I decided on the cowards way out and got a 308 AR instead of having a 14 built so I lost track of how the Manners prospect was tracking but it looks to be the solution to many 14 problems.

JAE adresses the same issues as the Manners but the Manners should be MUCH lighter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

JAE adresses the same issues as the Manners but the Manners should be MUCH lighter. </div></div>

How much lighter?
Do you have a link?

LFOD1776 has it out for Smith Enterprise. Dave Solin of Solin Armory out of Texas who also ownes smithenterprisesucks.com likes to slander and hide behind the internet world. He has no justified complaint nor has he ever. He is the type of individual who gets his panties in a bunch when someone doesn't kiss his ass and give him a reach around at the same time. Grow up Davey because there are a hell of a lot more people who couldn't dissagree with you more. Yes I do work for Smith Enterprise and no my name isn't Ron, it happens to be Andy and you can call me here anytime so I can rip your mouth off your mommys tit. Unlike you I am a Combat Veteran and who will not scream murder over an issue about a vortex wich Smith Enterprise did take care of for you. All you have ever done in this society is give the Firearms industry a bad wrap with your "gun guy" bull.

30calsniper weighed his 9.2 lbs for the rifle stock and scope
smile.gif

Here is the link http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1253683&page=1

If you read through the entire thread they mention that they are working on an inset of some type to mate the action without need for bedding. Thinking it will be something along the lines of the insert Tanks Rifle Shop is/was using.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or have the barreled action build started and bug the heck out of the guys at Manners to get one of their M14 stocks LOL. </div></div>

What he said. That Manners prototype looks like a great design for the M1A. I am sure that Manners would do it right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">30calsniper weighed his 9.2 lbs for the rifle stock and scope
smile.gif

Here is the link http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1253683&page=1

If you read through the entire thread they mention that they are working on an inset of some type to mate the action without need for bedding. Thinking it will be something along the lines of the insert Tanks Rifle Shop is/was using. </div></div>

Thank you for the link
smile.gif

I found this on the 1st page and the weight of 12.9 pounds sounds more realistic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 30calsniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have decided to move forward with the bedding block to make it a drop in.

I weighed mine last night. With scope installed it is 12.9 lbs.

</div></div>

My scoped M21A5 CH EBR weighs 14 Lbs. / 7.0 Oz. and this includes a medium heavy barrel, Tango Down bi pod and a SAGE EBR stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What can I say...I lerned to type from my dyslexic insomniac agnostic cousin, guy stays up all night wondering if there really is a dog.

12.9 it is lol </div></div>

grin.gif
LOL!!