M995 Action good for anything?

Coyote Kev

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2018
Pierre SD
Turns out I have a Sako 7mm with a M995 action. I havnt used the rifle in years. In my recent research on building a Tikka based rifle for my son it occurs to me that maybe this is a good action. But I don't know. Is this an outdated action or is it worth building a chassis rifle off of?

Probably a great action as most Scandinavian made actions are.
But you'll need to get a flat top stock custom inlet for it. Which isn't that hard. I doubt anyone makes a chassis for it.
If it's a barreled action you could buy a cheap boyds stock for it and sell it to get something that you want.

Well, its better than any action you don't own...

Your situation with your sons rifle seems to be a matter of value proposition.

I don't have any experience with that particular action, I have no doubt that its a good one. The question really then becomes one of whether its worth the expense of modifying to meet your sons needs.

There's not a lot of aftermarket support for the M995, but it looks like KRG makes at least one chassis that will work: https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/whiskey-3-chassis/

You will also have to send that action off to a gunsmith for your .22-250 barrel, which is another cost to factor in. That's likely ~$800-900. Someone like LRI would be a great gunsmith for this project.

Unless you can find options that are more affordable, it looks like that M995 will cost you around ~$1800+ to modify for your sons project. A custom rifle will likely be around ~$2500+, and you could sell this rifle to offset that price somewhat. You could go the Tikka route as explored in the other thread, but that's likely a similar price to the M995 (but again, you could sell the M995 to offset that cost a bit). Or you could just get a Howa for ~$1k.

At the end of the day, it's a coyote and p-dog gun. How much do you want to dump into it?

This is not the same project or I would have mentioned it in the other thread. My m995 is right handed. I want to build my son a left handed bolt. I just thought I'd ask because I'm finding that Sako (Tikka) actions are respected and valued.

This is not the same project or I would have mentioned it in the other thread. My m995 is right handed. I want to build my son a left handed bolt. I just thought I'd ask because I'm finding that Sako (Tikka) actions are respected and valued.

Gotcha. For some reason I thought this was related to your other thread.

Well, what do YOU think of the action? That's really the only thing that matters.

Havnt shot it in years. I'm mostly wondering what kind of aftermarket support it has with prefit barrels, chassis, triggers, etc.

Very little.

Only chassis that I could find is the KRG one I linked in the above post.

Triggers you have Jard (here) and BnA (here). There may be some others.

For barrels, I'm not sure. If the M995 shares the same tenon as the Tikka T3, then you are in luck. More than a few companies make prefits for the Tikkas. You would have to verify if this is the case.

Perhaps one of our resident gunsmiths might have more knowledge on the M995 tenon? @LRI @bohem

Excellent action, its just a sporterized TRG. I've had a few but am currently down to a single 375 H&H. That said...don't bother.

McMillan used to make stocks, and PTG made bottom metal. The bottom metal was always the hard part to get, a smith rebarreling it is pretty straightforward. Prefits weren't really even a thing when these were made. I believe McMillan dropped the inlet when they got bought out, but someone could manage from a flat top. Finding a mag it will feed from will be your next problem, an AI mag isn't great (if it will even fit the mag inlet). So you'd be looking at adapting some other mag to it and hoping the bottom metal works out dimensionally for mag and trigger positioning.

GA Precision used to do some really cool TRG-S/995 builds.

It is doable, it will be painful and time consuming these days, and it will cost much, much more than just buying a decent action that components are easily available for.

Reactions: kthomas
Very little.

Only chassis that I could find is the KRG one I linked in the above post.

Triggers you have Jard (here) and BnA (here). There may be some others.

For barrels, I'm not sure. If the M995 shares the same tenon as the Tikka T3, then you are in luck. More than a few companies make prefits for the Tikkas. You would have to verify if this is the case.

Perhaps one of our resident gunsmiths might have more knowledge on the M995 tenon? @LRI @bohem
Off the top of my head I believe you're correct. I haven't done many of them, I know the 595 is identical.

Reactions: kthomas
Turns out I have a Sako 7mm with a M995 action. I havnt used the rifle in years. In my recent research on building a Tikka based rifle for my son it occurs to me that maybe this is a good action. But I don't know. Is this an outdated action or is it worth building a chassis rifle off of?
Have a look through this:

I've built a long range rifle from a M995/TRG-S in a TRG-42 stock/chassis. Some pics in the thread above.

It is a TRG-42 action with the top milled of (as previously stated) and as such is an excellent base for a long range build.

Previous replies in this thread has also spoken about its shortcomings.

With that said. A KRG W3, a TRG-42 stock or a mix and match of those could be enought. The W3 let's you use AICS mags and a -42 stock... well, TRG-42 mags.

The barrel tenon is the same on TRG-22/42, so KRG, SAC or anyone willing to make a 27x1,5 thread I guess.

It is a long action able to fit a 338LM, so a 7/.30 PRC?

Where you will have som trouble is mounting optics. Sako Optilock extended bases works, but might not be to your liking.

Good luck with what ever you decide.