• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

M1A Troy battle rail, Accuracy issues......

toptrigger630

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2008
South Carolina
I'll start off by saying that I'm not trying to start a bash session on Troy Ind.

I recently installed a Troy Dark Earth battle rail on my loaded m1a with a GI fiberglass stock. Prior to this I was using the standard m1a handguard with a sadlack aluminum base with lupy rings.

Since I installed the battle rail (followed the instructions to the letter) I have went from shooting 3/4 - 1 in groups @ 100yds to very inconsistant results, 4-5 in groups @ 100 yds....there is no rhyme or reason to the grouping, very inconsistant.

I did discover after inspection of the rifle that the GI stock had a hairline crack forming where I had installed a sadlack bipod stud.....probably overtightened, but I didn't get crazy with the wrench.

Any suggestions for diagnosing my problem would be greatly appreciated.....I'm am going to shoot the rifle Thurs., but I'm going to compare it with the GI stock and the factory walnut stock......Has anyone else experienced any problems with the battle rail?

Re: M1A Troy battle rail, Accuracy issues......

So the rifle was doing roughly MOA WITH the rail on then started to become inconsistent after an outing or two to the range?

If the answer is yes then I'd suspect that whatever is holding the rail to the rifle is loose. Inspect/check the bolts and put blue threadlocker if you didn't do that. Try this before your next outing.

The reason for the inconsistency if the rail is loose is because the scope is attached to the rail... If the rail moves the scope moves and your POI moves.

Re: M1A Troy battle rail, Accuracy issues......

Troy battle rail systems are extremely well engineered and designed specifically for the weapons they are made for. In addition, they produce their accessories to fit stock military weapons without the aid of advanced smithing for reliable and accurate fitting.

I have a Troy battle rail on my M1A Loaded with the synthetic GI stock and have no issues. I have a Harris bipod installed with a sling mount I ordered from Fulton Armory and it secures the bipod without issue.

The rail is solid and has been a stable base for my Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 scope without issue - the rail and the scope have maintained zero out to 800 yards while using 175 grain LC ammo.

I am guessing you have loose fittings, or something was not aligned correctly when you installed the rail - you may want to take it to a smith to check before putting any more rounds through it.

While installation was fairly straight forward, I didn't have an adequate bench to do the work myself, so I opted to pay a smith to install the rail - after all, the rifle cost just over $1500, along with a $600 scope and $150 rings - I wasn't going to skimp at that point. I have had no issues and the battle rail looks and fits on the rifle like it came off the line in that condition.

I'm getting just under 2 MOA groups at 800 yards with the current set up, using the bipods braced against sand bags ... I can't complain.