• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

M25 White Feather

brand692

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2009
Western NE
I've wanted a M25 White Feather for a long time. I always thought they were pretty slick and I've never cared for the AR10. I know they are a rare find, so would I be better off just building one from a LRB receiver? Or should I continue to wait for one to pop up for sale?

Re: M25 White Feather

You can build a better rifle on an LRB M25 for less money. Unless you absolutely want the Springfield exclusiveness go with a custom build. The M25 is hands down the way to go for mounting optics.

Well, I finally got a M1A, which is only fueling the fire to have one.

I have access to a LRB M25 receiver right now, so I could start a build. I'm sure I would be money ahead, even with a high end barrel and the LRB receiver.

Give Tony Law from Law483 a call, the website is a work in progress but I have one of his stocks with a cheek piece. I feel it surpasses the McMillan in the forend and feels better overall to me. I am waiting on a bedding job on an LRB M25 from Ted Brown and will probably see it back within 2 weeks. I have a USO 1.8-10x37 on the way but its at least 8 weeks out. I can post some pics of the rifle when I have it. A McMillan M3A will work for you if that's the one you like the most. Fulton Armory usually carries them in stock. link

Thanks Dark Horse. I appreciate the link as well.

I've bedded a few of my own bolt guns before, but I'm not sure that I'm really ready to try the M1A. Its a bit more complex and not really as straight forward as a bolt gun.

I've also considered a JAE-100. What kind of accuracy gains are there using their mounting plates? Is it really as good as a top notch bed job? Is the barrel tensioner all hype? I ask because right now they are having a 30% sale on all accessories. I can basically end up with a loaded JAE-100 G2 stock for the same as what a MCM MA3 with a bedding job would cost (assuming there would be some minor inletting and a finish put on the stock).

This may start a disagreement with JAE fans but it's only one person's experience from owning one. The accuracy was not good and I felt that the barrel tensioner made shooting consistent groups difficult. The M14 is a very temperamental beast and consistent accuracy is largely dependent on the barrel remaining free of pressure. I found as the barrel would heat up the grouping would shift considerably..one gentlemen actually compared it to pulling hard on the sling of a match rifle. Yes the tensioner does have a neutral setting..

Ted Brown did a test with the JAE and McMillan M3A. He shot several groups with the bedded M3A and then removed the barreled action and installed it in the JAE at neutral. Comparing groups from both he stated that the McMillan groups were tighter.

The JAE is also a tank. For strictly prone shooting this doesn't matter to a degree..unless the couple of extra pounds is making your day miserable because you have to hump it up a mountain. The M14 is a heavy rifle to begin with, adding that stock and optics just made it unwieldy.

So there you have it. JAE is easier to maintain and you can hang all the bells and whistles off of it, but I'll take the lighter, more accurate, fiberglass stock even if it means reconditioning the bedding every 5k rds.

Again, your input is greatly appreciated.

I am not a gunsmith by any stretch of the word. But, I do most of my own work. Outside of lathe work, I do it myself. That being said, I have some hesitations about bedding a M1A. It's not a typical "round receiver" bolt gun.

Is it best to send it off? If so, I assume (yes, I know) any of the typical M1A smiths do comparable jobs. Is that correct or is there a "GA Precision" for M1A's?

I've checked out the M14 firing line forum, but to be completely honest, it is somewhat disjointed and not the most user friendly. I had a fairly hard time sorting through it.

Thanks for informing someone new to M1As.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mildot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those rifles are wayyy over priced in my honest opinion, for that kind of money you can get a really nice custom built rifle </div></div>

Yes, and Springfield has discontinued the White Feather...

Also, screw traditional stock bedding!

Ron Smith and SEI build 1000 yard sub MOA M21A5 Crazy Horse rifles that sit in USGI synthetic stocks. These rifles are not bedded!

I had SEI build two M21A5 Crazy Horse M14s for me, one is tension bedded in a SAGE Mod 1 stock... the other is in a USGI synthetic stock... No traditional bedding.

While the JAE is nice for ease of installation, its hard to justify the cost with significant additional weight, especially if its not as accurate.

What do they come in at, weight wise? The website says 3.5-6 pounds. 3.5 is doable, but 6 is uncalled for. I would think that the a MCM MA3 comes in around 3.5 pounds bedded. Am I wrong?

I would consider any of the modular stocks, but no pistol grips here in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia...

Rebarrel the M1A scout with a nice SS National Match barrel. Grab a nice peice of birch to sit it in and throw that ARMS mount on it. Don't forget a peice of the couch pillow and some duct tape for a good cheek weld. I have an ST-10 for sale if you needed one.

