M80 Ball - magnetic bullets?

judgedelta

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2010
Mississippi
I'm tired of paying almost 30 cents for 168 SMKs to shoot at 100 yds. Anyone have experience with the 147 gr. ball tips? I understand from the advertisement that these bullets have a steel jacket with a copper plating. Any barrel damage? What about a good-shooting load suggestion? Thanks

Re: M80 Ball - magnetic bullets?

I'm pretty sure the 7.62 NATO ball 147gn bullets are just lead and copper. I've never heard of any steel pieces in them.

I get 0.5-0.7 MOA groups at 100yd using these in NATO surplus brass, WLR primers and 43.7gn RE-15 in my 24inch 1:12 R700 BDL-V. I haven't chrono'd them though. Probably too hot for a gas gun. Why 43.7 you ask? Very scientific: that's the same volume as 44.5 varget and that's what my thrower was set to.

I've also cheated on this load by just pulling the bullets from NATO ammo (gun-show special in M-60 belts) and replacing the powder with precisely measured RE-15 and re-seating the original bullets.

This is the script from the ad at polygunbags.com. I don't believe everything I read...

.308 / 7.62 x 51 Lake City M80 ball tips, pulled, in like new condition, 147 grain, lead core, in the round and ready to load. Polished. Magnetic jacket bullets are a steel jacket with thick copper plating. Frankford arsenal did testing for the US Gov't. Results of the tests showed no difference in barrel wear between magnetic and non-magnetic jackets. The only concern of the magnetic jackets is that they put a little more wear on the steel targets and some ranges restrict the use of magnetic bullets because of possible fire hazard (sparks produce when hitting hard targets).

I must have missed something. I thought you were talking about plain old garden variety 147gn NATO ball. I've never heard of the magnetic thing. Sounds like some experimental thing, or I've just been out of it for so long that I didn't know about these.

I can see steel (cheaper, harder), but what does the fact that steel is magnetic have to do with it? I'm assuming that's key since it is mentioned in the blurb from polygunbags.

The U S Military specification for M-80 ball calls for a 147 gr. mild steel jacketed bullet. When the Military starting to use the 7.62X 51MM cartridge, the first ammunition used the M-59 ball, which was a 150 gr bullet with an iron core.

The Military decided to go with the M-80 bullet for general issue with the mild steel jacket to penetrate light skinned vehicles instead of the M-59 with an iron core.

True U S Military specification M-80 ball uses a mild steel jacket. Other NATO countries use a 147 gr. FMJ bullet which can be mild steel jacketed, gilding metal jacketed or nickel plated jackets.

For an answer for the OP. The 147 FMJ M-80 style bullet, either mild steel or gilding metal jacket is not a very accurate bullet due to It's open base design. You might find some that may be about MOA accurate, but most of these bullets will give you 1-2 MOA or more.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm tired of paying almost 30 cents for 168 SMKs to shoot at 100 yds.</div></div>

Try cast bullets.

I'm game, Kraig. Gimme some idea of what bullet, load, to shoot in a .308 gas gun with cast bullets; and are you talking about buying cast boolets, or casting my own? Do you have to lube these things, or what? The only cast bullets I ever shot were in a .45 LC. Thanks...

A place you can try for pulled bullets is : http://www.shop.rmrbullets.com/aboutus.sc

Right now, he doesn't have much 30 cal. , but at times there are 150-165 grain soft point flat based bullets pulled from factory ammo. Prices are in the 15¢-16¢-17¢ per bullet shipped in 1000 round lots. I would keep an eye there. You'll have to buy in bulk to save $$$. Flat base bullets shoot very well out to 300 yards.

I have used the pulled M-80 bullets to use in my autoloaders (M1-A's, FAL's and Garands). I don't shoot them in my SR-25, mainly because it is tuned to 168 grain ammunition. Those M-80 bullets are fine for plinking and shooting at steel with battle rifles. There are some gilding metal 147 FMJ bullets being sold
if you don't want to us the M-80 bullets. They do cost a bit more.

There is a lot of information on the net regarding mild steel jacketed bullets and barrel wear. Some say no more wear than gilding metal jackets and some say about 15% more wear. Our military tested steel jackets VS gilding metal jacket wear and concluded that there was not enough wear to to make a difference. I can understand some who don't want to put steel jacketed bullets down their Bartlein, Rock, Hart, Kreiger, Lilja, etc. barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm game, Kraig. Gimme some idea of what bullet, load, to shoot in a .308 gas gun with cast bullets;</div></div>

I use 150 grn gas check bullets, sized to .311. I make my own lube.

16 oz was
16 oz vasoline
1 tsp of RCPS Case lube

Load to about 1100 fps works best in my rifles. I've shot a ton of them in my M1A and Garand at 50 ft NRA SB rifle targets.

Mostly for offhand practice in the off season (winter).

If you take care in casting your bullets, they can be pretty dern accurate, not to mention cheap to shoot.

I load both the polygunbag non-magnetic 147's over 31 of H4895 and Lee CTL-160-2R (sized to 309) over 33.3 of Varget. Nice reduced load for plinking and trigger pull practice. The cast are tumble lubed, gas checked. Both loads push about 1900 FPS. Not sure if they will cycle a gas gun though.

Either way, the PGB 147 are a good value. I pay a bit more for the non-mag because my range does not allow ferrous bullets or cases.

I can shoot the 147's at 50Y and they are the exact trajectory as my full loads at 100Y, so I dont have to change my scope settings.