3.5 lbs is the bare stock with nothing else attached. Start adding the adjustable cheek piece, butt pad, palm rest, and rails to make it functionable and you are quickly up to 5.5 lbs...and believe me the extra 2 lbs makes a difference. Depending on your choice in optics and barrel you will end up with a 14-15 lb battle rifle...completely unacceptable to me.

Mine will come in around 12.5 lbs, still heavy but I put up with it because it is a proven platform and I shoot it better than the AR10.

I am so taken with the Troy stock for it's inherant scope mounting solution of using a monolithic rail, but MAN that old school synthetic stock and an ARMS mount are so 'Viet Nam' cool for building my FAM14 into a M21 I may just have to go there.
I found out a few SUmmers ago that I kind of suck at open sights nowadays so a scope is about the way to go...or eye surgery!

H20 man,

I respect your experience with the Crazy Horse rifles and I wish I could emulate the same, but I had one built on a LRB in a GI stock that wouldn't shoot minute of barn at any range, let alone 1k. I won't be able to agree with you on traditional bedding based on my experience to date with the M14. Ron doesn't like the bedding in a military application for obvious reasons and I have not met one serious M14 shooter that does not bed the rifle. I believe there are some out there with GI stocks that mate well with the receivers and good accuracy is attainable but I would say its the exception and not the norm.

Of course none of the traditional shooters use anything less than the standard 22" barrel and swear anything less can't stabilize past 600 yards. So my experience with all non-bedded applications have been 18.5" barrels or shorter so its possible there is some truth to the theory. I am looking forward to getting this rifle back from Ted and shooting it at 600 yards. If the 18.5" isn't up to par I will suck it up and drop a 22" on it.

Happy to hear that you have had success with your rifles, I have not been so lucky.

Do go there. Maybe it's just me but I can't look at an M14 in anything other than the traditional stock. It's kind of like taking a mint '69 Camaro and installing low-profile "pimp" wheels and suicide doors...uh no.

Yup, the Whitefeather was sadly the most overpriced underwhelming rifle I've seen in recent years. M1As are battle rifles, not precision rifles. I know some guys can get them to shoot well but far and away the most common result I've seen is 2-3MOA. Anything less than that requires serious work that I honestly don't think you need on other rifles.

Dogtown, first off, I like your sig.

I'm not looking for a AR10. I'm just feeding an obsession that I've had for some time.

I'm going to give Fulton a call tomorrow and see if they have a M3A in stock. Anyone else that may have them in stock?

First, Dogtown, Dark Horse, and brand692, I like your signatures very much.

Second, I have a White Feather rifle that does shoot about 3/4 MOA, so far. Sounds like it might be a rarity! I know I can shoot better than that, because I have, regularly, with different guns. After shooting the White Feather and the Knight SR-25, I would say that if you want a semi-auto, and you can get a Knight SR-25 instead, you will be much happier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">H20 man,

I respect your experience with the Crazy Horse rifles and I wish I could emulate the same, but I had one built on a LRB in a GI stock that wouldn't shoot minute of barn at any range, let alone 1k.

</div></div>
Dark horse,

Since SEI test fires every rifle they build for function and accuracy... I would say what you have described above is the exception and not the norm. I will assume that you returned the rifle to SEI for repair... what did SEI need to do to correct the problem?

Also, non-traditional bedding is outstanding! All but one of my M14s are tension bedded in SAGE EBR stocks - Ron builds the military issue MK14 SEI and it is tension bedded in a SAGE stocks with a medium heavy 18" Crazy Horse barrel. Currently the Navy and the Air Force PJ use this rifle.

It is my experience that the SAGE bedding system is superior to old school traditional bedding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I would consider any of the modular stocks, but no pistol grips here in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia... </div></div>

SAGE offers a Kali legal EBR stock. They are the lightest EBR made. I recommend that you replace the factory butt stock with a shotgun butt stock from HOGUE. you will need a cheek riser if you run traditional optics.

SAGEKIT.jpg

Good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a White Feather rifle that does shoot about 3/4 MOA, so far. </div></div>

Let me know when you want to sell it! LOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: brand692</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've wanted a M25 White Feather for a long time. I always thought they were pretty slick and I've never cared for the AR10. I know they are a rare find, so would I be better off just building one from a LRB receiver? Or should I continue to wait for one to pop up for sale? </div></div>

Brand692,

If you want a genuine M25 Whitefeather for your collection then you would have to pick one up already made as the receiver is unique. Those I have spoken to that have these rifles like the way they shoot.

However, as others have metioned here, you can build a VERY NICE custom rifle on an LRB Arms M25 receiver for the same or less money. If you are willing to search around for the right major components and wait for the right builder to build it, you can have it made to your vision rather than to SAI's vision.